Home Main Category General Firearms

Calebib comes through again!

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberVirginiaPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
I decided to add a ring and lanyard to my old Ruger Service Six, in anticipation for getting back to hiking in our nearby National Forest and getting my slowly recovering leg back into shape. Hamilton Bowen offers a ring to replace the factory grip screw for Hogue rubber grips, but there is nothing for their wood grips. He does, however, sell rings with unfinished shafts.

I called him and ordered one in stainless, which was then shipped off to our resident gunsmith calebib, who has done excellent work for me and others here, along with the stock Hogue screw for the checkered monogrip I added to the revolver last year. He trimmed it, turned it, and threaded it, and here is the splendid result in a hasty and unflattering pic.

Service%20Six%20Ring_zpsc0vmfqhs.jpg

The lanyard will come later, once I decide which one to get. In the meantime, I got a ring blank for calebib too, for a personal project he's working on. He'll be along later on that.

Thanks, amigo! :beer:
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Looks good, now you are ready to play Indiana Jones :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • shushshush Senior Member This Sceptical Isle.Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    That is very nice.

Well done that man.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member VirginiaPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Looks good, now you are ready to play Indiana Jones :tooth:

Yeah, but I loaned my bullwhip to Wambli when he made Moderator and now he won't give it back! :jester:
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    shush wrote: »
    That is very nice.

Well done that man.

Calebib does excellent work; he's made his bones here with several of us, and I recommend him highly.

NRA Endowment Member
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Looks great, Larry! Nice choice for a backcountry rig. Yes, he does very good work. He's in the midst of a rescue project for me right now and I have full confidence that it will be amazing.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    That does look quite good.

I never used a lanyard while shooting. The military .38 they armed us with had the ring and swivel and was used to tie the revolver
    into the pouch on our survival vests or not depending on the squadron and location.

I did use the ring and swivel to assist in gripping the small wooden grips during range sessions, however. The ring was shaped differently as I remember.
    Ned, Bowen's rings are circular as shown; the old Smith & Wesson 'rings' were flat ovals and swiveled in two dimensions. The Bowen rings do not swivel around the axis of the grip frame, but do swing freely in their mount.

I assume Bowen did this to eliminate the risk of having the lanyard wrap itself around the firearm as the ring swiveled around the grip. The ring itself does jingle a bit without anything attached, but that should quiet down once a lanyard is mounted on it.

NRA Endowment Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Calebib does excellent work; he's made his bones here with several of us, and I recommend him highly.

All I've seen is pictures of his work, but you can tell even in a picture it is of the highest quality work. If he lived closer to me I would send him work. My gun smith is good, as far as fitting parts and headspacing and triggers, but he is not the finishing artist Cale is.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,717 Senior Member
    Looks great! IMHO a very practical and useful mod for a revolver. Nice!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,565 Senior Member
    Looks good and functional. :worthy:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    cpj wrote: »
    The ring looks nice.

What did cleopatra say to the asp?

NRA Endowment Member
    "Bite me."

NRA Endowment Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Very nice job.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Near St. LouisPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
    That component just seems to go with that revolver. Great idea and nicely executed.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,314 Senior Member
    That is really nice. I need to get one just like that
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    He did do an excellent job on the machining of the blank. In addition to the functional work, he also turned a shoulder on the hilt of the shaft to fit the recess in the Hogue grip, and finished it to be square to the revolver when tightened, as you can see.

My local guy, Sam Hatfield, is my go-to for most of my work, but for the good stuff on my "keepers," Caleb is my guy.

NRA Endowment Member
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Somewhere north of MozambiquePosts: 6,637 Senior Member
    I guess you liked it? :troll:

Nice work Caleb! :beer:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    cpj wrote: »
    You went over my head with a historical reference there, Sam.

Watch the Movie!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I wonder what he would charge for a simple stock checkering job on a walnut Rifle Stock?
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member ColoradoPosts: 1,701 Senior Member
    I'm glad it worked out so well, Larry. Always happy to help.