Home Main Category General Firearms

Teach/Mike/Calib Rem 7400 ??

Big Al1Big Al1 Senior MemberPanama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
Wife's friend brings over a 7400 in 30-06 that had been neglected ever since her divorce! The thing looked like it came out of King Tuts tomb! So I dis-assembled and cleaned! Found some pitting near the muzzle, but it cleaned up after socking in Kroil and chucking a cleaning brush in the cordless drill. The test fire was interesting! First shot the empty did not extract so I figure bad extractor, but the rim was ripped off the empty, so good extractor. Closer inspection revealed some pitting in the chamber, I polish the chamber. Next shot same thing, rim ripped off case. My opinion is the chamber is to pitted to save! Can't find a replacement barrel in any caliber. I say it's a parts gun. What say you??!!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Just like a woman to keep a man's guns after a divorce and neglect them!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Maybe you could set the barrel back a little and redo the chamber.I don't know where the gas tube comes off the barrel at, but for an inch worth it may not make any difference. Setting back and rechambering probably isn't the piece of cake it is with a bolt gun.

edited to Add; Hey, don't those things have a gas tube? maybe that's plugged up with gunk.
    Edited again:
    Never mind, that was stupid. If it's pulling through the rim, it's got plenty of gas pressure.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member ColoradoPosts: 1,701 Senior Member
    You've got youself a new tomato stake there. I wouldn't waste any more time on it.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I believe you nailed it with the pitted chamber diagnosis. Those things come in two varieties- - - -the ones that are already junk, and the ones that will be soon. It's definitely not worth a trip back to the factory for a rebarrel, and unless the rest of the gun is virtually unused, it's probably got problems developing with the bolt lockup like most of the well-used ones do. Head a couple of miles offshore in your boat and donate it to Davy Jones!
    Jerry
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Not if the rim got ripped off. Almost positive it's a pitted chamber.

Check my post again. I had my head in a warm, moist, dark place again. The older I get, the more I stay in that place.

:yikes:..........:bang:..........:silly:..........:tooth:

I just found out I may can renew my CHL cheap and I got all excited and the blood was diverted from my head for a while. Then when I came back I saw my post and it hit me like a brick wall,
    Like Dumbass!!!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Teach wrote: »
    I believe you nailed it with the pitted chamber diagnosis. Those things come in two varieties- - - -the ones that are already junk, and the ones that will be soon. It's definitely not worth a trip back to the factory for a rebarrel, and unless the rest of the gun is virtually unused, it's probably got problems developing with the bolt lockup like most of the well-used ones do. Head a couple of miles offshore in your boat and donate it to Davy Jones!
    Jerry

I just had a 7400 come into the shop about an hour ago. Won't extract. :bang:

At least it doesn't have the bolt lug notches of death.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    You seem to have diagnosed it right. Pitted chamber locking the case in the chamber. I fix a lot of 'orphan' firearms, but I wouldn't touch that model. They are known for gnawing off/chipping the locking lugs over time.
    What I'd do: Contact Numrich Gun Parts and sell it to them for parts. Barrels are few and far between, and the rifle isn't all that and a bag of Cheetos, either. At least selling it to Numrich would bring in some coin towards a decent firearm.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    calebib wrote: »
    I just had a 7400 come into the shop about an hour ago. Won't extract. :bang:

At least it doesn't have the bolt lug notches of death.

I feel your pain. I'd rather have another kidney stone than work on one of those things. Kidney stones eventually pass and you feel better. :silly: :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
    I've got a dead 740 (excess headspace) in the shop that the owner has failed to pick up for about 4 months now. I imagine that is a common scenario in gunsmith shops around the country.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    I think all the 742's I fixed payed for a couple hunting trips! The 7400 was supposed to correct the receiver gouging problem when they switched from nine to three locking lugs, and put a guide rail inside the receiver to keep the bolt from torquing to the right. These were designed for the hunter that used the same box of ammo every year, then unloads and puts it away until next season!!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I think all the 742's I fixed payed for a couple hunting trips! The 7400 was supposed to correct the receiver gouging problem when they switched from nine to three locking lugs, and put a guide rail inside the receiver to keep the bolt from torquing to the right. These were designed for the hunter that used the same box of ammo every year, then unloads and puts it away until next season!!

Their not all junk. My brother in law has a 742 that's well over 50 years old, maybe 60.
    He and his three boys have been shooting it every year and it's killed a pile of deer. But in all fairness, they don't shoot it anything like some of us shoot our bolt guns and such. They probably don't shoot two boxes of shells a year. But that thing is accurate for what it is> It will still shoot an inch and a half, two inch 5 shot group and it's not a jammer.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    calebib wrote: »
    You've got youself a new tomato stake there. I wouldn't waste any more time on it.

Make a lamp out of it!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    cpj wrote: »
    Eventually, it will fail. It's the nature of the 742. They eat themselves.

I realise that, but like Big Al said, some people don't shoot that much and they will probably last a life time with proper care. Some people just love the old Remington SAs.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    Maybe you could put one of those $10 .45ACP barrels on it...
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,697 Senior Member
    :rotflmao:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • shushshush Senior Member This Sceptical Isle.Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Maybe you could put one of those $10 .45ACP barrels on it...

We're doomed, we're all doomed.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Just like a woman to keep a man's guns after a divorce and neglect them!

That's how I met Jerry for the first time! Another friend of the wife wanted to sell off the guns she got from her ex. Jerry road tripped it down here, during a tropical storm, to pick an '03 Springfield with a butt ugly stock!!
    Big Al, there's ONE possible solution, and I hesitate to suggest it. Depends on how bad you want to get that rifle shooting. You can get a chamber insert to convert it from .30-06 to .308 Winchester. The magazine may be problematic, but the insert should/might/maybe get it back into shooting condition. Depends on how bad the pitting is at the rear of the chamber.
    ― Douglas Adams
    I had a First Sgt tell me at the range on on Fort Hood who was recently divorced the biggest mistake he ever made in that marriage was to give his Ex the combination to his gun safe.................said he would never do it again if there ever was an again.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,401 Senior Member
    One day I might open up and tell you guys what happened to my firearms in my divorce.........but the scars are still fresh, even though it was 20yrs ago...
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    One day I might open up and tell you guys what happened to my firearms in my divorce.........but the scars are still fresh, even though it was 20yrs ago...

Ain't y'all got Common Gun Laws down yonder for the ones the Crown lets you own?
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member SMIBville(Southern MD)Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    Oooooh Oooooh I'll take it!!! I have a plan for a bullpup to go with my EBR!!! Now I'll need more BAR mags!!!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    tennmike wrote: »
    Big Al, there's ONE possible solution, and I hesitate to suggest it. Depends on how bad you want to get that rifle shooting........

If we are going the book burning way; :p

What of the .30-284 Win, that should clean up the chamber.

Just re-thread the barrel and tweek the action. paperbag.gif
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member SMIBville(Southern MD)Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    How much for parts??? That would be a perfect candidate for that 45 caliber thing that uses 30-06 cases.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    shush wrote: »
    If we are going the book burning way; :p

What of the .30-284 Win, that should clean up the chamber.

Just re-thread the barrel and tweek the action. paperbag.gif

The barrel is not threaded! It slips in, similar to an 870 shotgun, and his held I place by a barrel nut, which is underneath the barrel and slips over a stud on the receiver. The lug recesses are milled into the breech end of the barrel, so any shortening of the breach end and the locking lugs on the bolt will not engage properly. What it boils down to, like most of todays products, when it breaks throw it away.
    So far lamp and tomato stake are the best alternatives!!
    What it boils down to, like most of todays products, when it breaks throw it away.

I was being somewhat light-hearted but......
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    Watch the news for the next 'Gun Buyback' program and turn it in for $200..........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,697 Senior Member
    Tactical boat paddle!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    I forgot club! That Uncle Mikes swivel stud could put a dent in your forehead!!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    Jack handle....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"