Home Main Category General Firearms

I haven't heard these mentioned previously.....

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,094 Senior Member
Glow in the dark "Ballitic Tips®" loaded for Noveske by Nosler. Available in 60gr 223/5.56, 220gr 300BO and 168gr 7.62x51 (308 Win)

Your thoughts?

Mine is, they're a cool "conversation starter" (wouldn't mind having a couple to show) but I'd just as soon have the "normal" bullets for using.

Edited to add the link some "idgit" forgot :silly:
http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-ammunition-ammo/rifle-ammo/noveske-ammunition.html
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    Supposedly, so you can look at the mag and see which way it's pointing (DUH, feel it???) and so you can tell a Sub Sonic load from a Super in the dark :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    I thought that proper tactical technique entailed reloading while keeping your eyes on the target. Not unless you hold the mags up real high... that don't play.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,989 Senior Member
    Gimmick. Just like Z-Max bullets.

But hey, if they are willing to sell them. Someone will likely be willing to buy.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    I wonder how bright the glowing is. Would the work like weak tracers?
    Considering it's the front of the bullet that would be glowing, I doubt it
    Zee wrote: »
    Gimmick. Just like Z-Max bullets.

But hey, if they are willing to sell them. Someone will likely be willing to buy.
    Hey, I have a box of 500 of the Z-Max bullets. I also used a Z-max ammo box as a "prop" in my public speaking course a few semesters back. (Professor and my classmates got a GREAT laugh about it)

I give Hornady props for finding a way to increase sales to the "zombie hunting" crowd. However, pretty much everyone knows they're a "tongue in cheek" item. These, on the other hand, appear to be "serious" :silly: :uhm:

As I said in the OP, I'd like a couple of rounds of them just to have to show folks (Kinda like the boxes of Z-max ammo I have in a few different calibers)

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    I just read an article on the one that is for the 220 gr blackout
    not much hype about the glow in the dark issue.

The good point in the article was that the bullet construction and those glow things allow the bullet to expand to .55 inches.

As I understand the issue most big blackout bullets are a big chunk of lead and do not expand with subsonic velocity.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    O.K. I looked at the bullets in the link, and they don't show construction of those 220 grain bullets. But................it looks like a round poly ball inserted in the nose, and I'll assume for sake of argument that there is a HUGE hollow cavity behind it. If my assumption is correct, this is an old technology trick brought back due to the new need for subsonics in silenced rifles.

Works like this; the poly ball is inserted in the nose and jacket holds it in place when the bullet nose is formed in the nose forming punch die. The bullet jacket in front is really thin compared to bullet shank. When the bullet hits it's intended target, the poly ball is forced into the hollow cavity behind it causing the thin bullet jacket in front to split and cause significant expansion.

If the above assumption is correct as to what they did, it makes a lot of sense.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    "radically tapered jacket, a soft-lead core, and a deep cavity that is capped off with a round polymer tip held in place by a root that
    extends .2 inch into the bullet core"

So Mike is basically correct
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    So Mike is basically correct

Well, he is a pretty shmart feller.:tooth:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Well, he is a pretty shmart feller.:tooth:
    Yeah, and re-loads funny colored ammo, too.