If I EVER.............................

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,851 Senior Member
I've read a lot of you guys posts about your trips to Africa. Most of you seem to go for the plains game. If I ever go to Africa, I want the full Enchilada! I want to go and get me at least one of the Big Five. And if I go I want a rifle that I know is going to do the job. I'm thinking one that I've read a lot about and fantasized about owning. One that takes no prisoners. The 460 Weatherby, with the 500 grain solid, it packs a whopping 8000 foot pounds of muzzle Energy and pushes that slug along at about 400 or so FPS faster than a hot loaded .458 Winchester. If I got one it would have a big ol' brake on it and a nice recoil pad. I hate abusive Recoil, and I want the ultimate power without the ultimate Pain. If you're beside me at the range I would recommend maximum hearing protection and maybe a blast shield between us. Because anybody dumb enough to sit next to something like that with a brake without taking precautions, well they would deserve to have their hat blown off and go deaf,

:bang:.....:bang:.....:bang:.....:silly:.....:tooth:

Now, do any of you have any fantasies about such a trip? And if so, what will you take?
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,577 Senior Member
    In first with .270 reference! :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    In first with .270 reference! :tooth:

Well of course, if I went to africa, the .270 would tag along, you know maybe as backup. Can't be too careful, if a big animal is charging and the big Weatherby didn't do the job, I would take solace in knowing the .270 would get the job done, of course.......:head:

:tooth:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,050 Senior Member
    Knew a guy that hunted coyotes with a .460 Weatherby....seriously! Loaded it with the lightest bullets he could find and had them bullets just smoking along. Factory ammo for that beast was running about $100.00 a box. That experiment behind him, he eventually sold the thing and embarked in another direction....

As for me, I've got what I need for Africa....my .45-70s will do all the killin I need to get done up to and including Cape Buffalo....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,520 Senior Member
    If you want the biggest and badest go for the .475 A&M Mag. , 460 case necked up to .475 , 500gr @ 2980fps & 600gr @ 2500fps.
    Personally if I had the chance and money, I'd go classic with a SxS in .416 Rigby or .450 Nitro.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    If you do go to Africa, will you please take Rachel Dolezal with you so she can discover her roots? Oh wait, her roots are blonde. Never mind.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • NJSOGNJSOG Member Posts: 101 Member
    Most countries in Africa will only let you import 1 gun, so forget about bringing a backup.
    45-70 works, but I'll bring a
    .375 H&H. There isn't anything walking the planet it won't kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NJSOG wrote: »
    Most countries in Africa will only let you import 1 gun, so forget about bringing a backup.

Maybe so, but I want a 460 Weatherby and Africa would be a great excuse to get one. So Bring on the cape buffalo!!! Bye the way how do they taste BBQed?
    jaywapti wrote: »
    If you want the biggest and badest go for the .475 A&M Mag. , 460 case necked up to .475 , 500gr @ 2980fps & 600gr @ 2500fps.
    Personally if I had the chance and money, I'd go classic with a SxS in .416 Rigby or .450 Nitro.

JAY

Damn Jay! Now THAT could be construed as overkill on the shooter's end if not the game's. That should line your shoulder joint up! WOW! Like a 600 Nitro on Steroids!!!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,611 Senior Member
    I will never hunt Africa. Not that I don't want to, but I'm a realist. I ain't putting down that kind of cash.

If'n I did though, I already have a .375 Ruger, .404 Jeffery, and .458 Win Mag that could handle the larger fauna. And any number of cartridges to handle plains game.

But, I'd probably have to go with the Jeffery for the bigger stuff. I just love that gun and cartridge. Besides, it works great on deer too.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    If you do go to Africa, will you please take Rachel Dolezal with you so she can discover her roots? Oh wait, her roots are blonde. Never mind.

Man, I'm not takin' her anywhere, LOL!!! But I do love her getting busted. What the hell's that woman trying to prove?
  • NJSOGNJSOG Member Posts: 101 Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Maybe so, but I want a 460 Weatherby and Africa would be a great excuse to get one. So Bring on the cape buffalo!!! Bye the way how do they taste BBQed?

That hurts my shoulder just thinking about shooting it, but I would like any caliber double rifle.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,728 Senior Member

I am in your corner. 1955 Winchester model 70 in 375 H&H. If I cant kill it with that I aint hunting it............( I will leave the 222 at home :tooth:)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,038 Senior Member
    EGAD SNAKE! .270's, strap-top Weaver scope rings, and now Weatherby magnums? What kind of drugs were your parents ON???:drool:

I've got the CZ Rigby already - some days the gun shop planets align and you can call dibs on a show sample.

If my 'smith ever digs himself out, we're going to build a .375 H&H on a P17 action I've got in the safe - I like the way the bolt cams and prefer the original cock-on-close for that kind of gun. It'll get a Wiebe fishbelly floorplate that will get me 5 or even 6+1. Barrel-mounted multi-leaf sights. Tap the receiver for Remington 700 bases on 8-40's. Send it off to be custom-stocked in a chunk of Turkish walnut so dense it probably wouldn't even float. Feed it 270-300 grain gas-checked LBT LFN's and be ready for anything that's ever walked.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Zee wrote: »
    I already have a . . .404 Jeffery. . . I just love that gun and cartridge. . .

For the record, I have been here since roughly 2003. In that time, I have issued a congratulatory "YOU SUCK" exactly ONCE. Guess which gun it was for?
    WWJMBD?

• wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...me & Teddy, a Model 1895 in .405 Winchester...:tooth::devil:

winchester_1895_safaricustom.jpg
    Bigslug wrote: »
    For the record, I have been here since roughly 2003. In that time, I have issued a congratulatory "YOU SUCK" exactly ONCE. Guess which gun it was for?

Awwwwww.....

:tissue:
    Zee wrote: »
    Awwwwww.....

:tissue:

There, there, little man. It's OK. You still suck.:tooth:
    WWJMBD?

• N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »

JAY

The 475 A&M magnum was developed by the the A&M gun shop in Prescott Arizona. As said, it was the 460 Weatherby necked up to 475 caliber. It developed about 10,000 ft/pds of muzzle energy. Quite a cartridge for sure.

Paul Marquardt, who developed the round, demonstrated the rifle for several on-lookers from the sitting position. He fired at a small tree. After the shot, which has been said to have pushed him backwards about 2 feet, he said, "Anyone want to buy a rifle.? :yikes:

Nuff said
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...me & Teddy, a Model 1895 in .405 Winchester...:tooth::devil:

winchester_1895_safaricustom.jpg

The 405 was quite the cannon back in Teddy's day. I think I would like one. I've got a solid dummy round the NRA sent me years back for a key ring. It looks very impressive even today.

That's what wives are for. Actually, for all those that take this kind of talk serious, If I ever go to Africa, I'm going to have a good white hunter who I hope will bring a double rifle in a substantial cartridge for back up.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Knew a guy that hunted coyotes with a .460 Weatherby....seriously! Loaded it with the lightest bullets he could find and had them bullets just smoking along. Factory ammo for that beast was running about $100.00 a box. That experiment behind him, he eventually sold the thing and embarked in another direction....

As for me, I've got what I need for Africa....my .45-70s will do all the killin I need to get done up to and including Cape Buffalo....

So then I take it you feel that not only a .270 but also a 460 are both damn adequate coyote rifles?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,050 Senior Member
    So then I take it you feel that not only a .270 but also a 460 are both damn adequate coyote rifles?

Hell, given the opportunity I'd shoot them with a .50 BMG...but I do feel that the .270 is a the lower end of the "adequate coyote rifle" spectrum...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 448 Member
    You can import 2 firearms too whichever destination you're going in Africa. Just curious why the 460 weatherby. I'm planning on going too Mozambique next year and I will be carrying a 458 Lott and my light gun will be either a 375 or 416 don't know which yet.
    Hell, given the opportunity I'd shoot them with a .50 BMG...

Guilty.

:devil:
    Hell, given the opportunity I'd shoot them with a .50 BMG...but I do feel that the .270 is a the lower end of the "adequate coyote rifle" spectrum...

Hell, I would love to shoot them and about any varmint with a Ma Deuce too, but for different reasons than accuracy or velocity or long range. It would be to make red mist like they do shooting Prairie Dogs. That would be a blast literally!

As for the .270 Being at the low end, all that I can tell you is that it will make damn nice holes in Coyotes I assure you and they fall down "DEAD RIGHT THERE" too! Just like Deer!!! They don't get any Deader n That!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,343 Senior Member
    I truly dislike excessive recoil. Two rifles came with meto South Africa, the larger one being a 7mm-08. The small one was a .22-250 Rem used primarily for varmints. However, there's no way around the fact that dangerous critters like cape buffalo are more sensibly handled with bigger rounds. That said, I have ZERO desire to go any bigger than a 350 gr. bullet in .458 Win Mag. I own a .458 WM and simply wouldn't tolerate the 500 gr. loads for more than one shot on one animal. Ideally, I'm going with a 300 gr. bullet with a .375 H&H, another rifle that I already own and would trust completely to drop pretty much anything given the proper bullet.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I truly dislike excessive recoil. Two rifles came with meto South Africa, the larger one being a 7mm-08. The small one was a .22-250 Rem used primarily for varmints. However, there's no way around the fact that dangerous critters like cape buffalo are more sensibly handled with bigger rounds. That said, I have ZERO desire to go any bigger than a 350 gr. bullet in .458 Win Mag. I own a .458 WM and simply wouldn't tolerate the 500 gr. loads for more than one shot on one animal. Ideally, I'm going with a 300 gr. bullet with a .375 H&H, another rifle that I already own and would trust completely to drop pretty much anything given the proper bullet.

I can definitely agree. But have you shot a Weatherby Mag. Anything? with a Brake? When I first bought my 300 WBY. I thought to myself, "What have I gone and done now?" I was deathly afraid of it. I kept looking at that huge cartridge and imagining 95 grains of slow burning powder and I thought it will surly knock my shoulder out of joint. But I loaded me up some 150 grain Hornady interlocks I had and took it to the range. I was curious how it would recoil with a medium loaded 150 grain bullet. When I touched the first round off I was amazed at how little recoil I felt. I was thinking my 30-06 slams me harder than this. But later I started work on a 180 grain load and took it to the max. That's what I wanted if I went Elk Hunting. I never went Elk hunting but I have the load worked up. It's pretty potent but it doesn't slam me as hard as my 9.3 x 62 does. That convinced me of what I'd heard about Weatherby Mark Vs. The stock designs help a lot with recoil. And with the brake, it softens them down right nice. And I have heard and read that the 460 equipped with a brake is very manageable.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,545 Senior Member
    About the only one of the big 5 I'm interested in taking is a cape buff. For that, I'd look for a good Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H. It would have to be one with the 'claw' extractor (i.e. not a push feed model).

But, to be realistic, I can't think of a scenario that would allow me to make such a hunt. Even if I could afford it, which I can't, all the crap going on over in that part of the world is enough to make me want to stay at home.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    I will never hunt dangerous game, because I don't have to. I might have tried a moose, in my younger days, but grizzly bears, lions, Cape buffalo, etc. - no way. I enjoy reading about the great hunters, or watching videos, but I don't need to kill a magnificent predator on semi-equal terms to feel manly. A moose, though - pretty good eating, I bet.

As for the big guns, a .30-06 with a 220 grain bullet is a little more recoil than I care about, these days, so that lets me out, anyway.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,343 Senior Member
    I can definitely agree. But have you shot a Weatherby Mag. Anything? with a Brake? When I first bought my 300 WBY. I thought to myself, "What have I gone and done now?" I was deathly afraid of it. I kept looking at that huge cartridge and imagining 95 grains of slow burning powder and I thought it will surly knock my shoulder out of joint. But I loaded me up some 150 grain Hornady interlocks I had and took it to the range. I was curious how it would recoil with a medium loaded 150 grain bullet. When I touched the first round off I was amazed at how little recoil I felt. I was thinking my 30-06 slams me harder than this. But later I started work on a 180 grain load and took it to the max. That's what I wanted if I went Elk Hunting. I never went Elk hunting but I have the load worked up. It's pretty potent but it doesn't slam me as hard as my 9.3 x 62 does. That convinced me of what I'd heard about Weatherby Mark Vs. The stock designs help a lot with recoil. And with the brake, it softens them down right nice. And I have heard and read that the 460 equipped with a brake is very manageable.
    I have shot big bore rifles with a brake and it makes an immense difference in recoil effect and beating reduction. The problem is that unless you want to take great leaps toward catastrophic hearing loss, I think that they are simply unreasonable for field use in a potential quick-shot situation. I made the mistake of taking a snap shot at a deer that popped up in the grass using a muzzlebraked .300 Win Mag and will never make that error again (both shooting it without hearing protection and shooting such an overpowerd round at a whitetail at close range).
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.