Police Misconduct

2»

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    Oh, it can be done. Not disputing that a bit. It just isn't as simple as buying cameras, putting them on and moving on. It's something that will have to be phased in. As technology changes, so does the logistics of doing the job and keeping up with technology. 10 years ago, body cams weren't a reasonable option for LE. Now they are. That's not only true for LE, but for most lines of work.

It's not really reasonable to say that most officers object to using body cameras. Some, absolutely. But as Bigslug kinda pointed out, things are not always as black and white as people think they are. Things aren't always as pretty as people want them to be. That's not going to change. A disorderly drunk who spits in my face and is fighting me is going to be reminded what dirt or concrete tastes like. I will win. And some bad words might come out of my mouth at the moment. The video of such an encounter will be used by some to make me look like a bad person by people who Monday morning quarterback and don't know anything about the job. It's just part of the job. I'm fine with cameras and actually preferr them. Just realize that nothing is black and white. It will take some time, but I believe body cams will be very normal in the not so distant future.
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 380 Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    First off, I don't think there is any real push for a national police force, and the states wouldn't put up with that mess, except for the NE Coast and the Left Coast.

Pay attention to Obama. He is using the same phrasing that he used in his two year lead up to executive amnesty. "I don't have the authority to grant amnesty". Two years later "Congress will not act and I have a pen and a cell phone"

"I do not have the authority to nationalize the police".

Same type of language. Same type of trial balloon.
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 380 Member
    horselips wrote: »
    The only new police force we need is one built around the Congress' Sergeant At Arms - one with the authority to arrest witnesses, obstructing cabinet members and others who deliberately delay or derail the search for truth, justice, and the American way. Sometimes, the Justice Department is too corrupt to do its job, and Congress needs a mechanism to enforce its subpoenas and compel cooperation. Those taken into custody by the Sergeant At Arms would, at the Speaker's discretion, face trial before a Congressional committee, and if convicted, be remanded to a federal prison. The current process of holding someone in 'contempt of Congress' just duzzint cut it - they need more and sharper teeth.

I'm against it, even if the speaker wasn't sackless and corrupt.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Right on to responses so far. States have their own set of laws for a reason and what is good for one wouldn't necessarily be good for the bordering state or one a 1000 miles away.

As much as a minefield to navigate it seems at times now, it is much better like it is.

That used to be the case with marriage....
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    As Bigslug said, the review of the recordings from the body cams needs to be well thought out. I don't want recordings of me inside your burning house being available for all to see, and I can understand why some officers would be leery of wearing them. Especially in departments that are more interested in blaming the officer for any and all complaints. Don't get me wrong, I am all for weeding out the bad ones, same as I want to get rid of the yard birds masquerading as firefighters, I just don't think it is easy to tell who is who from outside.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Bodycams on officers would protect the officers as well. Ferguson would have been a non event if the officer had a bodycam showing that Brown was charging him and trying to get his gun. Bodycams would protect the officers from false accusations and save the departments and taxpayers enough money in legal activity to cover the cost of the cameras.

I've got my doubts as to how useful they're actually going to be - at least with the current technology.

I saw a video that involved the camera-equipped officer engaging a suspect with his patrol rifle. Camera is center chest, pointed straight ahead, officer is bladed somewhat sideways to aim his AR. Camera showed the inside of the car he was standing against for cover and support - vibrating quite a bit under recoil. Might have been some brass flying across the view, but it was pretty much worthless as far as what was going on with the suspect. As far a clear and steady went, it looked a lot the like the same cinematography used for the Omaha Beach opening of S.P.R.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I've got my doubts as to how useful they're actually going to be - at least with the current technology.

I saw a video that involved the camera-equipped officer engaging a suspect with his patrol rifle. Camera is center chest, pointed straight ahead, officer is bladed somewhat sideways to aim his AR. Camera showed the inside of the car he was standing against for cover and support - vibrating quite a bit under recoil. Might have been some brass flying across the view, but it was pretty much worthless as far as what was going on with the suspect. As far a clear and steady went, it looked a lot the like the same cinematography used for the Omaha Beach opening of S.P.R.

:that:

Everyone wants the "magic bullet" technology that will solve all problems forever. Just doesn't exist. I think the cameras will be a valuable tool when used properly. Dynamic events will always be dynamic events. People ask me all the time what a "typical" fire is. Don't know, I never had one, they are all different. Expecting the camera's to remove all controversy in the future is unreal.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »

Some, absolutely. But as Bigslug kinda pointed out, things are not always as black and white as people think they are. Things aren't always as pretty as people want them to be. That's not going to change. A disorderly drunk who spits in my face and is fighting me is going to be reminded what dirt or concrete tastes like. I will win. And some bad words might come out of my mouth at the moment. The video of such an encounter will be used by some to make me look like a bad person by people who Monday morning quarterback and don't know anything about the job.

So he gets beat up.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,458 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    So he gets beat up.

I'm back and forth on this one. In the case that Jay gave, I think I'd be inclined to forgive a quick tune-up...in another situation, not so much. Sometimes zero tolerance doesn't work.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member

Ignorant piece of crap K-9 cop let dog keep biting him after he was down and being handcuffed. What a filthy dimwit tool.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    That video is beyond the pale. The department defends the actions of the officers involved, and cops wonder why they have a bad reputation. More circling the wagons around bad cops, two different sets of rules. Us and them.

I was seriously getting very angry watching that.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    So he gets beat up.

Never said anything about beating anyone up.