Home Main Category General Firearms

Bolt Action, 22 mag

hawk18hawk18 Senior MemberPosts: 742 Senior Member
Is this rifle worth the money? The "local" Cabela's has them for $269 and I have been hankerin' for a 22 mag. Don't need one, just want one.

Hawk

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485833642

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,462 Senior Member
    Has CZ on it it should be a shooter! For that $$ buy one, hell two.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    Worth looking into further. Google Zastiva or however you spell it. I remember reading something about those rifles a couple of years ago, but can't say. I wouldn't jump all over it.

Here's a link to a review. What nagged at my memory is covered here. The CZ isn't the same as the CZ we all know, made in the Czech Republic, it's one made in Serbia. You can read the results and decide for yourself.

https://www.preciseshooter.com/blog/zastava99.aspx
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Good informative reply Gene, big differences in the two marked CZ.................

From your link:

"When hearing the term CZ in connection with firearms, one usually assumes that it is a product of famous Česká Zbrojovka, the Czech firearms factory that makes such wonders of modern gunsmithing as CZ 75 pistol or CZ 452 rimfire rifle.

Not so. In this case CZ stands for Crvena Zastava, a Serbian arms manufacturer. But it gets worse. While Zastava is probably best known for its Mauser rifles and M57 Tokarev clones, it has another weapon that is known as CZ-99 - which is a clone of famous Sig P226 pistol."
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Not familiar with that particular model, but from what I know of Zastava RFs, it SHOULD be a tack-driver. (YMMV)

I'd say gopher it.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,696 Senior Member
    I recently bought a Zastava, but mine is in .22LR and "full stock" (Not available in the U.S.) configuration:

According to what I've read, these are "upgraded" copies of the Winchester 69A action, but haven't been able to compare it with a friend's 69A yet. Mine has proven quite accurate even with bulk ammo, very close or equal to what you can expect of a Czech-made CZ 452 or 455 rifle.

Rifle is 100% blued steel, with a nice finish for the price; wood is also decent but factory finish is so-so for a commercial rifle. Seems like they dipped the wood in BLO or something like that and that's it, while checkering looks like made by a toddler with a nail, but that can be easily solved with some work (I sanded mine with 2500 grit to seal the wood's pores following the stock lines and left a nice glossy finish). Apparently this was the assembly part where the factory made the biggest savings.

Trigger pull and creep can be adjusted by working on a couple of bolts, but you'll have to remove the wood; check "Zastava .22" in Youtube and there are at least a couple of nice tutorial videos than can show you how to do it. Mine is a tad lower than 2lbs. but you can go a bit lower although it can render the trigger unsafe, specially for hunting conditions.
    If you have big hands, the bolt handle might seem a tad "toy-ish" due to its small size (Specially if compared with a CZ) but might get used to it eventually.

Magazines sometimes need a little fondling to work 100%, or at least the .22LR's do. I had to lightly polish (Using 2000 grit sandpaper & a small set of jeweler files) the edges of the feeding lips & follower in both of mine to remove some wee machining burrs that were causing feeding issues, and then reduced the spring's length (Overlapping the tip of both ends over the next coil) to achieve proper reliability (Add also a good cleaning & light lubing) and easy loading.

Also lubed all moving parts, including the magazine holding assembly (Not as user-friendly as others but still serviceable); in the end, for the advertised price you can't go wrong.....I payed twice that for mine (Magnums go for an extra $ 30 or so) and still find it an outstanding rimfire rifle for the money!

The "Other rimfire rifles" section of www.rimfirecentral.com forum has also lots of tips & reviews regarding these rifles; might worth taking a peek.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,155 Senior Member
    If I could get one of the full stock ones like Antonio has, I would do it in a heartbeat
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    You might be better off to buy a new Marlin bolt .22 mag (new series XT-22?) or a used 883.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    Try J&G. The 22lr version is $169. I have 2 of them coming this week.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • 22jdub22jdub New Member Posts: 17 New Member
    Ruger American is right in that ballpark as well with the accutrigger. Picked one up for my son for Christmas, its a great little gun