Home Main Category Hunting

Turkey Time at Teach and Mary's Place

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberEastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
As many folks saw in Mary's thread, the turkey hunt this past Wednesday was a success. I wanted to share the pics and story leading up to that without cluttering up her post because there was a lot more cool stuff than just turkey hunting going on at their place.

First and foremost, let me say that I'm am perpetually amazed by the hospitality I've received when visiting their farm. They have given me a room, bed and shower to use without hesitation since my first time out their this past fall. Mary has gotten up before dawn to make me breakfast before my hunts, a favor that I would never ask of her but that she consistently provides. Jerry set me up with a caplock rifle to use during muzzleloader season and spent hours with me on the range tuning up my own flintlock rifle. He even let me tag along during one of his vehicle inspections and gave me a complimentary tour of the Huntsville area along the way.

As for their farm, it's definitely got a healthy population of native fauna. I came up a week and a half prior to my successful turkey hunt to try and score one and get the birds patterned. Their family friend, Elvan, had already set up a few blinds around the property and was kind enough to join me on this first trip.
While I didn't get anything on the first trip, I did get to see all of the blinds Elvan laid out before the season and got some birds patterned. I actually spotted the two jakes that ultimately came to my calling and decoys the next time out in one of the fields. I made a mental note of that area and the time they were sighted (around 11:30 AM).

This past week, I set up in the same field that I had last seen the jakes. One of the blinds is right at the corner of that field and it would only take minor coaxing to get them near it. I put out an Avian-X hen and half-strut jake decoy 20 yards from the front of the blind. Just before dawn on the day of the hunt, I head some gobbles fairly close (maybe 200 yards away) and used a mouth call to hopefully persuade the birds to show up and spot my decoys. At 6:30AM, they walked into the field, several hours earlier than I expected.

As soon as the birds spotted the decoys, they quickly went from curious to flatout pissed off. The presence of that jake decoy with an apparently receptive hen in the mix had them stirred up. The jakes transitioned from a curious run to a furious trot in a matter of seconds and were on top of the decoys in the blink of an eye. You can only shoot one bearded bird a day in Tennessee, so it was imperative that I allow for ample separation between the birds before I shot. I also spent a pretty penny on those semi-inflatable Avian-X decoys and didn't want to blast them, so timing was going to be critical.

A second or two after one of the jakes got in the clear, I blasted him with a 12 GA Remington Nitro Turkey #6 load at 21 yards. He folded right up.

Luis%20with%20Turkey%20-%20Dellrose%20TN%20-%2022%20Apr%202015_zpsqih7stwj.jpg

Turkey%20with%20Shotgun%20-%20Dellrose%20TN%20-%2022%20Apr%202015_zpsg8mzhowe.jpg

The other jake hung around and I toyed with him with my calls until he finally spooked out of the field a good while later. It always feels good to get it done early in the morning and have the rest of the day to relax. Thanks again to Mary, Jerry and Elvan for their help in making this happen!
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    We were also treated to some other pretty cool wildlife sightings while sitting in the blind on that first trip out:

Two young bucks, one of whom had shed his antlers and another who had not...in mid-April!
    [video=youtube_share;NA_Sx66M-A4]http://youtu.be/NA_Sx66M-A4[/video]
    A hen that showed up in this same field for a few days in a row:
    [video=youtube_share;aOl7vwzRNWg]http://youtu.be/aOl7vwzRNWg[/video]
    Another deer who ate for about 20 minutes in this field and then got within 12 yards of the blind before walking off:
    [video=youtube_share;294nUK_ZIJI]http://youtu.be/294nUK_ZIJI[/video]
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,754 Senior Member
    Sounds like a fabulous time with fabulous hosts. Hope to meet them one day.

Sako
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,754 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You can. At the end of May....

Good show, Louis!

Believe me, I have been trying to make that happen......

Sako
    ^^Amen!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,402 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    We were also treated to some other pretty cool wildlife sightings while sitting in the blind on that first trip out:

Two young bucks, one of whom had shed his antlers and another who had not...in mid-April!
    [video=youtube_share;NA_Sx66M-A4]http://youtu.be/NA_Sx66M-A4[/video]

Soon as I heard that train sounding off in the distance a flood of memories came to mind................You suck!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Great hunting Luis as usual. I always say, turkey are like any other wild game. If you want a trophy, do all the extra BS to lure a big tom in. If you want to eat, shoot a nice Jake or Hen. They're usually much better than a tom.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I've never shot or eaten a hen, but come the Fall, if I'm able to get back down with Teach for deer season (which just so happens to coincide with fall turkey), that may change. At the end of the day, I am very happy to have gotten a bird. Hopefully, I'll be blessed with one more before the season is done.
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    There are a lot of exotics there at the end of May.
    Alec - that train is a staple of the scenery at this point. It also makes for good auditory camo!

Ned - are any of those exotics in season at the end of May? :tooth:
    Six-Gun wrote: »

Ned - are any of those exotics in season at the end of May? :tooth:
    2 of them
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member South DakotaPosts: 2,040 Senior Member
    Nicely done! Sounds like a great hunt and visit!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    2 of them

Are you talking four legged or TWO legged exotics?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Hey, I forgot to post this earlier, but knitepoet also made a surprise visit while I was out there. He joined me and Teach for lunch just behind the chicken!

B1FED175-E9D2-41C5-92B2-52BB1F1E0C46_zpspthyocoh.jpg
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Seriously, it's a fantastic time. I look forward to the nxt year as soon as I leave their driveway.

CPJ speaketh the truth. Evan my wife who is not a shooter enjoys the get together
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Your wife's name is Evan
    we're going to be watching you, boy