Home Main Category Clubhouse

GRE Prep Class?

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,733 Senior Member
For those of you who have pursued a Master's degree, is a GRE prep course worth the cost?

I want to start a Master's Degree in a health related field next year. My educational background is in Telecommunications, and my professional education is Aviation and Management related. As such, I am entering into a completely new realm. Would a prep course benefit me?

If it matters, I've been out of college for 3 years.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    My Masters didn't require a GRE (Information Systems Management), so it may depend on the school or the program.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Generally, a Master's is very beneficial to a career. It is a significant step upward, especially in technical or engineering or scientific fields. less in the liberal arts stuff like sociology.

I was about halfway to my MS in chemistry and then had a grave family emergency, had to pull out of the school, and never went back. But yes, an MS is excellent and worth the time and expenses, particularly any "hard" science or engineering area.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    At your age and station in life I would urge you to get your Masters. When I was where you are now, 50+ years ago, a Masters wasn't nearly as necessary, but it is highly desirable now! And you've got what it takes. Go get it!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    I had to take the GRE for my Master's. I took it my last semester of college before I graduated. Mind you, I took in 1997, and was able to take the general subject test. So my advice may be a bit dated. As to whether or not to take the prep course, it really depends on which GRE you'd need to take and how competent you feel about it.

If you handle standardized tests well and can take a generalized test, I might not take one. At least not at first. I think you can take multiple tests.

I'd take one if it was subject-specific or if you don't take tests well. Most likely I'd take the course if you were taking the subject test. Your coursework and background is more peripheral to the new subject, so that will put you at a disadvantage. As fora as who to take the course from, I can't help you.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,730 Senior Member
    Yes, I'd say it's worth it. My math skills are way down, and I learned a lot about the math stuff they test on GRE. There are formulas to figure out the answers without doing a lot of pencil work.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Start with determining where you want to go to school, and ask what they prefer for incoming student requirements. The GRE might be it, it also might be the GMAT ( I had to take the GMAT ).

You will find your life skills have put you way ahead of your school studies. The prep test is worth it if your preferred school is picky about who they let in. Some Masters programs give preference to experienced candidates, and military.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Sorry, I misread your original post. You were asking about a GRE prep and taking the GRE vs actually going for an MS.

It's been so long ago that I don't actually remember taking a GRE but I must have, or some similar exam or entry test before I was admitted to the MS program. Distant past and faded now.

As woods said, nowadays an MS is far more valuable than years previous. It usually means a bigger paycheck and entrance to supervisory job levels, too. So whatever helps you toward that MS, go for it, including a GRE prep course, just in case. You'll recover the investment money quickly.
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 810 Senior Member
    The GRE wasn't a requirement for my Masters program. It all depends on the school that you want to attend. Of course I went to an online for-profit school. My MBA definitely helped my career.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,386 Senior Member
    This is my take on the GRE prep class.

I have a BSME. Was looking into a masters but put more homework into what, if any, benefits it would bring me. I know a PE would be more beneficial but it would depend on where i decide to work.

For me and how I'm wired, test taking is a royal PIA. I struggled with it all through my high school and college so i opted to not go for a Masters and work for a while. Still working too so you know where that Masters sits in my "to do" list. Since the GRE is nothing but a test, i personally would do any "prep" classes just to help me and get me back into the groove of taking them again.

If you plan on going to one of your local colleges for your masters, i would check in whatever department you are planning on your masters and see what type of GRE prep classes they offer. Some will be run by the same instructors you may see if/when you go for your masters so i see it as an opportunity to meet your instructors now than later.

This is another thing about paying for the class. For me and my lack of motivation in some things, if i "paid" for something, it would give me the extra "kick in the pants" to attend the classes and to do more studying. But thats just me.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Rimfire wrote: »
    The GRE wasn't a requirement for my Masters program. It all depends on the school that you want to attend. Of course I went to an online for-profit school. My MBA definitely helped my career.

Again, are we related somehow??
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 810 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Again, are we related somehow??

Do you hear banjos? I think pa's or Uncle Ricky is callin'
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.