Home Main Category Hunting

What the hell's this? A long range Cough Cough ......270 Win.?

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/270-win-long-range-shooting-3.php

I think you'll have to register to (Edited) Post, but check it out.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
«1

Replies

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,554 Senior Member
    Darn near all the standard hunting cartridges will make 500 yards without a problem.

    .260 Rem
    7mm-08 Rem
    .25-06
    .270
    .280
    .30-06
    etc.

    482 yards is no great ballistic feat for many, many a cartridge.

    If my short and stubby .308 Win can touch 800+ yards like it was yesterday...........you're gonna need more to impress than a deer at sub 500 with a .270 Winchester.

    Just say'n.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Darn near all the standard hunting cartridges will make 500 yards without a problem.

    .260 Rem
    7mm-08 Rem
    .25-06
    .270
    .280
    .30-06
    etcbull

    482 yards is no great ballistic feat for many, many a cartridge.

    If my short and stubby .308 Win can touch 800+ yards like it was yesterday...........you're gonna need more to impress than a deer at sub 500 with a .270 Winchester.

    Just say'n.

    OK Well, I'll be back with more to come, because this was just the last article I saw. I was only surprised to see that somebody was making heavier bullets and tighter twist barrels for it. There's another guy that shoots 175 grain bullets in his and his rifle is a 1:8 twist.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Darn near all the standard hunting cartridges will make 500 yards without a problem.

    .260 Rem
    7mm-08 Rem
    .25-06
    .270
    .280
    .30-06
    etc.

    482 yards is no great ballistic feat for many, many a cartridge.

    If my short and stubby .308 Win can touch 800+ yards like it was yesterday...........you're gonna need more to impress than a deer at sub 500 with a .270 Winchester.

    Just say'n.
    Snake can't see 500 yds.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,886 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Darn near all the standard hunting cartridges will make 500 yards without a problem.

    .260 Rem
    7mm-08 Rem
    .25-06
    .270
    .280
    .30-06
    etc.

    482 yards is no great ballistic feat for many, many a cartridge.

    If my short and stubby .308 Win can touch 800+ yards like it was yesterday...........you're gonna need more to impress than a deer at sub 500 with a .270 Winchester.

    Just say'n.

    tumblr_nc088uvdga1tgkjz9o1_1280.jpg
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,383 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    482 yards is no great ballistic feat for many, many a cartridge.

    If my short and stubby .308 Win can touch 800+ yards like it was yesterday...........you're gonna need more to impress than a deer at sub 500 with a .270 Winchester.

    +1.
    It's a .30-06-family cartridge - - of course it can go 500 yards, and remarkably enough, after 80 years on the market bullet makers are have started (STARTED!) to construct decent long range bullets for it. The question remains, however: With all of the things you might choose in that general neck of the ballistic woods, what logical reason could there be for selecting ANYTHING launching .277" bullets?

    At the last gun show I went to a few weeks ago, I came across a pre-'64 Model 70 match rifle that appeared to be in great shape and all-original. It was chambered in .270. . .this made confused :drool:, and then it made me sad.:tissue:
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,554 Senior Member
    tumblr_nc088uvdga1tgkjz9o1_1280.jpg

    anigif_enhanced-buzz-8696-1365442611-5_zpsf6wjwseh.gif
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,886 Senior Member
    overtheline.jpg
    I'm just here for snark.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,554 Senior Member
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-3680-1365442519-3_zps33jwyjwi.gif
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,886 Senior Member
    761d9d27-e668-468a-82f8-6c8460644860.jpg
    I'm just here for snark.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,554 Senior Member
    6366858A-1647-4CB4-9463-693EB95C3358_zps87dwbmos.gif
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,886 Senior Member
    bigleb.jpg
    I'm just here for snark.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Snake can't see 500 yds.

    You got that right Ned,:roll2::roll2::roll2:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,554 Senior Member
    F24D4FC1-8AA6-4632-B06D-E19E65A9C63E_zpsspnda4fi.gif
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    +1.
    It's a .30-06-family cartridge - - of course it can go 500 yards, and remarkably enough, after 80 years on the market bullet makers are have started (STARTED!) to construct decent long range bullets for it. The question remains, however: With all of the things you might choose in that general neck of the ballistic woods, what logical reason could there be for selecting ANYTHING launching .277" bullets?

    At the last gun show I went to a few weeks ago, I came across a pre-'64 Model 70 match rifle that appeared to be in great shape and all-original. It was chambered in .270. . .this made confused :drool:, and then it made me sad.:tissue:

    You're a pretty smart guy, but evidently history has alluded you, in this case anyway. Go back to 1925, the year Winchester brought out the model 54 rifle and their new cartridge. 1925 was only 7 years after what? The Great War, during which time, Americans stopped using and doing anything and everything even remotely akin to German Culture. My family here in this county had landed not even 70 years before that, right here on this bay in Calhoun County Texas, from Germany ( A lot of German immigrants came into Texas during the 1840s). They, and almost every American of German blood broke culturally with Germany, about the time of America's involvement in WWI.

    It was VERY unpopular to be of German Blood at that time, and I remember my old maid aunt, my grandmother's sister, who was a strict Baptist and pillar of the church, who would never let alcohol touch her lips, a person you would put your money on to never say anything that was not the sole truth, actually BOLD FACE Lied to me about her ancestry, and denied her German ancestry. She, being second generation German American, claimed her mother's blood, English. Once I asked her if she had ever learned to speak German, and she told me, in no uncertain terms, "We're English, not German!" :roll2::roll2::roll2: And that was 40 years after the Great War. At that time all over German Texas and the rest of the U.S., people of German extraction stopped speaking German, even within the family. They denounced all things German.

    Now what in hell does this have to do with the .270 you may ask? The .270, though possibly coming from some OTHER foreign roots, was NOT GERMAN!!! And that was a BIG DEAL to the American marketers and the gun buying public at that time.

    You say no purpose for the .277? I say That right there was the Purpose for the .270 and not a 7mm-06. .277 was about the same thing and would do everything a 7mm would do, but it was just enough different, yeah .007 inch, to disassociate it from the 7mm Mauser and thus all things Millimeter, which would no doubt, in that time, sell much better. And it did, and it does.

    Now THAT, I believe, was the purpose of the .277 Diameter. So there was a reason for it. And it got started as such and so that is what we have. It is what it is, get over it! And I will be the first to tell you, it is nothing special or better, but it works.

    And now, after 90 years, bullet and barrel makers finally pulled their head out of that dark, warm, moist place and have started competing with all the rest of the bullet diameters in the world. I knew it had to happen someday and that's all I was doing with this thread, was pointing that out.

    Now, next question here might be, will I build me a .270 for long range shooting with a tight barrel twist to take advantage of long, Hi BC Bullets? I don't think, because as Ned says, "Snake can't even SEE 500 yards," :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

    Chief, I like this first article, the one I made the URL black. It's bare bones and no BS.

    The second article merely pitts the two, Elmer and Jack, together in their endless argument. Sounds familiar....
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,037 Senior Member
    I have long said that if the bullet makers would make a .277 bullet like an A-Max or VLD in the 160 - 190 gr. range, it would be as good as any other cartridge out to 1000yds. and beyond based on the 06 case.
    I'd love to see a .28 Nosler necked down to .270 with the above bullets.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,383 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    You're a pretty smart guy, but evidently history has alluded you, in this case anyway. Go back to 1925, the year Winchester brought out the model 54 rifle and their new cartridge. 1925 was only 7 years after what? The Great War, during which time, Americans stopped using and doing anything and everything even remotely akin to German Culture. blah, blah, blah. . .

    So. . .basically what you're saying is the .270 is the cartridge of choice for folks that are hung up on or insecure in their ancestry, or xenophobes that are hung up on or insecure about the ancestry of others? In short, a cartridge spawned by and for people with serious issues. That much I will agree to wholeheartedly. :silly:

    We would have already failed the "It's too German" test in keeping our Mauser-derived '03 Springfields, P17's, and developing the early M70, so the notion of building on one of those and then wigging out over the chambering holds little water. The 7x57 was never much for German national use anyway. A simple rebranding would have done the trick to satisfy the ignorant - such as the Brits did in dubbing it the ".275 Rigby"
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,033 Senior Member
    Thank all the Gods above for the .303 Brit! :devil:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Snake, you just got owned.

    In your dreams cup cake, now crawl back under your rock!:guns:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    So. . .basically what you're saying is the .270 is the cartridge of choice for folks that are hung up on or insecure in their ancestry, or xenophobes that are hung up on or insecure about the ancestry of others? In short, a cartridge spawned by and for people with serious issues. That much I will agree to wholeheartedly. :silly:

    We would have already failed the "It's too German" test in keeping our Mauser-derived '03 Springfields, P17's, and developing the early M70, so the notion of building on one of those and then wigging out over the chambering holds little water. The 7x57 was never much for German national use anyway. A simple rebranding would have done the trick to satisfy the ignorant - such as the Brits did in dubbing it the ".275 Rigby"

    You miss the point. MM or as chief calls it, Silymilimeter, was taboo to most Americans. Yes, that's probably the reason the Brits named it the 275 Rigby, though that was a sort of stupid dubbed in name since it was a .284. And .275 sounded a lot closer to .270 which also proves my point. Were the British too, Insecure?

    And if you're saying that everyone who liked the .270 was insecure then I guess in your mind the whole country was insecure. Whatever, you can spin this anyway you want, but that was the sentiment of this country back around WWI. And all I'm saying is that is my sincerest opinion why Winchester went with what they did.

    The Springfield was at that time a Service rifle. Civilians had little use of it. And most of them only knew that Mauser was a thoroughly German entity and had no idea a Springfield shared any common features. The average Joe at that time had no clue it was a copy of a Mauser. It was American as Apple Pie. It was used in the Great War by the Doe Boys and so was the U.S. Enfield, which even today some people consider more British than American because of the name. Everything is in a name. But, in truth, the P-14 and 1917 Enfields were as Mauser as the Springfield, maybe more so.

    I would agree with you if you had offered that all would have had to be done was for the U.S. to build a true 7mm-06 and call it a .280 or a .284, all of which were so dubbed American rifles later. The 7 Remington Mag. was brought out in the 60s after things cooled off and after WWII when our country had calmed down from its Deutschaphobia.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    ....Yes, that's probably the reason the Brits named it the 275 Rigby, though that was a sort of stupid dubbed in name since it was a .284. And .275 sounded a lot closer to .270 which also proves my point.



    " catering for the British preference for calibres to be designated in inches, Rigby called this chambering the .275 Rigby, after the measurement of a 7 mm rifle's bore across the lands.."


    European 7 mm cartridges have a 7.24 mm (0.285 in) groove diameter.

    American 7 mm cartridges have a 7.21 mm (0.284 in) groove diameter.

    .270 Win.?

    7.036 mm groove diameter.

    Which is closer to a true 7 mm?


    PS.

    "The 7×57 was also the favoured cartridge of Eleanor O'Connor.."
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,037 Senior Member
    My Machinery's Handbook shows the true diameter of 7mm as .2756, and a dia. of .2835 as 7.2mm.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,554 Senior Member
    The old snake is back!!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    The old snake is back!!!!

    He never left. Sometimes when I see you getting too comfy, I just have to wake you up!

    :yikes:.....:yikes:.....:yikes:

    :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Stuff like this is the reason why the aliens won't contact us................................

























    And a .270 Win. is a .30-06 that was picked before it was ripe! Green fruit will give you a bellyache! :rotflmao:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Stuff like this is the reason why the aliens won't contact us................................



    You speak for yourself.

    I have been contacted many times. (oh, don't worry, this will not hurt)...............:yikes:

    Although they were all asking for directions to south-east America.


    Go West my Alien mate...........PLEASE!!

    Do not thank me, it's fine.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Stuff like this is the reason why the aliens won't contact us................................





    And a .270 Win. is a .30-06 that was picked before it was ripe! Green fruit will give you a bellyache! :rotflmao:


    See there! if it weren't for guys like me that like to stir the pot now and then, you'd have aliens everywhere crappin' on the side walk!:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,886 Senior Member
    I think we can all agree that getting a .270 to reach a deer at 482 yds., and even more amazingly have the energy to penetrate its skin, expand the bullet, and reach the vital organs, is a monumental feat that should be lauded.
    I'm just here for snark.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement