Ned's Shooting Thread

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,917 Senior Member
    Glad the .327 is shooting to suit you. Good little cartridge no matter what the detractors say!
    As to the rain, it's gonna continue for the next few days here, so it will continue over there in NC, too, as it's hitting here first, then coming over the mountains to give you some liquid sunshine. Just between you and me, I think the 'Chair Force' is seeding the clouds with Miracle Grow fertilizer. The grass 'n' stuff over here is growing like it's in overdrive!
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,407 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Glad the .327 is shooting to suit you. Good little cartridge no matter what the detractors say!
    As to the rain, it's gonna continue for the next few days here, so it will continue over there in NC, too, as it's hitting here first, then coming over the mountains to give you some liquid sunshine. Just between you and me, I think the 'Chair Force' is seeding the clouds with Miracle Grow fertilizer. The grass 'n' stuff over here is growing like it's in overdrive!

Well, we get rain from your way; but, the area is primed by rain off the sea before we get it from your way.
    This message has been deleted
    The bear has been back.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,518 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    The bear has been back.

I dunno if you or the bear would be more scared if you pedaled up on one wearing that big hat Ned. :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    One ran away and the other just smacked it's lips decided I wasn't tasty and sauntered away..
    Watch out for the black bears. They're unpredictable, especially if you run into each other unexpectedly.

How's the weather over there? It's rainy almost every day over here right now. Getting tired of it. Hot and humidity out the top. Muggy doesn't exactly cover it. Too wet, along with hot and humid, to go to my fave place to shoot some .22 LR.

tennmike wrote: »
    Watch out for the black bears. They're unpredictable, especially if you run into each other unexpectedly.

How's the weather over there? It's rainy almost every day over here right now. Getting tired of it. Hot and humidity out the top. Muggy doesn't exactly cover it. Too wet, along with hot and humid, to go to my fave place to shoot some .22 LR.

Much rain and much more forecast this month, humidity almost off the page----97-99 % first thing in the morning heat index 103 right now.

We went mall walking yesterday since we had to go up to New Bern anyway.

Could have gone shooting this AM; but, I had to spend the best part of the day working on a emergency funding request for a partially disabled Vet.
    Went to a new LGS today

attachment.php?attachmentid=10541&d=1504643409

Not much there yet that interest me; bought a box of Sig 9mm just for support and Clean bought the shirt.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    Went to a new LGS today

attachment.php?attachmentid=10541&d=1504643409

Not much there yet that interest me; bought a box of Sig 9mm just for support and Clean bought the shirt.

You have corporate sponsorship now?

Cool! :applause:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

Went out to see the situation and shoot a couple of milk jugs today, it was almost too cool to go with out a jacket----67 degrees.

I got halfway out there and a brown critter about the size of a smallish beaver ran across the dirt road; but, this critter had a round tail covered in hair, I only saw it go across one tire track.
    I was fairly well away from water even though I expect there is much standing water in the woods because of all the rain we have had.
    I'm sure it was a large otter.

When I got to the normal flooded spots in the road it was boots or wet feet even on a bicycle.

Shooting was so so, took 5 shots to kill two jugs since a top of the jug hit doesn't do much.
    Hey you could have shot it and decorated you hat with its pelt. :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Chief got me thinking 9mm, so, today I took a 9mm Range Officer and that box Sig 124 gr 9mm HP I bought at that new LGS
    and went to the woods while it was still cool.

The ammo looks nice, all rnds go bang; but, does not seem to be any better or any worse than any other name brand HP's
    What did you shoot to tell that?
    Just the same old water filled 1/2 gal milk jugs
    Shot some 147 gr HP 9mm from Winchester
    good performance with a gal jug not so much with the half gal one.

Maybe more water = more resistance and better visual effects.
    Shot some of the sig 124 gr 9mm HP and the 147 gr 9mm with a Blackhawk today
    longer barrel
    terminal effects about the same as from the 1911.
    Made a couple of trips out with that same Blackhawk, wanting to shoot HP's, so, shot .38 spl 90 gr FTX and .357 125 gr FTX. Not HP, but, close enough.
    Not stellar accuracy, the .357 was best, though not good. 125 gr of any kind have not been good in said revolver.

130 gr and above have been better.

Next up will be 158 gr wx dependent.
    I never seemed to have the best accuracy with those 140 grain JHPs .357 bullets I reloaded years ago, not near as good as 158s or 125s from my .357s.

It could be the powder combination/charge too, I guess.
    I have some Hornady 125s XTPs to load up, but usually stick with 158s, the nominal bullet weight for .38/.357

Although, those 148 full WCs target loads gave good accuracy especially in .38 Special revolvers.
    I see Ruger is making the SP 101 in 9mm again
    :drool2:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,162 Senior Member
    I see Ruger is making the SP 101 in 9mm again

I like it, but is a good chunk of change for 5 shots, other options appeal to me in 9mm. Sights could be better too, at that price.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I like it, but is a good chunk of change for 5 shots, other options appeal to me in 9mm. Sights could be better too, at that price.

It is the stainless steel that appeals, I have a speed six in blued steel and the same sights and your correct on that issue.

Oh well, the .327 will have to rule, then; hey.
    Made it out with that Blackhawk and some 158 gr .357, I had a few of those HSM rnds left; found out why I did not like them
    in the past; shot OK, but it is a tough bullet for a HP. Probably be a good rnd for a moderately sized critter like a pig or small deer.

The road was dry and there I was in rubber boots
    might get some rain tomorrow and need the boots again on Wed.
    Enough rain already, water is up causing me to have to ford the road in two places, got my shoes wet in the process.

That .327 GP 100 is shooting so well, I need to sell all the other guns and buy a truck load of .327 ammo.

Enabling set to stun:

Lever action in blued steel AND chambered in .327 Federal!

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-steel/

You KNOW you WANT this rifle! You KNOW you NEED this rifle! Buy it, NN! :tooth:

Ned would be a real Desperado with one of them Henry's ................them old dudes like theirs in the link.

I'm glad to see you like it! That would be a sweet little rifle, I bet! Christmas is coming up; start dropping hints to Mrs. Clean! :tooth:

Pass that big hat around of yours at the VFW and Bingo Hall............heck it probably holds enough spare change to buy that Henry :jester:
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Ned would be a real Desperado with one of them Henry's ................them old dudes like theirs in the link.

With a single 7 on my hip.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,268 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I dunno if you or the bear would be more scared if you pedaled up on one wearing that big hat Ned. :tooth:

Yeah, but if Ned disappears and some day we come upon a bear wearing that hat with a holster and a .327 in it, we'll know what happened. Either the Bear ate Ned or he gave the bear his hat and gun and he's still in a tree somewheres in NC.

:jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.