Home Main Category Clubhouse

Amazing news: Sam's chemo update

2»

Replies

• Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 733 Senior Member
    Now that is the kind of news we love! Kuddos to the docs and the gal friend, and praise the Lord! :angel:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,705 Senior Member
    Great news
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Outstanding! Never give up Sam........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    That's wonderful news, Sam. I'm glad to hear it. I was wondering how you fared after those floods in Houston.

Flood info is posted under Teach's thread "How high's the water..."

Short version, no prob for us, lotsa problems for others, sadly.
    Another update that's excellent --

All the tumor sites on the liver, spleen, and abdominal lymph areas have shrunk for about 30%, which is excellent.

But also the CEA results are terrific. CEA (Carcinomic Embryonic Antigen) is a measure of the virulence and nastiness of a cancer. It's a chemical antigen in the blood that is normally near zero, the non-cancer adult values at less than 2.5, and a large CEA value means a strong cancer.

Just before I started chemo, my CEA was 306.6 (versus normal adult values of < 2.5). Then, after 4 chemo sessions, the CEA was 291.3 which my oncologist says was excellent although the numeric decrease of 306.6 to 291.3 doesn't seem much, he said that it marked good progress.

Last week I got another blood workup and yesterday I received the results. My CEA is 70.1 -- amazing drop in the level, and sure and certain signs that the chemo is working great!

Hey, sometimes good news is there, eh?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,705 Senior Member
    Good news :angel2:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Kick that cancer butt Sam!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,637 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Kick that cancer butt Sam!

Yea - show us how its done! :up:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    That's just amazing, Sam.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Yeah, I was as surprised as anyone. The CEA being in the low 70s is pretty fantastic.

Best is also that I'm feeling pretty good of late, more energy and such. Not that I ever had a LOT of energy in the first place -- my Dad called me the laziest guy he ever knew and would laugh at it.

Anyway, onward thru the fog!
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Not sure how I missed this but that's great news Sam.
    Thanks for the update.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    Great news, Sam. We all know you're way too tough an old bird to let a little thing like cancer get in the way of enjoying life.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    That is why you like cats Sam, lazy likes lazy ! joke..... all kidding aside the new meds and genetic research makes possible targeting tumors specific weaknesses, targeted radiation that is less potent than a dental x-ray yet many times more effective combined with new genetically tailored meds for that patients cancer, not the old shotgun approach to chemotherapy, the prognosis is way better today than it was 10 years ago, ,hen again I think medical facilities are way better in Texas than other States with smaller budgets and less staff to treat patients sadly enough.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996