Home Main Category General Firearms

A boy and a Single Six.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,983 Senior Member
When I was a wee lad............err........when I was young, my father gave me a Ruger Single Six as my first handgun. To this day, it's the only surviving gun from my youth. All the others were stolen in my teens.

I started my boy shooting handguns and rifles when he was 4. I skipped the BB Gun thing and went straight to .22lr in both platforms. These days, he's up to .243 Winchester in a rifle, but we stick to .22lr as to handguns.

Yesterday, we had fun shooting the 10/22 at the range. Today though, he asked if he could shoot a Sixgun. Well, we aim to please. So, out came the Single Six.

He'd tried it once before when he was 4 years old at about 10 yards. But, he didn't really get the open sight concept at that age. Today..........was another story.

I set a cup at 25 yards, explained the usage of iron sights, set the gun on the rest, and let him have at it.

Boy%20and%20the%20Single%20Six%205-31-15%2013_zpszkfgiv2q.jpg

Boy%20and%20the%20Single%20Six%205-31-15%205_zps1uf9twfq.jpg

With his first cylinder..............he hit the cup at 25 yards 5 out of 6 times.

Boy%20and%20the%20Single%20Six%205-31-15%208_zpsbdeagizo.jpg

We then filled some bottles and cups up with water and he enjoyed destroying them one after the other.

I'm kinda proud of my boy.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Pretty awesome Zee. Especially awesome that it is your first handgun.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    That's darn fine shooting, you are a lucky man!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Pretty awesome Zee. Especially awesome that it is your first handgun.
    I agree and we Can tell Zee is still a young one as it's not a 3 screw.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    That's awesome for both of you! Another priceless moment brought to you by Ruger!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Outstanding!!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,090 Senior Member
    :applause:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I enjoyed teaching my kids on guns that belonged to their great and great great grandparents that I also learned on. Mine all learned on irons before I would let them near optics. You learn real marksmanship with irons especially at varying distances. Kentucky windage is nearly a lost art. Once they had a handle on that I let them use optics. Bolt and single actions are great for teaching the fundamentals. The best times are those when they are young and you can still teach them and they appreciate all of it. Once they are teenagers it's too late. Crap my son passed up the Gatling and a selection of beltfeds and full autos to go skateboarding. I guess when you can shoot a Barrett at 10 along with most full autos you can get bored. My youngest daughter is13 and I can still enjoy range time with her. Of course she was shooting an open bolt UZI at 7. Her favorites at this point are my LCP and Mossberg 835. Once my son could keep all shots in a 6" circle at 50yds with irons it was time to take him hunting. Here he is at 9 with his 8 pointer. Enjoy it while you can cause they grow up fast.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,574 Senior Member
    Well done.
    Nothing better than kids and .22's, your son seems to be a chip off the block.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    :up::up:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Hmmm ... A Boy and His Gun - Part II ... excellent family heirloom sorry about the others.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Good shooting!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,906 Senior Member
    Very Kool
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Those are some beautiful results with open sights for your young man. Very fine shooting!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Tell him nice shooting, my sons ALWAYS want the single-six on the range trip.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    That model looks like it was made in the 80s! I was expecting something with a little age to it! Ain't nuthin in the world like a kid and a .22lr.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,467 Senior Member
    You both will remember this for awhile-Excellent.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,917 Senior Member
    Nicely done.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    Nice pics

I see your son doesn't have a face either :jester:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Mighty fine shootin'!!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Way to go, both of you!:applause:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 810 Senior Member
    Nice job.

You a wee lad? You mean that you were scrawny-er?
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,983 Senior Member
    Thanks guys. We had a good time.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    Very nice!! :up:
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    Very cool! Your story brought back memories of when I was a kid. I shot my BIL's. I swore then I would own one. I do. Thanks for the memories.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: