Home Main Category General Firearms

Well, That's not going to work... (SxS 45-70)

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 12,313 Senior Member
After many trials and tribulations, mis-shipped rings, returns, lost orders, and two trips to Cabela's, I finally got the Weaver Kaspa 1x scope mounted up to the Bakail/ Remington/ EAA/USSG Side by Side 45-70. And the setup looks really cool:

Yeah, it looks really good:

But... After getting the eye relief set, and messing around with it for a while, I am not a fan of this:

The barrels and front sight block off almost half of the field of view. Plus, the scope overhangs the breach enough that it is hard to get the empties out, and the fresh cartridges back in. Damnit, that was a lot of work to get something I just don't like.

Thinking I might put the Primary Arms micro-red dot off my AK pistol on this for a fast sight. Won't look nearly as cool, but will probably be much more usable. Any suggestions on an 11mm to picatinny rail adapter?
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    After many trials and tribulations, mis-shipped rings, returns, lost orders, and two trips to Cabela's, I finally got the Weaver Kaspa 1x scope mounted up to the Bakail/ Remington/ EAA/USSG Side by Side 45-70. And the setup looks really cool:

Yeah, it looks really good:

But... After getting the eye relief set, and messing around with it for a while, I am not a fan of this:

The barrels and front sight block off almost half of the field of view. Plus, the scope overhangs the breach enough that it is hard to get the empties out, and the fresh cartridges back in. Damnit, that was a lot of work to get something I just don't like.

Thinking I might put the Primary Arms micro-red dot off my AK pistol on this for a fast sight. Won't look nearly as cool, but will probably be much more usable. Any suggestions on an 11mm to picatinny rail adapter?

Yeah true, but actually you have plenty of practical field of view. Think about this, this scope is one power, in other words it has no magnification. So what you see will be the same with any sight, unless you would install a higher magnification. It's the same view you would have without a scope.

As for manipulating loading, I think practice is the key. Think about this, a bolt action with a scope poses similar problems if not on ejection, on loading. Does this rifle have true ejectors, or only extractors? In other words does it throw the spent shells out when you open the action? Or does it just pull them back about a quarter to a half inch where you can grab them and pull them out? If it has true ejectors, have you tried it yet? If they're only extractors I don't know what to tell you except what I said about practice.

I personally think you have a potential winner here as is. Just need some adjustment time. Either that or figure out how to attach a scout scope. As for rails. EWG or is it EGW has some nice ones. They ain't cheap but not prohibitively expensive. I think it was Jayhawker that turned me on to them, so maybe he can chime in here and get the name right or suggest something better.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
    Yes it does look cool and yes, the FOV kind of sucks on those kaspa 1x's. I bought one and it ended up on an old single shot .22 because I could not find anything else I liked it on.

Sako
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Got a 3-9x scope laying around? A little magnification will help those obstructions out front disappear. Maybe a long eye relief pistol or scout scope, so you can move it forward a bit to clear the breech area. Just a couple ideas, to help maintain the look. YMMV.

I think Snake is talking about Evolution Gun Works. I haven't dealt with them myself, but I've heard good things.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Re read my post, I edited it some.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,698 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    . . .the scope overhangs the breach enough that it is hard to get the empties out, and the fresh cartridges back in. . .

If you haven't killed it with two rounds of .45-70, sepukku/hara-kiri is probably more necessary than a quick reload.:jester:

The two things that most bug me about the one I bought for my dad were:

1. The automatic safety (easy surgery took care of that).

2. Extractors instead of ejectors - especially since the springs in the gun default to holding the barrels and receiver of the open action at such an angle that the cases don't come out easily. Best tactic is to hold the gun fully open with both hands and chuck the empties over your shoulder. Scope or no, getting fresh ones loaded in a hurry is not as quick as it could be because the gun doesn't want to stay fully open without help.

Love the gun, but aside from caliber, it's not fully optimized as a dangerous game rig.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,663 Senior Member
    I know you don't like the blocked view on the bottom 1/2 of the scope, but how does it come up to your shoulder? Start in the low position and touch a couple off before you punt on it.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Ask jbohio to come down there and test fire it to see if the scope is mounted right.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I promise you that scope is too far back on the mount and you know how I already know this.

I suggest you move it up about 1.5 inches.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • timctimc Senior Member TexasPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
    You sound like me when I was going through what I wanted for optics on mine!
    This is how I started and it didn't work well for me....
    AC59508C-8E16-48C9-B270-5E90D6C980F7-5631-00000D7AEB2C09CB_zps8015a8c8.jpg

So I went with this Burris fastfire which works really well and am happy with it...
    51A508AA-4B41-44C0-84DD-059AF5EDAC84-2226-0000067E623F67A7_zps99337f78.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    I need one of these, sans scope.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    EGW is good kit.
    NN wrote: »
    Ask jbohio to come down there and test fire it to see if the scope is mounted right.

Uh, no. I already know how that's going to turn out. Bloody.

That rifle needs something with 4-5" eye relief.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,754 Senior Member
    A scope on a double rifle is just wrong. It says so in the Scriptures.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Near St. LouisPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Get a shotgun/slug gun scope. Longer eye relief.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain