Home Main Category General Firearms

Anybody looking for 45cal barrels 16" for $10

HvyMaxHvyMax Senior MemberSMIBville(Southern MD)Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
http://blackthorneproducts.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=975 Got a few on the way!!! hope they will hold up to 460 Rowland and 460 S&W in a block or trunion!!!
Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    That is one heck of a deal!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I believe you would have to be a machinist to use them. How would you remove that trunion? What would you use it for?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member SMIBville(Southern MD)Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    Kinda looks like they would use a barrel nut on the end of a receiver. When I get them I will figure it out. A friend with a lathe is a handy thing to have. I am debating on a grease gunnish design with a barrel nut at the end of the receiver or turning and threading them for a 460 Rowland Mac10 carbine and maybe a 460 S&W AR then who knows what I will come up with after that??? Might need 4-5 more and build a Gatling??? The possibilities are endless when you have tools and inspiration!!!
    They also have tons of deals on AR kits and uppers as well as other goodies.
    I am only guessing at this point but they were probably made to use on an AR upper maybe using a Suomish, Stennish, M3ish bolt.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    Evidently Blackthorne = Hesse = Vulcan.

I'd stay far, far away from what they're selling.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/449376_Blackthorne_Products.html
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=41761
    I'm just here for snark.

Yeah I know but if these work out it is an insane low price and if it doesn't I used a CC so they can only screw me around so much.
  • shushshush Senior Member This Sceptical Isle.Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That is one heck of a deal!

“Brand new .45 ACP barrel is 16" long…”

Is that the calibre or the cartridge for the barrel?
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member

Yeah, I probably wouldn't buy a finished upper from them, based on what I've read. That said, I did buy an AR barrel from them, and the extension hasn't loosened or the FSB hasn't lost it's pins. It's a gamble, just depends on whether it's worth it to the person laying down the money. Be sure to thoroughly inspect anything you buy before use, but that's a good idea generally. I've bought a few items from them because the price was right, everything's always showed up. Not necessarily the highest quality, but pretty much what I expected for the price.

To those that have ordered these barrels, please post pics when they show up. I'm just curious at this point, not too worried if I do miss out on the deal, but there are a couple other items I might be interested in if they're still around when I get ready to order. Thanks
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
    shush wrote: »
    “Brand new .45 ACP barrel is 16" long…”

Is that the calibre or the cartridge for the barrel?
    It's a 16" barrel chambered for 45acp. It appears to have some kind of attaching point at the rear where something like a barrel nut would hold it up against the end of a receiver. maybe somebody was planning a run of M3 carbines or something. For that price the possibilities are endless. Some lathe time and a few chamber reamers and they can become almost anything that hurls a 45 caliber projectile.
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Wonder what the twist rate is.
    .650 Outside diameter, roughly .45 inside diameter. About a tenth of an inch wall thickness. Hmm....
    Unless my math or reasoning is off, that is. Just seems a bit thin, esp. for the higher pressure rounds.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
    Unknown barrel specification.

.45 ACP (21,000 psi)

.460 Rowland (40,000 psi)

.460 S&W (65,000 psi)
    Unknown barrel specification.

.45 ACP (21,000 psi)

.460 Rowland (40,000 psi)

.460 S&W (65,000 psi)

Frequently a 45 acp can just be reamed to 460 Rowland depending on many factors. For the 460 S&W I would mount the chamber end in a block or trunnion of some sort that would reinforce it exponentially. The worst the Rowland upgrade would need would be a sleeve on the chamber which should be fine with what I am planning which includes threading and adding a lug where the barrel buts to the receiver I could easily extend a sleeve off of it that should be more than sufficient to reinforce the chamber.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    Hmm. Cut the trunion off, make of of Tennmike' s single shot specials in 454 or 460....
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Look at the ad- - - - -I wouldn't trust that thinwall tube with anything hotter than a Cowboy Action load! Did P.T. Barnum design those things?
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Rather than a stand alone barrel, those things seem to be more in the line of a barrel sleeve to be press fit, soldered, epoxied, or otherwise fit inside a reinforcement sleeve. They are way too thin for using as is, and a .460 Rowland or .460 S&W would explode those things into a nice banana peel shape. I'm not all that sure that they would survive a .45ACP round. Wile E. Coyote wouldn't use them as is, even if they came from the Acme catalog.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    In other words, they're just perfect for Max to play around with!
    :jester:
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    In other words, they're just perfect for Max to play around with!
    :jester:
    Jerry

:rotflmao: I think ya got that right! It's a rare person that having peed on an electric fence once, goes back for seconds! :silly: :roll2:
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    ........Wile E. Coyote wouldn't use them as is, even if they came from the Acme catalog.

If old W E could acquire or make a couple sets of these;

He may be able to make a pair of these;

02leftside.jpg

And be a proper highwayman.
    H&P.jpg 28.7K
    If old W E could acquire or make a couple sets of these;

He may be able to make a pair of these;

02leftside.jpg

And be a proper highwayman.

Those pistols were offered over here in the '70s and into the '80s, but I forget who imported/made them. Both of the ones sold in the States had a habit of burning the trigger finger from sparks and escaping fire from the nipple. The trigger guard/spring also had a habit of 'walking out of its slot in the hammer. There is still a rifle kit for sale here in the States.

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/underhammer.shtml

Ownership of the rifle or pistol is O.K., but shooting one, there is a requirement that you first study the Sailor's Book of Magic Words and Phrases, or the Marine companion book Marine Drill Sgt. Book of Magic Words and Phrases. Proper cursing follows proper form, and separates the acolyte from the master. :rotflmao:
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    Proper cursing follows proper form, and separates the acolyte from the master. :rotflmao:

A flintlock would be out of the question then? :jester:

Ah!.......... A swivel, underbarrel pinfire..............

Come on work with me.

The bloody barrels are on the way. :head:
    A flintlock would be out of the question then? :jester:

Ah!.......... A swivel, underbarrel pinfire..............

Come on work with me.

The bloody barrels are on the way. :head:

I like the idea of a swivel barrel caplock rifle. Take two 15/16" across the flats .58 cal. barrels and drill/ream them to take the .45 cal. barrels. That would make a short, not so heavy, two shot rifle for hunting thick cover.

And a flintlock volley gun would be oh so sweet!

Volley%20gun_zps9tpgfkts.jpg
    ― Douglas Adams
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,401 Senior Member
    Doesn't matter what the barrels are like....................we need VIDEO of the first couple of firings............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    They are supposed to be here Thursday so I will figure it out. They will probably need a trunion or block of some kind but for the price I just can't help but be inspired.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,401 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    They are supposed to be here Thursday so I will figure it out. They will probably need a trunion or block of some kind but for the price I just can't help but be inspired.

I just hope you don't get 'blown away' by how cheap they are....................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Not quite as inexpensive, but Green Mountain sells unturned blanks for $50 or so. The price is right for someone with access to a lathe and likes to tinker.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Not quite as inexpensive, but Green Mountain sells unturned blanks for $50 or so. The price is right for someone with access to a lathe and likes to tinker.

I just happen to have two of those Green Mountain .45 cal. blanks 24" x 1 1/8" sitting in the living room waiting on me to turn them down and fit them to an action. Single shot .45 Colt bolt action is the plan. Woo Hoo!
    ― Douglas Adams
    Mine are here. Seems to be amazingly well done for what I don't know. Beautiful weld machined and the flange as well. Now to figure out what to make with them.