Shotgun or AR15 to Defend Home

Daryl CodaDaryl Coda New MemberPosts: 8 New Member
I know this debate goes on and on, but I wanted to put my two cents in and get your views. There are reasonable arguments on both sides of the debate, but I've recently decided that in general, I'm a little old fashioned with my choice:

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard!

This should be a good debate for either choice.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I guess my house is an all of the above. My Wife and Son have slug filled 12gauges and I will be wielding either a 7.62 bullpup or a 40 S&W. My oldest daughter has a 40 Beretta for until I can cover her joining the rest of us.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    Depends on the environment in which you live....out here in the sticks, there's a good reason to have both at hand....which we do...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    I can see the value in both. They each have their pro's and con's. It all comes down to what is good for your situation and not the ego.....that's a tough one. When I was a kid growing up on the ranch we had a Remington 31 by the front door and a Ruger 270 (let the jokes begin) right next to it, loaded of course. Nothing that those two couldn't handle.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Shotgun or AR15 to Defend Home

Yes! Debate over.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Depends on the environment in which you live.......
    :that:

Welcome aboard
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    cpj wrote: »
    Did you guys have a mouse problem?
    No, but the stupid grasshoppers were horrible that year!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    I have both an AK47 Underfolder and a Remington 1100 Tactical available instantly - outside the safe and loaded. For what it's worth, I also have half a dozen handguns sprinkled here and there about the house.

Self / home defense should never come down to an arbitrary choice regarding weapons. They're all good, and all are appropriate.
    One of the BEST home defense tools is a good relationship with your neighbors.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    12 guage Mossberg folding stock. Use #6 shot 3 inch shells in magazine(apartment dweller) #4 buck and 2 slugs in ammo carrier on receiver. If you put a round in the chamber and the noise doesn't discourage offender primer ignition is next. Ammo is too expensive for warning shots. Everything else is in condition one. :guns: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    Nine .33 caliber pellets = 2.97 inches worth of hole. 60 grains x 9 = 540 grain payload or a .73 caliber, 437 grain slug. . .

versus one 55 grain .22.

I like the mousegun - the mousegun has its place, but for the dedicated 15 yard and less application, the shotgun is king.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Inside and against 2 legged vermin, first one I get to but either do a fine job. Now outside for the 4 legged vermin and the very slim chance of 2 legged I'll go AR all the way for ability to pin point rounds on target and the number of rounds on the mag.

I am in the process of getting the needed parts and permission stamps for a SBR which will have a suppressor setup for HD use. I am doing so after a course where I spent time in a live fire house with an AR wearing plugs only and you'd be surprised how bad the report of an AR bouncing of the walls actually is much less if it's a SBR. Another guy there had his suppressed SBR and that thing was setup for such a job. He let some of us run it and with no ear protection it was excellent. You heard the BCG cycle and the "TWANG" every round fired. Also a suppressor makes a damn good flash suppressor.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    Easy choice........AR15 before they reach the walls of the house then the 12 gauge once they are close range!
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    I have both an AK47 Underfolder and a Remington 1100 Tactical available instantly - outside the safe and loaded. For what it's worth, I also have half a dozen handguns sprinkled here and there about the house.

Self / home defense should never come down to an arbitrary choice regarding weapons. They're all good, and all are appropriate.

This:that:

First thought that came to my mind when reading the OP.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,419 Senior Member
    Include a full grown rifle in the arsenal and start the party when the scumbag is half a mile away. Chances are you won't need the scattergun or the poodle shooter.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,694 Senior Member
    Daryl Coda wrote: »
    I know this debate goes on and on, but I wanted to put my two cents in and get your views.

A lesser person would have thought that you we just trying to plug your video.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    One of the BEST home defense tools is a good relationship with your neighbors.

Exactly - interlocking fields of fire. :up:
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Inside and against 2 legged vermin, first one I get to but either do a fine job. Now outside for the 4 legged vermin and the very slim chance of 2 legged I'll go AR all the way for ability to pin point rounds on target and the number of rounds on the mag.

I am in the process of getting the needed parts and permission stamps for a SBR which will have a suppressor setup for HD use. I am doing so after a course where I spent time in a live fire house with an AR wearing plugs only and you'd be surprised how bad the report of an AR bouncing of the walls actually is much less if it's a SBR. Another guy there had his suppressed SBR and that thing was setup for such a job. He let some of us run it and with no ear protection it was excellent. You heard the BCG cycle and the "TWANG" every round fired. Also a suppressor makes a damn good flash suppressor.

You got that right. A suppressor makes life so much better in such situations. No deafening bangs or blinding flashes to distract you from what you are doing. I really need a trust so I can start filling out form 1's.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Good video, actually.

I think handguns are the first you should grab, just because they're more accessible. But this depends on the lifestyle environment as was correctly said. If you've got a small home, handguns will likely do you just fine. If however you've got an "estate" whether farm or ranch or large private home, then a longer range weapon is likely a good item to use, probably an AR slightly favored over a shotgun.

As the fall-back defense, a long gun (AR or shotgun) will likely be better. In the vast majority of home self defense instances, however, it will be over and done with, win or lose, in less than a couple minutes, usually. Either the invaders shoot you or you shoot them/chase them away. For a sustained firefight (which is extremely rare for civilian home defensive situations) then I'd pick an AR, just because of its sustained fire capacity).

But also as was said, it matters little so long as you are the shooter and not the shootee. Horselips said it right.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,419 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    A suppressor makes life so much better in such situations. I really need to be trustworthy- - - - - -etc.

FIFY!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »

I like the mousegun - the mousegun has its place, but for the dedicated 15 yard and less application, the shotgun is king.
    Over my 30+ year career in EMS, I have had to treat folks shot with a WIDE variety of rounds. For "inside the house" distances, a 12ga has no peer IMO.

HOWEVER, if there's the possibility of the range being extended past 25-30 yards, an AR becomes a much more attractive option to me.

With all that being said, in MY situation, I keep an AR handy. Not quite as good "up close" as a shotgun, but more versatile for HD/vermin control.

Either will do a fine job, you just have to decide which trade offs work best for YOUR particular situation.

edited to add: Though if I REALLY want some "thump" for my AR, never had a game animal move more than 1 step after catching a round from my 50 Beowulf (Think 12ga Sabot slug)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    I have so many home defense weapons available, I'm afraid I'll have to ask the intruder for a time-out so I can decide which one to use. :)
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    topgun wrote: »
    I have so many home defense weapons available, I'm afraid I'll have to ask the intruder for a time-out so I can decide which one to use. :)

"1,000 ways to die; choose one.":jester:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Daryl CodaDaryl Coda New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Welcome aboard!

This should be a good debate for either choice.

Thank you. Good to be here.
  • Daryl CodaDaryl Coda New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    NN wrote: »
    :that:

Welcome aboard

Thank you very much.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,837 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    12 guage Mossberg folding stock. Use #6 shot 3 inch shells in magazine(apartment dweller) #4 buck and 2 slugs in ammo carrier on receiver. If you put a round in the chamber and the noise doesn't discourage offender primer ignition is next. Ammo is too expensive for warning shots. Everything else is in condition one. :guns: Later,

Yeah, racking the slide should liquefy their bowels for sure.... :rolleyes
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Daryl Coda wrote: »
    Thank you. Good to be here.

Your little video was nicely informative, especially for those for whom guns are a new thing.

As you can see, many members here have varied opinions, which is good -- honest debate help understanding.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx