Home Main Category General Firearms

Palmetto is killing me

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,248 Senior Member
    Bought two. No idea what for...
    Ordered today, shipped today. So much for their slow service.

Maybe I need a 6 x 45 AR.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,647 Senior Member
    I think that complete .308 lower and stock assembly for 189$ is going in the cart.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    Bought two. No idea what for...

Same here. I've had fleeting thoughts about what to do with them, but no firm ideas.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    You'll need a bumpfire stock as well. Really make it fun!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdqcNeh6Dpk
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Palmetto's nice, but don't overlook the deals that may already be at your local gun shop. Walked into mine today, and twelve minutes and sixty-three dollars later walked out with an Anderson stripped lower. Couple months ago, they had Bushmasters for the same price, should have got a couple more at that time. Same thing, just different rollmark.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I think that complete .308 lower and stock assembly for 189$ is going in the cart.

OK, the deed is done, so, should I be looking for a 16", 18", or 20" upper, this will probably be a maximum of a 300 yd hunt in my neck of the woods, but I have made it out west to hunt and probably will in the future, weight is a consideration in CO. Any other suggestions from AR-10 owners?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have a 24" .920 barrel AR10. It weighs in around 14lbs all up. With a VTAC sling it is not hard to carry for several miles but it is no brush gun either.

I would go with the shortest barrel that will give you a rifle lenght gas system. Just to make life a little easier on the locking lugs.

I dont know if it will really matter, that is just my thoughts. Unless you are comparing bull barrels then I don't think you are going to save much weight with a shorter barrel. There is just not much weight to saved in an AR10 platform.

On the other hand you won't gain much velocity with a 2-4" longer barrel. The muzzle blast will just be a little farther from your face.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I really like the 20" setup on my Armalite AR10t. Balances well.
    I have a 24" .920 barrel AR10. It weighs in around 14lbs all up. With a VTAC sling it is not hard to carry for several miles but it is no brush gun either.

I would go with the shortest barrel that will give you a rifle lenght gas system. Just to make life a little easier on the locking lugs.

I dont know if it will really matter, that is just my thoughts. Unless you are comparing bull barrels then I don't think you are going to save much weight with a shorter barrel. There is just not much weight to saved in an AR10 platform.

On the other hand you won't gain much velocity with a 2-4" longer barrel. The muzzle blast will just be a little farther from your face.

Thanks, I am not familiar with the carbine vs. rifle length gas systems effect on the locking lugs, do they get more pounding with the carbine or is there some increased ammo pickiness?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    16" will get you ANYWHERE you need to be with some weight savings.

I am inclined to do the 16" just for compactness in the deer stand.

Any opinions on stainless vs. other?
    JKP wrote: »
    I really like the 20" setup on my Armalite AR10t. Balances well.

I have noticed some issues with me when handling other folks AR-10 16" carbines, but I did not fiddle with their adjustable stocks so I assumed I could correct some of the balance/pointing issues this way, yes?
    Probably. Mine is the old school A2 stock.
    The carbine length gas system has higher pressure at the gas port.

More pressure equals more bolt speed. I doubt many people will ever shoot a full size AR enough to matter though.

A rifle lenght gas system will also have slightly less recoil. I know it only a 7.62X51. Less recoil will mean getting back on target quicker though.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    The carbine gas systems have two issues that make them more aggressive. The port is closer to the chamber and the higher pressures and they were designed for barrels under 16" which increases the dwell time.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I have to pay $20 per lower for a transfer...

That would make it $207 delivered, about $70 per.

Still haven't built out the three Bushmasters I got months ago, but the .300 BO barrel looks good in the upper, so far. I realize and upper should go with almost any lower, but I want them to be from the same manufacturer and match.

D

No joy, my LGS upped their transfer fees, $35 each, $105 total, so $250 total cost for 3 lowers, I am not complaining, $80 each more or less is good in my neck of the woods, I was hoping to get out of there for $50 less.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,478 Senior Member
    That sucks, but I see it from thier side too. More $ for transfers helps them compete with the e-stores. Helps LGS keep the lights on and a place for us to loiter.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    No joy, my LGS upped their transfer fees, $35 each, $105 total, so $250 total cost for 3 lowers, I am not complaining, $80 each more or less is good in my neck of the woods, I was hoping to get out of there for $50 less.
    The base gun club hooked me up big time. They would allow me to do up to *5 lowers* on one transfer fee charge! I only ordered two, but that is good info to have for the future.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    I have lowers and jig on the way so either Palmetto or Blackthorne will be getting some business!
    My first .308( the start of). $200 to get it to the LGS, $35 for the LGS to transfer it, they have a complete stainless 18" barrel mid length upper for $459, need to shop a bit, but that may be it.

IMG_01921_zpsor8imbek.jpg
    Awesome!!

I want one of those!!

Play the fathers day card.

Nobody is even close to that complete upper price
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-10/ar-10-upper-assemblies/psa-pa10-18-mid-moe-blk-ss-1-10-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

Done deal, plus some Federal 50gr.
    Just ordered a few more darn it. One for a friend and a pistol for me. I will build one of my prebans as a pistol so it can always be a pistol then add the golf ball launcher and bumpfire stock.
    Got the .308 up and running, Palmetto 18" stainless barrel with a Magpul fore stock, Palmetto lower with a trigger that consistently broke in the high 7# to low 8# range, put a Magpul BUIS rear site on it and took it to the range. $235 for the complete lower with the transfer fee, $449 for the complete upper, $65 for the Magpul rear site and 25$ each for 2 MagPul 20 rnd mags. So, $ 799 total as she stands for a DPMS pattern .308 AR.

IMG_01981_zpsknarblbf.jpg

Shot a magazine full of WWB 147gr to test for function and site in at 20 yds:

Off the bench, me and a buddy shot the group below the bullseye and son #2 shot the group above the bullseye.
    IMG_01991_zpsgah5fftj.jpg

Off hand shooting rapid fire at the same distance:
    IMG_02001_zpsaisqhkp7.jpg

No failures to feed or fire except the very first round off the magazine, it was loaded to max, no dent on the primer, round was stripped off the magazine and was in battery. All in all, I like it ALOT, scope is going to be next.
    Rock River Armory has their National Match two stage triggers on sale for $62 right now. I ordered two that should be here Monday.

I run the yellow card trigger in my LR308 and AR15 lower. For the money you can't beat them.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Not Palmetto, but I just spent $50 on a FDE stripped upper from Gunpartscorp.com, to go with the $60 FDE Mag Tactical lower I got from the LGS. I'm pretty sure the lower's cast, but it oughta be good enough for my purposes.
    Rock River Armory has their National Match two stage triggers on sale for $62 right now. I ordered two that should be here Monday.

I run the yellow card trigger in my LR308 and AR15 lower. For the money you can't beat them.

That is a pretty good price, adjustable triggers or set trigger pull?
    toymachine wrote: »
    Not Palmetto, but I just spent $50 on a FDE stripped upper from Gunpartscorp.com, to go with the $60 FDE Mag Tactical lower I got from the LGS. I'm pretty sure the lower's cast, but it oughta be good enough for my purposes.

If you come in under $235 for a complete lower and $449 for a complete upper, please post up.
    If you come in under $235 for a complete lower and $449 for a complete upper, please post up.

Well, a UTG Pro buttstock for $27.55, and an Anderson LPK for $46.29, probably $15.00 for shipping from CTD, be about $150 for the lower, unless I'm forgetting something.

Well, I guess add 5.95 for a new old stock, ban era Thermold mag. And another five for an A1 grip, can't be seen running around with a stock A2 pistol grip, can we?

I've currently got an upper with a $75 takeoff barrel from Apex, a $40 blem upper and a $85 bcg from Palmetto. Then thirty for the gas block and twelve for the gas tube. And $36 for the ff tube/barrel nut. Call it three hundred with shipping.
    That is a pretty good price, adjustable triggers or set trigger pull?

Set weight. 4-5lbs but smooth enough it feels less.
    Dad 5-31-13