LGS has a sign advertising "Concealed Weapons Experts."

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,052 Senior Member
...or "Concealed Carry Experts," not that it really matters.

Same place where a counterperson was advising someone to get a Walther PPK/S because it was "as big of a pistol as you can conceal."
Where another fellow got mad because I said that I had no interest in a Ruger LCP as a PRIMARY CARRY pistol because I didn't like .380 for self defense and that I viewed those handguns in that size class as get off me guns or backup guns. He then wondered why I didn't think I could make a headshot with one at 25 yds.
Where they advised a woman to buy a J-frame sized Taurus because "smaller guns fit a woman's hands better." They told her if the grips were too small they could get her some larger grips. Ones about the size of a K-frame Smith.
Where they tried to sell someone a Judge because it had "the power of a shotgun in a revolver."

Experts my hairy keister.
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    8F4035E6-AEEF-4E35-9EB2-D8E219FD6383_zpshlg6lxlf.jpg
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    ...or "Concealed Carry Experts," not that it really matters.

Same place where a counterperson was advising someone to get a Walther PPK/S because it was "as big of a pistol as you can conceal."
    Where another fellow got mad because I said that I had no interest in a Ruger LCP as a PRIMARY CARRY pistol because I didn't like .380 for self defense and that I viewed those handguns in that size class as get off me guns or backup guns. He then wondered why I didn't think I could make a headshot with one at 25 yds.
    Where they advised a woman to buy a J-frame sized Taurus because "smaller guns fit a woman's hands better." They told her if the grips were too small they could get her some larger grips. Ones about the size of a K-frame Smith.
    Where they tried to sell someone a Judge because it had "the power of a shotgun in a revolver."

Experts my hairy keister.

Those statements are ones that would make a shiver go down my spine. I suppose they also give the racking the slide makes bad guys crap and get speech or other off beat ideas. People like that get away with it dealing with newbies but when called by someone who has a little common sense get all huffy and say if you don't like their advice there is the door ... and funny thing is you didn't even ask their advice in the first place!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Weird gun store for certain. Haven't run into that sort here, thankfully. Most are pretty okay, clerks are well informed, and so on.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Those statements are ones that would make a shiver go down my spine. I suppose they also give the racking the slide makes bad guys crap and get speech or other off beat ideas. People like that get away with it dealing with newbies but when called by someone who has a little common sense get all huffy and say if you don't like their advice there is the door ... and funny thing is you didn't even ask their advice in the first place!
    This is the same place where a counter guy was telling someone that "This is the .45 Colt. It's what cowboys carried because they could carry a pistol and rifle in the same caliber. This one has a wadcutter bullet, which they liked because it had more knockdown power than roundnose bullets."

The bullet was a semiwadcutter, and the only thing he got right was not calling it a Long Colt.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    thestupiditburns.jpg
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    I've gotten firearms from the shop, but only if it was a good deal and only after I inspected it, extensively.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    There are three gunstores here. They are all staffed by complete idiots as far as I have been able to determine. It is sad to me that gunstore owners, and staff can know so little about the product they sell. It is more sad to think that some people get their first experience in firearms from these type of people. I don't even go in and browse anymore.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    I haven't been to very many gun stores where I did not hear such arrogant stupidity being laid on thick by the counter guys. The few times I have heard intelligent comments being made were usually by hired hands who didn't last till my next visit. I have learned to keep conversation to a minimum and not interfere unless asked for help, directly, by the poor unsuspecting customer.

I usually just find the gun I want to look at, check it out briefly, and make an offer. I have bought guns from several of these guys because they have accepted my offers, or because I wanted it (right now) enough to pay the asking price. But I don't try to have conversations with them because I can't ignore their BS, when directed at me. I have intervened a couple of times, in the past, when they were telling blatant lies to a nice person who was depending on their help, but it didn't go well, and the customers ended up walking away more confused than ever. It's best just to approach a prospective purchase like buying a used car - judge the merchandise and ignore the sales pitch.

I have had good luck buying new guns from dealers who will order anything you want for cost plus 20% and don't try to steer the customer. I've also had good luck at a FFL 'table(s)' at the local gun show, who has competitive pricing and will usually accept an offer for the asking price as an out-the-door price, which is worth about 30-50 dollars on some purchases. They won't do it on 'hot' items, but I usually wait till the buying frenzies are over, anyway.
    One of my favorite LGS screw ups was a man comes in with a regular .22LR Henry (not the Golden Boy) and wants a scope (he asked for it not first). The young guy behind the counter pulls out a big NCStar 3-9x40 or such scope and see thru rings. I literally cringe thinking of what that is going to look like and how high those rings are going to place that scope. The guy get the rings mounted (not using any rest or such) and then goes to set the scope in the rings ... BACKWARDS. I had to quietly say something and he thanked me and flipped it around. He finished what he called mounting it without any real check of the reticle alignment or such. He handed the customer the little Henry with what might as well have been the Hubble mounted so high he could almost have a CHIN rest instead of a cheek rest.

To the opposite side is a little LGS in the back of a hardware store on the way to the beach. They have a big black cat, "Ghost", that lays where he wants, walks down the counter to see what you are doing and keep you company with the man, Mr. John, behind the counter takes 2 minutes to walk from the other end because of his age. They had an older Marlin with honest wear at a great price. I asked him if he had a bore light ... the rifle was a good 40 plus years old and I did want to see if the barrel was nice. He laughed and apologized he did but if I thought the sunlight in the chamber would be enough I go outside and try. I laughed and tried it which actually did give decent light and I wound up buying it. All that was missing was a pot belly stove and a pickle barrel from making that little shop a early general store type setup. We still stop in and it's same old thing ... I would say where it is but some new guy who moved to NC not to long ago would be stopping every time he was heading up I-40 through Rocky Point.

RockyPointGun_zpsgfvlhjvj.jpg
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    "Be careful about calling yourself an "Expert"...an EX his a has-been and a SPURT is a drip under pressure...."
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    "Be careful about calling yourself an "Expert"...an EX his a has-been and a SPURT is a drip under pressure...."

Barely missed being a mattress stain.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    I've been really fortunate to find a great LGS that is consistently staffed with knowledgeable, friendly guys who know my name. I don't take that for granted and try to buy as much from them as I can.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I've been really fortunate to find a great LGS that is consistently staffed with knowledgeable, friendly guys who know my name. I don't take that for granted and try to buy as much from them as I can.

Agreed. I have others in my area that I could go to, but my regular shop is that for just these reasons.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,801 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR, that's the kind of gun shop that I like to visit. The older man and his black cat that runs the place make it look like a good friendly place to visit, and buy stuff.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

tennmike wrote: »
    NCFUBAR, that's the kind of gun shop that I like to visit. The older man and his black cat that runs the place make it look like a good friendly place to visit, and buy stuff.

Well it maybe tooooo late ... looks like somebody figured out where it is by his post above and will snag all the "rescue deals" as soon as he slips his leash again :tooth:. He'll just need to learn to sneak Ghost a cat treat or two and he'll put in a good purr with the owner for a better deal.
    - George Orwell
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    Self-anointed "experts" are usually the worst variety.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    LGS I took my class at had an expert
    good one too.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    topgun wrote: »
    Self-anointed "experts" are usually the worst variety.

Mark Twain said an expert is just a loudmouth 100 miles from home.

NRA Endowment Member
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    It is all a moot point any way nowadays, you have a plethora of gun choices for anyone and the Internet to pick & chose, so you can option to only go into the gun store for pick up and forms.....
    Besides, why turn down a free comedy show ?
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996