Home Main Category Clubhouse

Amazing news: Sam's chemo update

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
After the flooding, made our way to my oncologist's office Tuesday. Last Thursday I had a new CAT scan to see the progress (or lack of it) regarding the chemo.

Doc came into the room beaming. He showed me the scan results and in ALL cases, the tumor sites are shrunk! And some of the lymph nodes in my abdomen which had cancer are now CLEAN! And zero new sites, too.

When I was first diagnosed in February and I met my oncologist, I told him that I was pretty well versed in chemistry and such, and was also pretty sharp otherwise mentally (haw!) so I wanted it straight arrow and no touchy-feely. So he's been totally frank with me from the start, and he was clearly delighted in the results.

He said, "I could not have expected better results."

The charts he gave me showed direct downslope in all sites, each becoming smaller by as much as 40%, which is amazing considering that I've only had 4 chemo sessions.

My girlfriend burst into tears of joy at the news, bless her!

So, temporarily, I am off the chemo because my platelet count is too low, and I'm getting a 3 week interval, and begin the next session June 2.

So we're amazingly happy at the terrific work that these folks have done for me, and the drugs themselves, of course. Also thankfully, I seem to be having minimal side effects, and even if the slight effects I now have (diarrhea, headaches, tingling in fingertips and mouth) increase, I can deal with it nicely.

So hey!

Replies

• N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    After the flooding, made our way to my oncologist's office Tuesday. Last Thursday I had a new CAT scan to see the progress (or lack of it) regarding the chemo.

Doc came into the room beaming. He showed me the scan results and in ALL cases, the tumor sites are shrunk! And some of the lymph nodes in my abdomen which had cancer are now CLEAN! And zero new sites, too.

When I was first diagnosed in February and I met my oncologist, I told him that I was pretty well versed in chemistry and such, and was also pretty sharp otherwise mentally (haw!) so I wanted it straight arrow and no touchy-feely. So he's been totally frank with me from the start, and he was clearly delighted in the results.

The charts he gave me showed direct downslope in all sites, each becoming smaller by as much as 40%, which is amazing considering that I've only had 4 chemo sessions.

So, temporarily, I am off the chemo because my platelet count is too low, and I'm getting a 3 week interval, and begin the next session June 2.

So we're amazingly happy at the terrific work that these folks have done for me, and the drugs themselves, of course. Also thankfully, I seem to be having minimal side effects, and even if the slight effects I now have (diarrhea, headaches, tingling in fingertips and mouth) increase, I can deal with it nicely.

So hey!

:up:
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Good news indeed.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Awesome, keep fighting!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,105 Senior Member
    Excellent news Sam.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    :applause::applause:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Excellent news!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 810 Senior Member
    Excellent News.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,724 Senior Member
    Way to go!
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Wow, Sam. That is incredible news!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,637 Senior Member
    That is totally FANTASTIC! Wow! Somebody "up there" likes you!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 390 Member
    zorba wrote: »
    That is totally FANTASTIC! Wow! Somebody "up there" likes you!

Or someone down there doesn't want him to show up yet. Just kidding Sam. Congrats and prayers out to ya.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    So good to hear Sam. Will still send prayers your way every now and again.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »

So hey!

Thank God Sam. Prayer really works. And good docs work too!!! This is great news buddy, and if I drank anymore, I'd go out and celebrate! Thanks for the great info!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 838 Senior Member
    That's great news Sam, really glad to hear it, Kia Kaha.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    You're on the mend Sam. Keep it up.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Awesome! :up: :win: :worthy: :applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    I suggest a virgin shirley temple to celebrate!
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,899 Senior Member
    Great news Sam. I must concur with Dan C
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,139 Senior Member
    Awesome news, Sam!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    Outstanding!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,248 Senior Member
    COOL! This includes the stuff they thought they couldn't treat?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,822 Senior Member
    Great news indeed, glad to hear it's working as advertised!!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Congrats! No better news... :)

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Flashover wrote: »
    Or someone down there doesn't want him to show up yet. Just kidding Sam. Congrats and prayers out to ya.

That's more like it. I'm likely to start trouble wherever I end up.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    COOL! This includes the stuff they thought they couldn't treat?

Yes. There was no assurance about lack of success, just clinical skepticism. So the new results are pretty fine, and a very pleasant surprise, to say the least.
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    That's great news Sam, glad to hear :up:
    I suggest a virgin shirley temple to celebrate!

Shirley Temples are by definition virgin.

But I'm okay with the occasional beer nowadays, just not during the chemo -- makes me sick. A couple days later, keen. And yeah, we did celebrate afterward. I had a couple of fine IPAs. Tasty.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,669 Senior Member
    That's wonderful news, Sam. I'm glad to hear it. I was wondering how you fared after those floods in Houston.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Sam , that is great news.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT