Home Main Category General Firearms

School me about suppressor's

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 5,066 Senior Member
Having never owned a suppressor, and know little about them I need your advise.
Rifle -- DPMS Panther Classic .308
In your opinion what is the best suppressor for this rifle ?
Will it effect the point of aim ?
Can it be transported across state lines and what paperwork is needed to do so ?

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,666 Senior Member
    I've got an Advanced Armament which is a very good one. I don't know about "best" since I have only one to compare it to. Since my rifle is dedicated to a suppressor, I've got it zeroed in for the suppressor and don't know if the POI was affected.

I think state laws vary so much you'd have to look it up for the specific state you're traveling to. In some states, they're prohibited.

Mine is a .30 Blackout. With supersonic ammo, firing it with the suppressor makes it hearing-safe. With subsonic, it's about like an air rifle.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,169 Senior Member
    You do have to file a form with the BATFEIEIO when you are crossing state lines. I forget what form it is, since I have not taken my can outside of Texas.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    It's the ATFform 5320.20:
    https://www.atf.gov/content/atf-form-532020-omb-number-1140-0010

And that is the problem with dealing with the ATF. Each guy there can tell you a different story, and none of them be right. But YOUare still liable if you accidentally break a law.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    So if you want an SBR with a suppressor, you have to fill out two forms? and pay $400?

And why are suppressors $100 in New Zealand and $700 here?

If you get a suppressor approved , can you make your own?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,377 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »

D

You guys get to own handguns without having to jump through hoops and destroy a forest to generate paperwork.............we get to own suppressors without destroying a forest to generate paperwork................

Your POI will change with a suppressor fitted. Its simple enough to deal with.

I sight my rifles in without the suppressor, then set the turrets to zero.
    Using the same ammo, I then re-sight them in at the same range by adjusting the turrets for the changed POI.
    Once I am satisfied, I mark the new settings with a small 's'. When I grab the rifle to go shoot something I take the caps off and check to see what I settings I have the scope on and either adjust it back to shoot POI sans suppressor or adjust it to shoot with the suppressor.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    BigDanS wrote: »
    So if you want an SBR with a suppressor, you have to fill out two forms? and pay $400?

Yes. Unless it's an integrally suppressed SBR... then it's one stamp, IIRC

Supply and demand. when anyone can buy one at any store, the cost goes down

If you get a suppressor approved , can you make your own?

yes, on what's called a Form 1, IIRC

D
    above
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,547 Senior Member
    Thunder Beast is what I am currently using.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"