Home Main Category Personal Defense

How To Win A Gunfight. Short FBI Training Film. Very Good.

N320AWN320AW Senior MemberPosts: 648 Senior Member
Although this is from the 1970's I thought it was excellent and informative. Hope you will enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERs7VyRMETg

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »
    Although this is from the 1970's I thought it was excellent and informative. Hope you will enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERs7VyRMETg

How to Win a Gun Fight? In the words of Nathan B. Forest, "Be their fustist with the mostist." In other words Be ready!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Good video. Thanks.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Good Video, some things never change. I would like one of those Plymouth Satellites with a 440 so I could get to the gun fight faster. :guns: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,389 Senior Member
    Point shooting, hip fire with shotguns, and SIDEBURNS. . .what were they thinking???:silly:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Love the retro but still a good basic film, thanks.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Nice vintage S&W K frame revolvers, the later model 10 series with the heavy pinned barrels were as good as a revolver gets.... once that trigger works in glass smooth, I miss how natural pointing and accurate they were....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Today if most folks had the skills displayed in that video they would be leaps and bounds ahead of most.

Don't know the ratio of cops staying alive back in the day with now, but I reckon they held their own.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I do know this much, a worked on S&W - M10, heavy barrel with a glass smooth trigger, is very accurate, I could place fast shots with boring precision, some folks carried a brace of them, speed loaders etc..... Staying alive, training & good equipment go well together...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Today if most folks had the skills displayed in that video they would be leaps and bounds ahead of most.

Don't know the ratio of cops staying alive back in the day with now, but I reckon they held their own.

Yep. I grew up in and before that era. I don't remember many cops being shot in those days. For one thing the bad guys didn't have such an assortment of weapons as now, and law enforcement officers were much more respected than in these days. SAD.
    N320AW wrote: »
    Yep. I grew up in and before that era. I don't remember many cops being shot in those days. For one thing the bad guys didn't have such an assortment of weapons as now, and law enforcement officers were much more respected than in these days. SAD.

Dunno, Barney & Clyde ? Dillinger, and co of bank robbers, Al Capones men etc... They were before that era and did not respect LE, the list is very long...
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Dunno, Barney & Clyde ? Dillinger, and co of bank robbers, Al Capones men etc... They were before that era and did not respect LE, the list is very long...

I'm speaking of the average citizen of course. Dillinger? My grandparents and parents are buried 50 feet from Melvyn Purvis's grave, along with his son Christy, who I was a friend of in high school. That doesn't matter, but the highlights of various notorious characters does not meld into day to day law enforcement.
    It does in large metropolitan cities like NYC, Jim Cirrilo of the stake out squad would tell you as much, so would Officer Serpico, of the Knapp commission ....
    They were both from that era.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Interesting video. Some good points. We've come a loooong way...

Have we really ? sometimes I wonder....=
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Sure we have, at least for SD shooting technique. Other topics, well maybe not so much...

Please do not think Ill of me, but sometimes I really wonder if anything has really changed that much since the introduction of the modern S&W revolver and the 1911 pattern sidearm, and later, the BPH.....
    It seemed, to me anyway, no amount of training could have ever prepared me for my first defensive encounter....a baptism by fire as it were.....
    Sigh, yes, you are correct, surprisingly the FEDs helped modernize Police training and ranges in NYS, esp the NYCPD range at Rodmans neck......
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    It is a different world in so many ways, and just the same in so many other ways. Most of those guys did a good job with the tools and training they had, against the kinds of threats they normally faced, and the ones who stuck around mostly evolved with the changing threats. I can't believe that the majority of old-timers would have refused hi-cap semi-autos, if they were facing the kinds of threats that modern police face.
    But they did !!!
    Police Brass did in any case.

The 1911 was introduced in my Grandfather's time, yet the S&W M-10 in .38 special and other Revolvers were the only approved sidearm for NYS and NYC Police agencies, , until the great transition to self loading or semiautomatic sidearms, Glock being the primary winner, even though exceptions were made for individual Officers that either were close enough to retirement, or Grandfathered as far as (BETA) model testing during the transition.... Perhaps the best example of LE resistance to change was never more apparent with the introduction of the BHP, a most modern design...

And during the transition, many Police departments would not approve HP ammo, sticking to ball ammo only, until the case was made that HP ammo was less likely to ricochet than ball ammo, truth is, they wanted better ballistics, the ricochet danger merely achieved the desired end result.
    I was a fly on the wall in those days, Revolvers ruled the roost, most rank & file LEOs were NOT gun folks, they were weaned on Police academy pablum to distrust autoloaders as unreliable, likely to jam etc... even by then S&W had introduced a very successful & ultrareliable line of selfloading Police sidearms.

This resistance to change came to an end in NYS and NYC Police agencies when the media was able to convince the rank & file LEO that Assault Rifle wielding criminals had LE outgunned, when in reality, this was never the case.

Funny factoid, was that after Glock received the LE contract, the Glock was not allowed to NYC permit holders until somebody let it out that civilian employee Police Commissioner Benjamin Ward had a Glock (19?) on his civilian permit, Dean Spier was instrumental in the rescinding of that "administrative rule".

I helped shoot down the no short barreled handguns on target permits rule..... Lol...
    I gave plausible need to have short barreled handguns as necesary practice in addition to the handguns on a restricted carry permit, I successfully had gotten various snubbies approved on a target permit, also pointing out that the Dan Wesson Revolver with its various interchangeable barrel lengths made it all quite moot, that administrative rule was TOAST by then anyway..

It was an uphill battle all the way, however, I never felt outgunned carrying a brace of S&W M-10 Revolvers...
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    My '70's era Model 10 is the sweetest shooting revolver I have. My wife has been to the shooting range with me exactly once, in nearly 42 years of marriage, and I had her shooting it very well within fifteen minutes. It was probably a mistake, because she found it so easy to operate that she doesn't feel the need to practice. :bang: