Home Main Category General Firearms

SBR questions...

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,973 Senior Member
This .300 BO build I am working on has me full of ideas. The upper is easy enough, and I am seeing the possibilities of making an SBR, with a suppressor.

If you register a lower as an SBR, are you limited to one caliber? I can easily see an SBR with a .223 upper, and a .300 BO upper, using the same suppressor. I really don't see a hunting need for a .223 suppressed, but launching 220 gr .308's at 1080 FPS has my interest. Meanwhile I can also see home defense with a .223 and a can.

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Dan, Wambli mentioned in his thread on PSA Uppers that his SBR was registered as 'multiple uppers'. If he doesn't come along and give you an answer, then PM him and ask him how that works. :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,386 Senior Member
    There are a couple "vague" questions on the Form 1.

One of which is the "caliber" question. I choose to list all of the calibers i may want to shoot. since i know what calibers i want now and in the future, it wasnt a big deal.

The other question was LOA. So chances are you will have a telescoping stock. i choose the shorter LOA for the fill in the box.

a comment.

you shouldn't be afraid to call and ask the BATFE about questions you have. I found that they were really helpful in answering about how to fill in the forms. Even when i made mistakes on the forms, they were really helpful.

good luck.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    You register the gun as multiple uppers, multiple calibers and min to max LOA range. All this info will be on the form with the tax stamp. The BATF is very helpful on this.

Told ya he had the skinny on the subject! :up:
    ― Douglas Adams
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm a walking repository of limited use information... :tooth:

It's good to be able to ask someone that has gone through the process, though. Gives a body a heads up on what to do. When dealing with Uncle Sugar's minions! :silly: :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams