Home Main Category General Firearms

School me about suppressor's

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,958 Senior Member
Having never owned a suppressor, and know little about them I need your advise.
Rifle -- DPMS Panther Classic .308
In your opinion what is the best suppressor for this rifle ?
Will it effect the point of aim ?
Can it be transported across state lines and what paperwork is needed to do so ?

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,738 Senior Member
    I've got an Advanced Armament which is a very good one. I don't know about "best" since I have only one to compare it to. Since my rifle is dedicated to a suppressor, I've got it zeroed in for the suppressor and don't know if the POI was affected.

I think state laws vary so much you'd have to look it up for the specific state you're traveling to. In some states, they're prohibited.

Mine is a .30 Blackout. With supersonic ammo, firing it with the suppressor makes it hearing-safe. With subsonic, it's about like an air rifle.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,093 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Having never owned a suppressor, and know little about them I need your advise.
    Rifle -- DPMS Panther Classic .308
    In your opinion what is the best suppressor for this rifle ? Kind of like asking who makes the "best" hamburger. No real way to quantify it, it depends on what your wanting, Lowest signature, light weight, accuracy, etc et al
    Will it effect the point of aim ? Probably, you're adding quite a bit of weight to the end of the barrel, odds are that's going to change your POI and could possible change the accuracy due to different barrel harmonics from the added length & weight
    Can it be transported across state lines and what paperwork is needed to do so ?I believe so, AS LONG AS IT'S from one "supressor friendly" state into another "supressor friendly" state.
    Concerning the paperwork, I SUSPECT a copy of your tax stamp (If bought as an individual) or Tax stamp + Trust paperwork (If bought through a trust) is all you need

JAY
    That's how I BELIEVE it works, but am not a lawyer, and try not to play one on the internet, so while I BELIEVE I am correct, I can't guarantee that I am.

edited to add: I have no first hand experience with one, but I have been lusting after an AWC Thor Thundertrap (Titanium) in 223 and a regular steel "gutted" Thundertrap for my 50 Beowulf and in 30 cal
    https://awcsilencers.com/shop/
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,150 Senior Member
    You do have to file a form with the BATFEIEIO when you are crossing state lines. I forget what form it is, since I have not taken my can outside of Texas.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Bullsi's response has me wondering, so I am currently on hold with the BATF's field office that covers my home county.

I've told the agent I'm speaking with that a friend from Mississippi wants to bring his registered SBR and suppressor with him for a weekend visit. Initially he said he needed nothing but his tax stamps, but I referenced Bullsi's post by saying "my friend's been told there's some sort of form he needs to fill out to cross state lines with it".

He just came back on the line after checking some things and said that as long as there isn't a change of possession, "my friend" isn't moving here, & as long as he transports and we shoot it in a legal manner, all he needs is his tax stamps.

Of course you might call a different BATFEIEIO office and get told something completely different, but that's what the Mobile AL office said as of today (Of course tomorrow may be a completely different story :uhm: )
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

It's the ATFform 5320.20:
    https://www.atf.gov/content/atf-form-532020-omb-number-1140-0010

And that is the problem with dealing with the ATF. Each guy there can tell you a different story, and none of them be right. But YOUare still liable if you accidentally break a law.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    So if you want an SBR with a suppressor, you have to fill out two forms? and pay $400?

And why are suppressors $100 in New Zealand and $700 here?

If you get a suppressor approved , can you make your own?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,110 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »

D

You guys get to own handguns without having to jump through hoops and destroy a forest to generate paperwork.............we get to own suppressors without destroying a forest to generate paperwork................

Your POI will change with a suppressor fitted. Its simple enough to deal with.

I sight my rifles in without the suppressor, then set the turrets to zero.
    Using the same ammo, I then re-sight them in at the same range by adjusting the turrets for the changed POI.
    Once I am satisfied, I mark the new settings with a small 's'. When I grab the rifle to go shoot something I take the caps off and check to see what I settings I have the scope on and either adjust it back to shoot POI sans suppressor or adjust it to shoot with the suppressor.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    BigDanS wrote: »
    So if you want an SBR with a suppressor, you have to fill out two forms? and pay $400?

Yes. Unless it's an integrally suppressed SBR... then it's one stamp, IIRC

Supply and demand. when anyone can buy one at any store, the cost goes down

If you get a suppressor approved , can you make your own?

yes, on what's called a Form 1, IIRC

D
    above
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    It's the ATFform 5320.20:
    https://www.atf.gov/content/atf-form-532020-omb-number-1140-0010

And that is the problem with dealing with the ATF. Each guy there can tell you a different story, and none of them be right. But YOUare still liable if you accidentally break a law.
    Which is why I worded my response the way I did, KNOWING that you have one and are probably more UTD on the regs than I am, but knowing what one man, at one BATF field office said contrary to that.

edited to add: Honestly, any time I've actually been concerned about breaking a law, I've submitted my question by MAIL, so I had a signed hard copy, on BATFE letterhead telling me ______ is legal/okay/acceptable

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,474 Senior Member
    Thunder Beast is what I am currently using.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"