Vortex scopes

WORLD TWORLD T MemberPosts: 262 Member
What is the deal with these scopes? What do they compare to? Nikon, Leupold??????

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    WORLD T wrote: »
    What is the deal with these scopes? What do they compare to? Nikon, Leupold??????

Well they tell me the Vortex Viper is a fine scope. I have a Vortex Diamondback that leaves a little to be desired. It is pretty bright at low light, but it has very little eye relief and it's not real sharp. But I guess you get what you pay for.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    We were just discussing Vortex in the General Forum. Their Viper line looks well built, but there is a white effect to their glass/subtle milky appearance that drives me a bit crazy. It's not overwhelming, but it's...there.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    I got a Viper on my .338 RUM. From what I have seen trough it so far-- not bad at all! Farmboy and a couple of other members got to check it out at the SE Shoot just a bit ago. Probably not quite as good as my Sightron SIII's, but the Viper is a premium scope.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    We were just discussing Vortex in the General Forum. Their Viper line looks well built, but there is a white effect to their glass/subtle milky appearance that drives me a bit crazy. It's not overwhelming, but it's...there.
    I can't remember if you shot mine or not. If you did, that "milky" was a Tannerite haze that was down range during that time.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I can't remember if you shot mine or not. If you did, that "milky" was a Tannerite haze that was down range during that time.

With the Tannerite smoke and glare from the evening sun it was tough to get a great sight picture through any scope. That being said the little bit I looked through the Vortex Viper on Jerm's cripple and kill, I liked it. It was at least as clear as my Leupold VX-2 and probably a bit better than my Nikon Buckmaster that I had there.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Jermanator wrote: »

This one I'm referring to was not yours, but a store sample Vortex that I held up side-by-side with a Nikon. I can't remember the specific version, zoom range or other specs on it. Zee pointed out to me that he noticed it in his latest scope when it wasn't held perfectly centered to his eye. I'm going to do another demo when I get back to a shop that carries them.
    This one I'm referring to was not yours, but a store sample that I held up side-by-side with a Nikon. I can't remember the specific version, zoom range or other specs on it. Zee pointed out to me that he noticed it in his latest scope when it wasn't held perfectly centered to his eye. I'm going to do another demo when I get back to a shop that carries them.

Ain't no hazes in a Nikon, at least not in the 4 I have. And that also goes without saying for a Leupold, even my cheaper VX-1s.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Ain't no hazes in a Nikon, at least not in the 4 I have. And that also goes without saying for a Leupold, even my cheaper VX-1s.

The Nikon I looked through was crystal clear at all aspects. It was the Vortex was giving me fits inside of the store. I actually asked about it in Zee's thread to make sure that I'm not going crazy, blind or both.
    The Nikon I looked through was crystal clear at all aspects. It was the Vortex was giving me fits inside of the store. I actually asked about it in Zee's thread to make sure that I'm not going crazy, blind or both.

Like I said, I don't have a Viper and it's probably a much better scope, but the Diamondback doesn't really turn my crank. I bought it when Optic's Planet didn't have a Prostaff 4-12x40 in stock and this Diamondback was on sale for the same price the Nikon had been a couple weeks before. I wish I'd have snapped up a 4-12x40 Prostaff when they had them in stock.