Four more sleeps to go.

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,702 Senior Member
Then its opening of our duck season.

Just getting the gunship ready..........
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    Happy hunting my friend :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    What happened to your wild bull hunt?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    Knock em dead
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    What happened to your wild bull hunt?
    It was a load of bull that was to prepare you guys for April fools 2015...........but I got sprung by the first person to post up.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,726 Senior Member
    I still want to see how a .270 will perform on a bull, but anyways, I hope your shoulder hurts because you shot so many waterfowl.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Should be a party, friend. There's no comparison to ducks in the decoys. Have a great time and be sure to get some good pics/footage!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Then its opening of our duck season.

Just getting the gunship ready..........

Hope you have signed up for this.

"Give ducks a fighting chance this season"

12:17 PM Friday Apr 3, 2015

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11427490

"Hunters are being urged to give ducks a fighting chance of surviving the annual season which starts in four weeks. As a prelude to limiting semi-automatic and pump-action shotgun fire to a maximum of three shots from 2017, shooters are being asked to do it voluntarily in this year's duckshooting season which opens in May and ends on June 28."

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,544 Senior Member
    At first glance I thought the title read "four more sheep to go".
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Them folks down there you never know
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Them folks down there you never know
    yep, NZ, where men are men and sheep are scared
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Should be a party, friend. There's no comparison to ducks in the decoys. Have a great time and be sure to get some good pics/footage!

I agree about the comparison. Unfortunately my gun cam is broken so you will have to make do with still pics at this stage.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »

|That's not baaaaaaad!
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    shush wrote: »
    Hope you have signed up for this.

"Give ducks a fighting chance this season"

12:17 PM Friday Apr 3, 2015

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11427490

"Hunters are being urged to give ducks a fighting chance of surviving the annual season which starts in four weeks. As a prelude to limiting semi-automatic and pump-action shotgun fire to a maximum of three shots from 2017, shooters are being asked to do it voluntarily in this year's duckshooting season which opens in May and ends on June 28."

My 1187's have been pinned for the last three years...............and I normally 'go for green' ie, shoot mainly drakes.

Heres a pic from a few years back....

openingday050308009.jpg
    yep, NZ, where men are men and sheep are scared

Ewwwwe.......( That's an expression of disgust..........not a shout of excitement btw)
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    I agree about the comparison. Unfortunately my gun cam is broken so you will have to make do with still pics at this stage.

That'll do!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Isn't it May 1st there already?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Man, we've been limited to three shots for migratory water fowl all my life. Every shotgun I've owned has come with a plug in the magazine. I guess it helps conservation, but when a flock comes into decoys, you've only got a few seconds of shooting and before you could empty a full unplugged magazine, most ducks will be out of range anyway. Normally about three good shots is all I ever would have time for anyway. Any longer than that and they are getting pretty far out of range and that just causes you to wound more birds.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Isn't it May 1st there already?

D

Yep. Just packing the last of the gear. Season starts at 6.30am tomorrow morning ( Sat over here)
    Due to the state of the tide tomorrow morning we wont be able to get to the 'honey spot'..............which means that GB and I will be heading out onto the harbour about 8pm tonight.............and spending the night in the duckboat.

Weather for the last 3 days has been windy but warm...........Woke up this morning to calm still conditions without a single cloud in the sky............and 3 degrees of FROST!!!!

Looks like its going to be a cold night................so now I gotta go find my thermals..............:bang:

The best part of staying in a 13' aluminium boat is breakfast. Piping hot coffee with fresh cooked bacon and cheese sandwiches.............It makes up for the cold miserable sleep. Am thinking of taking my flounder lights and spearing some fish instead of trying to sleep. Fresh panfried flounder for breakfast sounds good.

Will post up a report when I get back either sun night or Monday............
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    Magazine limits were enacted here to control market hunters...who would put extended magazines on pump guns and swat rafted ducks on the water. The market hunters found that they could get more bang for their buck with a pump gun than using a punt gun. And it was punt guns that resulted in the "nothing larger than 10 gauge" rule...
    Now, strangely, in Great Britain...punt guns are still legal....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Yep. Just packing the last of the gear. Season starts at 6.30am tomorrow morning ( Sat over here)
    Due to the state of the tide tomorrow morning we wont be able to get to the 'honey spot'..............which means that GB and I will be heading out onto the harbour about 8pm tonight.............and spending the night in the duckboat.

Weather for the last 3 days has been windy but warm...........Woke up this morning to calm still conditions without a single cloud in the sky............and 3 degrees of FROST!!!!

Looks like its going to be a cold night................so now I gotta go find my thermals..............:bang:

The best part of staying in a 13' aluminium boat is breakfast. Piping hot coffee with fresh cooked bacon and cheese sandwiches.............It makes up for the cold miserable sleep. Am thinking of taking my flounder lights and spearing some fish instead of trying to sleep. Fresh panfried flounder for breakfast sounds good.

You got flounder there too??? I'll be right down. Any place with Ducks and flounder is right up my ally. I grew up doing both. I still have a flounder boat. There's a strict limit nowadays, but I don't care if they tell me I can't have but one flounder, I'd rather gig it. How many times have I gone out and floundered all night and when it got daylight was in the duck blind? I don't do that much anymore, but I still gig a flounder now and then.
    Safe travels & happy hunting my friend :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Where you Alec?
    NN wrote: »
    Where you Alec?
    :that: :popcorn:

It was a load of bull that was to prepare you guys for April fools 2015...........but I got sprung by the first person to post up.

You Scoundrel! I remember the joke, but I didn't think it had anything to do with the bull hunt. So the Bull Hunt was just that, A LOAD OF BULL!!!
    :roll::roll:
    But knowing what a .270 is really capable of, I think you've really been using it and won't admit to it on here.

:silly:..........:roll:..........:rotflmao:..........:roll2:..........:rotflmao:

Alec, back when I was a kid, I had the privilege of going with a family who had a ranch on the barrier Island here, Matagorda. They ran cattle on it and had a ranch house about a half mile down the Island from the south gate of Matagorda Air Base. There's a couple of famous fishing holes around on various parts of that island and one was called appropriately, "The Fish Pond" and we would drive the jeep through the air base and up to the north end of the Island and to the Fish Pond and Mule's Slough and walk flounder. One night we must have gigged 75 flounder and cleaned about 6 nice ones and put them in pans of water and ice. The rest we put on ice in the ice chests and went to bed. The next morning early they fried that fish they had put in the pan and we ate that freshly gigged flounder for breakfast. You talk about wonderful. Then after breakfast, my friend and I flew with his dad in the Super Cub back to Seadrift with the ice chests and sold the flounder. I don't think it paid for the plane's gas but they needed to fly back and get some supplies anyway and they didn't have a need for that much fish. Anyway, that was a great experience for me as a kid.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Was a good start formost of us down in the South of New Zealand, clear skies unfortunately but nevertheless good bags had by most I know down in the central part of the South Island
    Always some sob stories but mostly form those who didn't prepare properly, the others just bad luck, as sometimes there is.
    My Wirehair is a 3.5yr old now and is pretty much past the silly pointer growing up stage and is settling in nicely
    Retrieved an even 10 with only one mistake, we will never know where that duck went, a diver and under a grass overhang I presume. Wasn't through lack of trying that we didn't get it in.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Nice