Home Main Category General Firearms

Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 AO --- Range Report

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,988 Senior Member
Took the Ruger 10/22 to the range today in order to sight in the new scope and let my boy shoot some rounds.

VORTEX%20Crossfire%20II%2012_zpsn7dubcuq.jpg

I was hoping that the reticle would ease transition from 25-100 yards. The clarity is very good for a sub $200 scope. The AO seems fairly accurate for the yardage demarcations and proved to be exceptionally handy for a .22 lr and multiple ranges.

The turrets are finger adjustable with positive clicks and resettable to zero after sight in.

10-22%20amp%20Vortex%20Range%20Report%205-30-15%206_zpshs1np2n4.jpg

After getting it zeroed at 25 yards, I moved the target to 50 yards. Then 75.........and finally 100 yards.

10-22%20amp%20Vortex%20Range%20Report%205-30-15%203_zpsrnxa3rbl.jpg

Accuracy was acceptable for non match ammo. As I got to 75 yards, a storm that had been moving in finally hit and the wind became rather fierce. Pushing the rounds left. I did not hold for wind as I wasn't worried about my windage. I wanted to see if the ballistic reticle lined up acceptably for my drops. As it turned out........the reticle is absolutely PERFECT!!!!

10-22%20amp%20Vortex%20Range%20Report%205-30-15%205_zpsmp7lsceb.jpg

Running down to get the target, I quickly let my boy get off a few mags shooting a can at 25 yards before the bottom fell out and the rain came down.

10-22%20amp%20Vortex%20Range%20Report%205-30-15%201_zpsc3ayy5id.jpg

He seems to be enjoying a semi-auto after so many years with a single shot bolt gun. He made quick work of two mags and thoroughly killed the can on the berm.

The rain dumped and we headed for home.

I'm pleased with the scope for its use on the Ruger. The power range, reticle, turrets, clarity, and AO all work well for a .22 lr . My only complaint is that the eye relief for parallax is hyper critical. At 12x, anything but dead center in the scope bleeds into a white washout. Not a dark shadow as normally experienced. But, a white ploom. Somewhat annoying, I didn't notice it yesterday in the bright sunlight, but it seemed to come to surface in the subdued light of the overcast afternoon. Not something I experienced with the lower power settings. Just at max power.

Anyway, it's on a .22 and I'm happy. We're it on a serious hunting /working rig, I'd be a little pissed. As it is, I'm not.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Cold
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,988 Senior Member
    I was planning on letting him do a lot more shooting. To include 100 yards. But, the storm cut us short.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Cold

This gun doesn't meet your stipulations. It's a build with aftermarket parts.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    My opinion of Vortex optics increases the more I see of them...

Good job with the young one Dad....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I like it, good looking setup and a shooter too!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    This gun doesn't meet your stipulations. It's a build with aftermarket parts.

If Jerm was there fer a comfy butt-rest I'll bet cpj could have did pretty good with that rig too :tooth:

Nice shootin :up::up::up:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    My opinion of Vortex optics increases the more I see of them...

Good job with the young one Dad....

+1 on both accounts.

I have three Vortex scopes now, I'm pleased. Especially with the features/quality/cost ratio. The other nice thing about Vortex, they go on sale.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    That's actually pretty neat. . .

Scratching my head a little, I think I'd like to see more reticles like that - as in, optimized for the flight paths of the more rainbow-trajectory rounds. Some of us (guilty) mil-dot our primary hunting rifles - mainly because we can - but the truth is that most of the small-bore cartridges of the .30-06 and hotter families are pretty much point and click for close to 300 yards on deer, and we kill most of our deer a lot closer than that.

Having the hash marks optimized for the "woods gun" rounds like .30-30, .35 Remington, and .45-70, and maybe the revolver caliber carbines would help us do with finesse what the faster rounds give us through brute force.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I'm so glad it has hash marks instead of the dots shown on the product description or Nikons STUPID circles. Those circles are about the DUMBEST thing I've ever seen for a precision aiming point. If crosshairs work in the middle, why not on the rest of the reticle.

I learned LR shooting with mils but am quit glad we finally woke up and went to lines for demarcation.

It it would be interesting to see how the BDC reticle on this scope lined up for other cartridges.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,093 Senior Member

It it would be interesting to see how the BDC reticle on this scope lined up for other cartridges.
    I'm willing to bet you can find a load for most cartridges that will be pretty darned close.
    With my Burris Ballisti-plex, I found that sighting in 0.75" high @ 100 gave me a near perfect match to 510 using the 208 AMax in my '06 (and a near book max load)

edited to add: confirmed at distance
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I was in a hurry due to the impending storm, but I'd like to see what the lines subtend to at 100 yards and consequently, further.

I'll have to measure.
    At the range, mine worked out to POI within ~1-2" of POA
    Not perfect, but considering my '06 is strictly a hunting rifle, it's well within "minute of Bambi"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Also, I imagine that's a SFP scope, so you could "zero" the reticle to more closely match the load by adjusting the magnification. Then just put a "dot" on the zoom ring to know that "here, it matches my load"

That is true.
    You're welcome :beer:
    :tooth:

I won't be using this scope on any other rifle in the foreseeable future. Just curious as to what the subtends are.
    Here's what Votex says it is

Well.......there ya go. Made my life easy again. Keep it up and I'll have to stop working for a living!

:wink:
    Hey, check this out, drag the red dot on the stick figure head or the on the base of the flagpole and it shows the angles.

http://www.mathopenref.com/subtend.html
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    I ain't pretending I understand Subtends/optics, but it entertained me until I got bored dragging the red dot back and forth for maybe 30 times :conehead::conehead:
    Takes very little to entertain a child.

:-)
    Takes very little to entertain a child.

:-)

Cool wasn't it :tooth:
    I'm easily bored. Twice was good enough for me.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    I gotta ask something because I have looked at Vortex repeatedly but passed as a result of something I keep catching when I look through their glass: do you notice a fine, white haze under any circumstances? Compared to many of the other optics brands out there, I notice a slight, whitish hint in Vortex glass that drives me mildly insane. I want to know if it's just me.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I gotta ask something because I have looked at Vortex repeatedly but passed as a result of something I keep catching when I look through their glass: do you notice a fine, white haze under any circumstances? Compared to many of the other optics brands out there, I notice a slight, whitish hint in Vortex glass that drives me mildly insane. I want to know if it's just me.

Hold yer breath silly :jester:

I've looked through some scopes that had a sorta Milky look to them, Amy be the same thing.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Hold yer breath silly :jester:

I've looked through some scopes that had a sorta Milky look to them, Amy be the same thing.

Yep, that's an even better description: milky. That's what I am talking about. It's subtle, but it's there to my eye.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Here's what Votex says it is

I must say that having the BDC is a wonderful feature. If you take the time to learn all of those dimensions you can also calculate range etc. I will stick with Mil Dots just because it would be too much like work to learn another system.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    Six-Gun wrote: »

That is the critical eye relief parallax I referred to in the OP. If you are not PERFECTLY centered in the scope you get the white ploom you referred to.
  • Shooter13Shooter13 Member Posts: 125 Member
    Thanks for the review, I just ordered a Vortex Crossfire ll 2-7x32 for my 223/556 I'm hoping it does well.. I am comfortable with Vortex and like their lifetime warranty. I have a Nikon p223 on my AR but very limited warranty I think a year, and after that your on your own..

What rings are you using? Low?
    Shooter13 wrote: »
    What rings are you using? Low?

Leupold Rifleman Rings. Cause I had'em.