One Smelt fish found in Delta/CA lets billions gal water go into ocean

1235»

Replies

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    Here's a drip irrigation calculator:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDAQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fextension.udel.edu%2Fag%2Ffiles%2F2012%2F09%2FDripIrrigationCostCalculator.xls&ei=dxFSVazBIImoNr-SgegI&usg=AFQjCNFOLF0_7qa0Ad4T_HBBWfFJSEWhOA&sig2=J7CYcR5iXPFUauL-Y5jVbA&bvm=bv.92885102,d.eXY

For a 20 acre vegetable farm the cost is $200/acre per year including initial capital cost and parts replacement. Definitely not nothing, but when cities nearby are paying $2000/acre foot for desalinated water and you can save at least 25% of your water by installing one, there pretty quickly becomes a point when you can more than cover your expenses. There are also a lot of other benefits of installing them in terms of operational benefits as well, but until farmers can easily sell their water they probably won't put up the money in most cases.

As to your other point, agree corporate farmers care only about profit and they make up an increasing share of land under cultivation. In order to get them to do something that's in the best interest of everyone, they need market forces that make it profitable for them to do the right thing or regulations to force them to. Believe it or not, I prefer the former.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,694 Senior Member
    The figures you post are based on a little hobby farm. You can't really take those costs and just extrapolate them to apply to several thousand acre tracts.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    The figures you post are based on a little hobby farm. You can't really take those costs and just extrapolate them to apply to several thousand acre tracts.

He totally ignored the part where I said that many of those privately owned farms are sections, as in 1 square mile fields. Alpha's crazy idea looks good up to the point the cost of the system is calculated.

Brass tacks time. Drip irrigation hose runs around $50/500 feet in half inch size. That would work out to $500+ per 2 rows of crops in a one mile long field. Then the cost of fittings and supply line 1 mile long to feed the drip hoses would need to be added to this cost. Only crop that could be economically watered by drip irrigation in one mile long rows would be marijuana or opium poppies! :rotflmao:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Next the stores will start selling produce with some kinda Water-Smart sticker to prove it was grown in a water conservation environment and you will pay more like they charge fer "Organic" crap.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Next the stores will start selling produce with some kinda Water-Smart sticker to prove it was grown in a water conservation environment and you will pay more like they charge fer "Organic" crap.

Best way to spend $1,000,000 and be poor as a church mouse is to buy and run a dairy farm.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    You want to know how to make a small fortune farming? Start with a large one.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    You want to know how to make a small fortune farming? Start with a large one.

In all seriousness, the only way to make any money raising a crop on a small farm is to grow specialty stuff and heirloom vegetables and sell at a farmer's market. We all know a feller in the FL Panhandle that does that. :tooth:

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    In all seriousness, the only way to make any money raising a crop on a small farm is to grow specialty stuff and heirloom vegetables and sell at a farmer's market. We all know a feller in the FL Panhandle that does that. :tooth:

That or selling hay to the horse people who shop at farmers markets.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,220 Senior Member
    Yep.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    One ole boy told me he was saving to buy some land in Arkansas and start a Glaucoma Farm, it took me a minute to catch on to what he was saying..................:tooth::roll2::roll2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    One ole boy told me he was saving to buy some land in Arkansas and start a Glaucoma Farm, it took me a minute to catch on to what he was saying..................:tooth::roll2::roll2:

I'm dense tonight. Expound on Glaucoma Farm. :uhm:

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    I'm dense tonight. Expound on Glaucoma Farm. :uhm:
    One of the uses for "medical marijuana" is treating glaucoma I do believe
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    One of the uses for "medical marijuana" is treating glaucoma I do believe

O.K. I knew that use of MJ, and its use in treating the bad symptoms of chemo. Like I said, I'm kinda dense tonight. My brain is tired; the voices in my head have been going non stop the whole frackin' day, my imaginary friend got loose, and my mind wandered off and got lost for a pretty good while. It's been a busy day.