Home Main Category Clubhouse

Flirting With Maddness!

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
So, for my...ahem...recent birthday - which officially puts me approaching, if not actually into "old-fart" territory, my children bought me a custom made 5 weight fly rod to replace my 20 year old WalMart buggy whip. This thing is a lovely work of art and feels very responsive. I've ordered a nice reel, line and leaders from Bass Pro and am waiting for the shipment to arrive.

When looking on the internet...I see something called "backing," and am wondering why I need it, what it's for and have I entered into a hobby that will consume me and if maybe I should just take up heroin?
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    You're doomed. Soon your entire den will be overcome by fly-tying gear and flat-drawer furniture in which to store them. You'll get all giggly when given an opportunity to show your latest creations to a guest. Worst of all, your guns will become an afterthought, overtaken by your nearly insane desire to create "the perfect fly."

Best to admit the problem now and send all your guns to me for safe keeping.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Yep, that is a good relaxing hobby fer you old farts :tooth: , albeit it can get expensive.

Are you a younger old fart like me at 61 or an old old fart?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,921 Senior Member
    "Backing" is a line that goes between the end of your fly line and the hub of your reel. It is used, for the most part, to fill your reel. However, if you hook a large fish it is capable of running off with all your fly line..."backing" keeps you connected when that occurs. The amount of backing varies....my steelhead rod has a large reel and two hundred yards of backing....my trout rods have smaller reels and about 100 yards of backing.... Word of Warning...if you are in the habit of running a fly line over your finger, when a strong fish takes you into your backing it can slash your finger to the bone.

Oh....congratulations on the new stick...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Yep, that is a good relaxing hobby fer you old farts :tooth: , albeit it can get expensive.

Are you a younger old fart like me at 61 or an old old fart?

Officially turned 60 in May.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    What Jayhawker said. You can use modern gel-spun braided fishing line like Spiderwire, Power Pro, and the like as a less expensive form of backing.
    Overkill is underrated.
    The only thing this rod will be used for is bluegill and bass - and maybe a trip to Colorado next Summer. Fish weight will be in the .5 to 3 pound category with most being less than a pound. So, I can't just tie the fly line onto the reel? I have to have backing? Reason I ask, is there's a new Gander Mountain about 8 miles from home.........

Congrats on that, I think I can categorize 60 as being "Too old to cut the mustard, but still able lick the jar"
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    For the fishing you'll be doing, backing would provide a benefit. By having enough backing to fill the reel, the fly line will not be as prone to take tight set coils at the bottom of the line. Not having those tight coils in the line makes long casts a lot easier.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    ....and have I entered into a hobby that will consume me and if maybe I should just take up heroin?

I have no experience with heroin addicts, but my experiences with bass fishermen lead me to believe that alcoholism might be a reasonable alternative. :tooth:

My SIL is a wonderful man and a good husband and father...but fishing opportunities often lead him into situations where he neglects promises made to lesser acquaintances (like fathers-in-law) and fishing adventures often destroy time-lines that he has given for other commitments.

It ain't a deal-breaker, but can be very annoying to people with 20th century personalities.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,740 Senior Member
    Backing is cheap, fly line can be expensive. Get the backing, cheapskate.

Fly fishing is a great hobby and doesn't have to be financially destructive, although it probably will be. The fly line you get at Academy Sports is made in Canada, and compared to the top US brands is pretty affordable and does just fine. It's not quite as long as the American lines, but it's about half the price. And it floats just fine.

The top-notch American lines are limper than the cheaper lines and won't curl on you as easily. You ought to get some tapered leaders while you're at Gander Mountain as well as some tippet.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene, what the eff is tippet and where do I put it...and don't say my butt!
    Gene, what the eff is tippet and where do I put it...and don't say my butt!

You need to have something to tie your fly to....your fly line is to big to go through the little hole on the hook....It goes on the end of your leader...I use braided leaders and carry a few spools of tippet material...(one of 8X just to show off)
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,891 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    You're doomed. Soon your entire den will be overcome by fly-tying gear and flat-drawer furniture in which to store them. You'll get all giggly when given an opportunity to show your latest creations to a guest. Worst of all, your guns will become an afterthought, overtaken by your nearly insane desire to create "the perfect fly."

Best to admit the problem now and send all your guns to me for safe keeping.

This is so very true. happened to an old hunting buddy who is now only a fishing buddy:tooth:

Sako
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Where do you attach the bobber?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    I suspect anyone carrying tapered leaders and tippet material of being closet fly fishermen and otherwise deviant individuals to be avoided at all costs! :jester: :tooth:

For bluegill and bass, a length of 6# or 8# monofilament is just fine. They aren't finicky girly fish like rainbow trout; if the fly you present looks like it will make a poop stick, they'll eat it.

Oh, and if you go fly fishing with me for panfish and I see anything with "Filson" on the label, then you can forget about getting in my boat. There are some perversions that I just won't tolerate. :rotflmao:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

18" to 2' from the lead shot sinker....sheesh, amateurs!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin

For fly fishing with a spinning outfit there are clear floats to which you attach your line at one end, and a leader 3/4 the length of the rod on the other, and attach a fly to the end of the leader. It's as effective as fishing a fly rod without all that whipping a fly line back and forth.

And just so you know, 'bobbers' are attached to wimmin's chests! :roll2:
    ― Douglas Adams

On a fly line, it's called a "strike indicator"....Geez....friggin amateurs
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    Aren't rods and reels for people who haven't discovered explosives?:uhm:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Can't wait until we start talking about different tapers and floating vs sinking lines.....it will be almost like a fly fishing forum....
    Can't you catch bigger fish with a regular Rod n Reel and do it much easier?

FF is about one step above a cane pole, I think. :popcorn::popcorn:
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member

Haw! Just a slack-jawed kid!

And yeah, you're doomed. I know a couple of fly fishermen and they are beyond help or counseling or support groups.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    FF is about one step above a cane pole, I think. :popcorn::popcorn:

Yeah....a ten pound steelhead on an 8 wt will change your mind about that....
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Can't wait until we start talking about different tapers and floating vs sinking lines.....it will be almost like a fly fishing forum....

(Sigh)
    I use a 5 wt. (HEH) floating double taper on my light bluegill rod
    I use a 7 wt.(HCH) floating double taper on my bluegill and bass rod
    I use a 9 wt. (GAG) floating double taper on my saltwater rod
    I also have a spare reel for the 7 wt. rod loaded with 7 wt. line with no taper just because
    I refuse to use sinking lines, period. The fish can either come up and get 'dinner' or go hungry.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Actually, I did buy one of those cheesy $60 fly fishing outfits last summer. I got to flog the water with it for a couple of hours and started making what I thought were decent casts. I will give it a shot again this summer. It seems like fun.
    -Thomas Paine
    tennmike wrote: »
    (Sigh)
    I use a 5 wt. (HEH) floating double taper on my light bluegill rod
    I use a 7 wt.(HCH) floating double taper on my bluegill and bass rod
    I use a 9 wt. (GAG) floating double taper on my saltwater rod
    I also have a spare reel for the 7 wt. rod loaded with 7 wt. line with no taper just because
    I refuse to use sinking lines, period. The fish can either come up and get 'dinner' or go hungry.

Wind can be an issue where I fish, I use Rocket Tapers on all my rods....
    Actually, I did buy one of those cheesy $60 fly fishing outfits last summer. I got to flog the water with it for a couple of hours and started making what I thought were decent casts. I will give it a shot again this summer. It seems like fun.
    Once I get the boat set up, you need to come over (and up) for a float trip on the Muskegon....
    Once I get the boat set up, you need to come over (and up) for a float trip on the Muskegon....
    :up:
    -Thomas Paine
    Wind can be an issue where I fish, I use Rocket Tapers on all my rods....

If I have to cast more than 30 feet, I move the boat closer. :roll2: And if it's windy I switch to an ultralight spinning rod and one of those tiny clear floats, and the wind is no longer a problem. :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams