Home Main Category General Firearms

New scope on an AR.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,976 Senior Member
Did some scope swapping this weekend. Took the Leupold 10x M3a off my 10/22 and replaced it with the Vortex. Then, I moved the Leupold to my 16" heavy barrel AR. Removing the Trijicon TA-55.

10x%20Leupold%20Zero%205-31-15%203_zpsop2qg9pf.jpg

Took the AR to the range today as we were rained out yesterday. My "hope" was that it would like the 64gr Winchester PowerPoint ammo I seem to have a plethora of.

Well, those dreams were dashed rather quickly as the gun apparently disliked that ammo. Fooooooortunately.........I'd brought along some 64gr Speer Gold Dot to try as well. That saved the day as the rifle MUCH preferred that round.

10x%20Leupold%20Zero%205-31-15%205_zpsbxuhd3ic.jpg

So, I'm a happy camper. The rifle is a happy camper. All is well.

Now...........I gotta decide what to put the Trijicon on............
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That looks good Zee. Why don't you just pack the Trijicon up and send it to me. I promise to give it a good home.

What fore end is that?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    I'll take the Winchester ammo off your hands...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,976 Senior Member
    It's a Troy Ultra Light.
    I'll take the Winchester ammo off your hands...

I gots other guns.........
    Why don't you just pack the Trijicon up and send it to me. I promise to give it a good home.

See above.........

;-)
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I am looking at the Nikons. They seem to have the AR thing pretty sorted out especially with the BDC recticles. An accurate focus knob can give you the range and all you need to do is dope for wind.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    The Nikon BDC reticle sucks donkey balls.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

This.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I tried a couple different one but since I rarely use factory loads (and even when I did try it) they were off. I can deal with a mil dot easier and have taken a liking to the EBR-1 type offered by Vortex lately.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    I tried a couple different one but since I rarely use factory loads (and even when I did try it) they were off. I can deal with a mil dot easier and have taken a liking to the EBR-1 type offered by Vortex lately.

Reasonably priced Burris offerings offer the same reticle design too.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    NCFUBAR wrote: »

I guess mil dots and dope charts have gotten me this far.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    I guess mil dots and dope charts have gotten me this far.

The EBR-1 has 1/2 mil hash marks. It's in the reticle for my Vortex HST. It's very usable and not too busy.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Took the AR to the range today as we were rained out yesterday. My "hope" was that it would like the 64gr Winchester PowerPoint ammo I seem to have a plethora of.

Well, those dreams were dashed rather quickly as the gun apparently disliked that ammo. Fooooooortunately.........I'd brought along some 64gr Speer Gold Dot to try as well. That saved the day as the rifle MUCH preferred that round.
    Is there any factor other than bullet design that you could point to as a reason for the disparity between the performances of the two rounds?
    That much of a difference is really interesting.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member

Why? I know they only work at full magnification, is that why?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Is there any factor other than bullet design that you could point to as a reason for the disparity between the performances of the two rounds?
    That much of a difference is really interesting.

Don't have an explanation. I know that the Power Point group you see above is the best one of the three I fired. First one, I thought I was having a bad day. Second one, I thought I was having a really bad day. On the third one, I concentrated reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaalllly hard and got the above group.

Figuring it it couldn't get any worse, I tried the Gold Dot. The above is the one and only Gold Dot group I fired. Either I finally pulled my head out of my butt, or the rifle likes one and not the other.

Consequently, the rifle has generally always shot the Gold Dot into sub MOA groups that I recall.
    cpj wrote: »
    Not precise enough (for me) for target work. They would be ok for hunting, but even still I'd prefer dots or lines.

I I wouldn't even like them for hunting.
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Why? I know they only work at full magnification, is that why?

All BDC type reticles (that I am aware of)only work one power setting. That is not my problem with them. I simply cannot wrap my head around using the circle.

I have a Prostaff with that reticle. I have not read enough yet to figure out how the aiming circle subtends.

Lets say that circle is 8" at 200 yards.
    So my bullet is going to hit somewhere in the shoulder? No I want a DISTINCT aiming point.

Just my opinion.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Definitely need a first focal plane recticle that way it works at all magnifications.