Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

A year ago

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,575 Senior Member
lots of you were commenting on the "militarization" of police. So today should be a proud day for you, since Obama restricted the transfer of surplus military equipment to police forces. In light of the militarization of thugs, riots, lootings, burnings, and shoot-outs with MC thugs, I wonder if some of this "militarization" is justified.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    They would be useful for riots, but that's about all.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    The police don't use the equipment anyway. Was rioting and looting in Ferguson and Baltimore suppressed with armored cars? Was property protected with M4 carbines? NO. So why bother. It seems the only time this military surplus stuff is used is when the police are staging a middle of the night no-knock raid on the wrong house.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    The riots COULD have been suppressed with Armored cars. It just wasn't. It wasn't the presence of milsurp equipment or the lack of it that made any difference in the outcome. The failure was a failure of will, esp in Baltimore.

When you have a riot the size of the one in Waco, with people shooting, an armored car probably would have been welcome. Bikers were shooting at each other and at cops.

The problem with no-knock raids on the wrong house is a failure of leadership, not an excess of milsurp equipment.
  • Gator MonroeGator Monroe Banned Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Targeted Terrorist attacks are coming ( Local Law Enforcement will have to go toe to toe with better trained & better armed Islamist than say what they faced in the Famous North Hollywood Bank Robbery back in the 90s this summer
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Gene is right; those flash bang grenades are highly effective against babies in cribs during a no knock raid.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Cutting & Running ( LAPD Initial Florence & Normandy Tactical Retreat from LA Riots of 92 ) will become the norm, we will be on our own folks .
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Cutting & Running ( LAPD Initial Florence & Normandy Tactical Retreat from LA Riots of 92 ) will become the norm, we will be on our own folks .

Just figure this out?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    tennmike wrote: »
    Gene is right; those flash bang grenades are highly effective against babies in cribs during a no knock raid.

Your fault is using one example to reflect a general state of existence. Flashbangs aren't mil surp. Cops being killed with a hatchet, cops being executed in NY are only isolated examples, not I hope examples of general practices, although I fear these extreme examples are becoming more accepted, even here. Can't tar all cops with the same brush.

Some people simply want to use the example of one instance to build the straw man of police excess. Lots of people hate cops, which is most evident in the ghettos. Please don't throw in with that crowd.
    Gene L wrote: »
    Your fault is using one example to reflect a general state of existence. Flashbangs aren't mil surp. Cops being killed with a hatchet, cops being executed in NY are only isolated examples, not I hope examples of general practices, although I fear these extreme examples are becoming more accepted, even here. Can't tar all cops with the same brush.

Some people simply want to use the example of one instance to build the straw man of police excess. Lots of people hate cops, which is most evident in the ghettos. Please don't throw in with that crowd.

It might help you to read what is no longer going to be available. And the military uses flash bang grenades, too.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/18/obama-announces-restrictions-on-distribution-military-style-equipment-to-police/

In previewing the president's trip, the White House said that effective immediately, the federal government will no longer fund or provide armored vehicles that run on a tracked system instead of wheels, weaponized aircraft or vehicles, firearms or ammunition of .50-caliber or higher, grenade launchers, bayonets or camouflage uniforms. The federal government also is exploring ways to recall prohibited equipment already distributed.

Tracked vehicles are the devil on paved streets, cops don't need weaponized aircraft or vehicles, and they certainly don't need .50 cal or higher firearms. A ricochet from a .50 BMG round is dangerous for several miles, and are not smart to use in an urban setting.

I don't hate cops. Just got no use for the ones that get all the free toys and then want to play 'war' with the no knocks and other stuff when it isn't necessary, and hurt people for no reason in the process. If they want to 'play war' the U.S. Army and the Marines are looking for high quality material.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Tracked vehicles have rubber pads on the treads, so they don't ruin streets. While the military may use flashbangs, they didn't provide them to the Habersham S.O. I don't have any stories of cops who want to play 'war' with these toys. If you do, let's hear them.

In 2014, murder of police officers was up 79% over the previous year. So maybe war has already been declared.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    lots of you were commenting on the "militarization" of police. So today should be a proud day for you, since Obama restricted the transfer of surplus military equipment to police forces. In light of the militarization of thugs, riots, lootings, burnings, and shoot-outs with MC thugs, I wonder if some of this "militarization" is justified.
    Good. I am proud. Am I supposed to contrite? I guess it's harder to steel from the public without full auto m16s and MRAPs. Is that what's got you in a twist Gene?
    Tracked vehicles have rubber pads on the treads, so they don't ruin streets.

Tracked vehicles with pads do tear the hell out of pavement because the pads wear down pretty quick. And cops need tracked vehicles as bad as a bull needs an udder.

While the military may use flashbangs, they didn't provide them to the Habersham S.O. I don't have any stories of cops who want to play 'war' with these toys. If you do, let's hear them.

I'm not your internet search monkey. You want stories, then look them up yourself. I don't remember taking you to raise, bless your heart!

In 2014, murder of police officers was up 79% over the previous year. So maybe war has already been declared.

Maybe if some cops didn't treat the public like 'felons in waiting' and 'enemy combatants' every chance they get, then there wouldn't be so many cops getting killed. As long as the good cops allow the anus chapeaus to work among them then there will be problems. The public at large will only take so much before they push back. It ain't right either way, but that's how things tend to go.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member

What is the stat on cops shooting or killing unarmed citizens?
    Buford wrote: »
    Just figure this out?

They have and in MOST cases they will let the Civil Unrest participants carry on ...
    You tell me. It's certainly not up 79%. Does Michael Brown count?
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,370 Senior Member
    They have and in MOST cases they will let the Civil Unrest participants carry on ...
    Speaking of civil unrest, do you like gladiator movies?
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Speaking of civil unrest, do you like gladiator movies?

The 13th Warrior is my cup of tea not Romans gettin their share of young boys...
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,370 Senior Member
    The 13th Warrior is my cup of tea not Romans gettin their share of young boys...
    So, you've seen a grown man naked?
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Welcome, Gator. Ever been in a Turkish prison?