Home Main Category General Firearms

.300 Whisper/Blackout

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 10,915 Senior Member
Is there any difference between the two, besides fps?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    There is no real difference in velocity either. I have seen reloading data for both of them that will yield supersonic and subsonic loads. 300blk has a more popular following due to contemporary advertising, but 300 whisper can be used in blackout chambers.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Is there any difference between the two, besides fps?
    Whisper is JD Jones' proprietary trademarked name with limited released loading data while .300 Blackout is a name AAC standardized through SAAMI with much reloading data.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    Yes, TECHNICALLY, the BO has been SAMMI spec'd while the whisper is, as far as I know, still technically a "wildcat"
    The two are similar enough that Hornady lists their .308-221 ammo as "300 Blackout (Whisper®)"

To put it bluntly, they're the same cartridge, but SSK still has the trademark on the Whisper® name so unless you want to pay royalties to Mr. Jones, you call it a BO.

edited to add: and the warmonkey beat me by a minute
    CURSES, foiled again :cuss:

edited again to add:
    Originally developed and pioneered by J.D. Jones of SSK Industries, the 300 Whisper is a highly efficient cartridge based on the 221 Remington case necked up to .308. Renowned as a subsonic cartridge for use with suppressed guns, the 300 Whisper from Hornady is available in both supersonic and subsonic loads. Compatible with guns chambered for the 300 AAC Blackout, the 300 Whisper from Hornady is a reliable performer with or without a suppressor and brings a new level of flexibility to the AR-15 platform.
    from http://www.hornady.com/new-products/300-whisper
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.