Home Main Category General Firearms

Remington 760

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberLiving in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,039 Senior Member
I know the 740/742/7400 are not well-thought of, but what of the 760? Does it have the same problems as its autoloading brethren?

I ask because we have, in storage, my Dad's old rifle: a 760 in .280 Remington. It hasn't been fired in years, and was thinking of running a few rounds through it, but would rather not if it means beating up my Dad's rifle. I'd rather just clean it and lube it occasionally than risk damaging it.

Note: this is an early model 760, NOT a 7600. I understand that the locking lugs are different on a 7600. Vintage on the rifle is 1957/58. When they caliber was first introduced.
I'm just here for snark.

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Sounds like a cool pump action. I'd shoot it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_760
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Bream, the pump actions do not get subjected to the violent action of their gas operated counterparts. The 760 and 7600 series should last a LOT longer due to not being beaten to death by the gas system. As long as you don't rack the slide like you're using a slide hammer, it won't hurt it a bit to shoot that rifle. Shoot a box through it once in a while, and enjoy it. :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,694 Senior Member
    About as reliable as an 870 shotgun! .280 very underrated! I don't see why that rifle and caliber were never very popular!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    About as reliable as an 870 shotgun! .280 very underrated! I don't see why that rifle and caliber were never very popular!

:agree: And it's a 7mm-06, a.k.a. the 7mm Remington Express, a.k.a. .280 Remington. That chambering suffered from its big brother, the 7mm Rem. Mag. taking the spotlight.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • timctimc Senior Member TexasPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I hunted with one of the 760 Gamemasters in 30.06 for quite a few years. Decent enough rifle, SHOOT IT!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member WyomingPosts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Bream, is yours a rifle or carbine? I had an early 760 carbine in .280. One of my nephews has it now. It always shot minute of whitetail at 100 yds. I shot a lot of deer with that old pump. Rifles had 22" barrels and carbines were 18" If I remember correctly. You're going to love it.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,314 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    I hunted with one of the 760 Gamemasters in 30.06 for quite a few years. Decent enough rifle, SHOOT IT!

My first hunting rifle was a 760 Gamemaster in 30-06. I inherited it after my uncle passed away, and used it for years to hunt everything from feral cats to deer. Love that gun, and will not sell it
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,039 Senior Member
    Bream, is yours a rifle or carbine? I had an early 760 carbine in .280. One of my nephews has it now. It always shot minute of whitetail at 100 yds. I shot a lot of deer with that old pump. Rifles had 22" barrels and carbines were 18" If I remember correctly. You're going to love it.
    Dad's is a carbine. 18 1/2" barrel.

This rifle is part of the reason I love the .280 Remington (though I've never killed game with it) and have a long-held love for carbines. Because... Dad.

Thanks for the info, gents. I'll feel better about getting this thing running. I figure I should avoid "light magnum" ammo in it due to, as Knitepoet pointed out, lack of camming action. And a note: this thing isn't "mine." I have a brother and we still haven't divvied up Dad's firearms although he's been dead for a piece. Mom's still alive, and we really haven't divided up much.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The 760 has the same type of rotating bolt nose and multiple locking lugs as the autoloader. To some extent, it has similar problems with deterioration of the receiver and locking lugs, but it takes far longer for the problems to develop. One of my neighbors had a .30-06 760 that developed bolt lockup problems, but it was a veteran of MANY rounds fired through it! Shoot yours in moderation with midrange loads, and it should last a long time.
    Jerry
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member South DakotaPosts: 2,040 Senior Member
    I love the 760's, and could see one in my vault.

You just have to accept the fact they're not MOA rifles, but it doesn't matter when you're shooting deer sized game at 200 or under. JMHO
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Do those Rem .22 pumps have issues too, I wonder. I remember they looked just about the same as the semi-autos. Called Fieldmaster and Speedmaster for the semi????

Was there an issue mounting a scope on them.............I can't remember. I could never see the purpose back in the days of plentiful and cheap .22 ammo to get a pump.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Do those Rem .22 pumps have issues too, I wonder. I remember they looked just about the same as the semi-autos. Called Fieldmaster and Speedmaster for the semi????

Was there an issue mounting a scope on them.............I can't remember. I could never see the purpose back in the days of plentiful and cheap .22 ammo to get a pump.

I have two Speedmaster .22 rifles, one was my Dad's and one was mine. I don't know of any real issues with the pump version. As to issues common to BOTH of them, they don't function well with dirty innards, especially with buildup around the breech and on/in the bolt. Kept clean, they will shoot mixed .22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle without a hiccup.

Scope mounting wasn't a problem. 3/8 .22 mounts with one inch rings and a scope and you're in bidnezz. :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams