Home Main Category Clubhouse

Music of the American Civil War

shushshush Senior MemberPosts: 6,259 Senior Member
This looks like it may be worth tuning into the old wireless set next week.

To mark the 150th anniversary of the end of the American Civil War, Kris Kristofferson looks back over the music and musical legacy of the Civil War era.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05wyd4c

"The war spawned a body of songs that over the years have enhanced understanding of the mood and sentiments of the men and women - from both the North and South - engaged in that long and costly struggle, which claimed more than half a million lives. The outpouring of new music that focused on the war and its participants formed the very foundation of a nation's music. Songs like Home Sweet Home, Battle Cry of Freedom, Lorena, John Brown's Body, were known across the land.

In episode one and in the company of historians, music experts, songwriters and musicians, Kris explores the history of the conflict through its music and discovers how and why the Civil War generated so many of the songs and musical styles found in American music today."

Replies

• waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 838 Senior Member
    Thanks for the heads up, sounds interesting and better then any of the crap on tv, I don't mind a bit of Kristofferson, but the old man is a die-hard fan, he'll be thrilled.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    waipapa13 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up, sounds interesting and better then any of the crap on tv, I don't mind a bit of Kristofferson, but the old man is a die-hard fan, he'll be thrilled.

:up:

The Beeb is usually very good at this stuff.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Couldn't get it to connect, shush. But probably just as well. We lost the War anyhow, so why worry about it? On a serious note, however, I wonder.....

How could something as sad, vicious and idiotic as the American War Between The States create music? Maybe I'm just getting too old and senile to understand :tooth:
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Couldn't get it to connect, shush.........

It will be broadcast on Tuesday 2 of June 22:00 BST.

......... however, I wonder.....How could something as sad, vicious and idiotic as the American War Between The States create music? Maybe I'm just getting too old and senile to understand :tooth:

Music from conflict?

Without this;

4_mural_fort_mchenry.jpg

You would not have this;

With no small input from this chap;

trivia9.jpg

"Key gave the poem to his brother-in-law Judge Joseph H. Nicholson who saw that the words fit the popular melody "The Anacreontic Song", by English composer John Stafford Smith. This was the official song of the Anacreontic Society, an 18th-century gentlemen's club of amateur musicians in London."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Couldn't get it to connect, shush. But probably just as well. We lost the War anyhow, so why worry about it? On a serious note, however, I wonder.....

How could something as sad, vicious and idiotic as the American War Between The States create music? Maybe I'm just getting too old and senile to understand :tooth:

Bad times can be an inspiration for music, like the Blues. Bad times seem always with us, so songwriters and composers write music about it, same as they write music about the good times. At least, that's my take on it.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams