Home Main Category General Firearms

Tell us about you AK's

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
Bought mine in 2002, its a Romanian SAR1. ATF banned them that year from import because they didn't meet their criteria for a sporting rifle. I gave a whooping $250 for it, added the Ultimak rail, Tromic charging handle which is pretty sweet, Tapco G2 trigger and Tapco furniture. The TRS25 is a nice addition that I recently put on. I haven't shot this rifle in several years but recently it has begun to call to me again. I think it's time to show her some daylight!

16CA9C1B-57F7-4BEE-933E-E94D290DE1EA_zpszsrpmvl5.jpg

So whatcha got? Tell me about your AK. Do you like it, just ok or just a resounding "Meh"?
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I got one. A guy I went to school with owed me money and was about ready to plead guilty to a felony, so he gave me his AK before it was illegal for him to own.

Meh. I own staple guns with better triggers. I will keep it around just because though.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    I've got a Norinco AK that I bought during the Klinton Gun Ban. It came without the flash hider/brake because Klinton said that made it dangerous and I couldn't have that. It has nasty trigger slap when you fire it, and the trigger pull is just gross as a bucket of guts. It could make a decent Zombie Pockycliplse gun, though. I can ugly them to death when I run out of ammo! Looking back on it, I think I bought it because Klinton/Gore didn't want me to have one, and I hated them both for being such bottom feeding scum sucking dirt bag stone cold wastes of protoplasm that were taking up air and space better used by somebodies with more than two anorexic brain cells between them.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    I owned a M-90 back in the early 90s.

Meh.

I carried one in Iraq and actually had 4 of them over there. Loved it.

Don't own one now.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I had a Norinco Hunter which while heavy was probably the most accurate AK I have experienced. It saw a few mods but I traded it after my build party for a Shernik bullpup which had been on my unobtanium wishlist for years. Now I have a Mac90 thumbhole set up for 3gun and an underfolder which work fine. My other underfolder is in the process of becoming a MG47 carbine. A friend makes these plates that mount under the grip that eliminate trigger slap and a little work makes the triggers quite acceptable for most purposes.I like how I can press and weld a receiver in just a few minutes. That said I really prefer the milled receivers because they have all seemed more accurate than the stamped ones. I still prefer the SKS in many ways because they are as reliable and more accurate.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I played with one on Iraq...............

[IMG][/img]e5f389f6-7e2e-4863-bcfe-fed613cd6e66_zpslfb6lkzf.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,249 Senior Member
    Got to love a weapon system where those who sleep through the maintenance portion of the introduction class are almost as well off as those who didn't.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    I owned a Waffen Werks '74 for awhile, and it was unreliable to say the least with surplus ammo. IMO, with AKs of known quality nearing $1000 in my local area, I'd rather have an AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    I turned down a Russian made (semi-auto) one just before I was retiring from the Army in the 90s a soldier was trying to sell me with 1000 rounds of 7.62X39 ammo fer 100 bucks!

No way at today's prices I would buy one.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    I have stayed in a Holiday Inn and own an SKS...............does that count :jester:
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I have stayed in a Holiday Inn and own an SKS...............does that count :jester:

Nothing wrong with the SKS I wn one, and an AK pistol I plan on SBR'ing soon.
    21341EE0-70A4-4AB7-903B-BBB756687209-14336-000011E802A2A6EF_zps6ddf25e7.jpg
    0825BC69-88D1-49B7-8645-24F3F9B1C961_zps8z7l34bu.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    I still contemplate getting an AK Pistol. For what, I don't know. Just because, I guess.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    I still contemplate getting an AK Pistol. For what, I don't know. Just because, I guess.

It is a lot of fun and works pretty good with a suppressor!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I own a few.

I have a Norinco Mak 90, a WASR10/63, and two Egyptian Maadi's.

I enjoy them for what they are, reliable field guns, not pretty, and reasonably accurate to 100 yards with the right ammo.

I think one of the benefits of the AK over the AR is its ability to have a folding stock, making a standard rifle an easier to carry CQB gun with more power than an AR ( not that I would ever do this ) .

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    I think I'd prefer a gas piston AR with a folding stock over an AK with a folding stock just on intrinsic accuracy alone. But an AK is sort of like the anvil of the firearms world. Takes a lot to make one stop running.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,142 Senior Member

Here is my AK Family.
    Top: Russian Saiga 12. I did the home shop conversion from the ATF import approved "Sporting Configuration" to have a Tapco G2 trigger, Ergo Grip, Tapco folding stock, Chaos Titan rail system, Bushnell TRS-25 Red dot, TAC-47 'Auto Plug' and a Mississippi Auto Arms "Flame" Break.

Middle: Home built AK Pistol off of a NoDak receiver. Ergo Grip, Strike Industried Rear Sight Rail, and a Primary Arms red dot.

Bottom: Romanian WASR. Ergo Grip (seeing a pattern here?), Cheap side mount scope rail, Burris Fast Fire dot.

I enjoy shooting AKs. I appreciate the design, the brutish simplicity, and I like the 7.62x39 round. The only thing I need now is a "Hunting" AK- PSL, Dragonov, or Vepr.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    That's a right good looking family there! :drool2:
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I own a WASR10 Underfolder and a Saiga .223 Carbine. Happy camper.
    horselips wrote: »
    I own a WASR10 Underfolder and a Saiga .223 Carbine. Happy camper.

I really would like to get an undefolder, just haven't connected with the right one yet.