Ned's Shooting Thread

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Never was a question.

I won't tell ya it did not have more recoil, then either.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Actually, the non expanding projectile made a bigger entrance hole than expanding
    .32 bullets have, in my shooting anyway. 
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    .327 HP VS SP

I have been shooting such ammo for some time now and have come to the
    conclusion that the HP is not really needed and that the HP was produced
    just to sell more ammo because most people are indoctrinated to believe SD applications
    require HP ammo.

100 gr SP .327 penetrates better than HP and the SP ammo will expand to .5 inches and
    in one penetration test I did, .327 100 gr SP out penetrated .357 sp.

The only advantage, possibly, to .327 HP self defense ammo is that it has nickel plated brass;
    if that is really an advantage.  
    Could not stand it anymore, hit the forest and shot a milk jug with .44 mag since it is deer season. 

Only critters out were mosquitoes.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Good for you Ned. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,669 Senior Member
    Good to hear you were abke to get out to the forest 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    Nice to hear your out an about! What! no snakes
    104RFAST said:
    Nice to hear your out an about! What! no snakes
    I was wondering about them too; maybe they knew it was soon to be colder and they 
    have moved toward winter quarters.
    Clean went to volunteer; so, as soon as it got out of the 20's and passed through the 30's into the mid 40's I headed out to shoot.

The 629 had shot 4 inches low last time and I had raised the rear sight a quarter turn and needed to try it. The revolver shot well enough with both .44 special and mag.

I then needed a reload so I took the ammo tray out of the box and put it on the bike seat.

So, guess what happened; yep, the tray fell off the seat and scattered rounds in the grass and leaf litter. Took awhile, but, I accounted for all 31 rnds I had taken with me.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,606 Senior Member
    You need a flat stump near by.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    One of those three legged folding camp stools would be convenient to put the ammo on and it wouldn't spill on the ground. And you could move the ammo and sit down and enjoy the sights and sounds of the woods when you got done shooting or needed a break.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,936 Senior Member
    Or pants, with pockets.......
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    You already riding a bicycle after a hernia surgery?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief said:
    You already riding a bicycle after a hernia surgery?

well, yeah-----I had a different kind of hernia that you got.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,605 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #766
    CHIRO1989 said:
    A skirt...

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Big Chief said:
    well, yeah-----I had a different kind of hernia that you got.
    Oh, OK.

zorba said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    A skirt...

I don't wear pants or a skirt-----I wear trousers like a man should!

I ain't gonna post who wears pants, especially in USMC terminology!
    Ha! "Trousers" are, at best, uncomfortable - at least to "REAL" men! :D ;)

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    I wear blue jeans. Anyway, something that popped into my head on the subject of pants/trousers in general. CARGO SHORTS/PANTS are the men's equivalent of a purse for women, but more organized than a woman's purse, mostly.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

I got some of those cargo things----------put stuff in the cargo pocket and cannot get it out fast.

Had utility uniform trousers, all the cargo pocket was good for in garrison was it caught on things and the pocket ripped.

I heard the cargo pocket was good for carrying grenades they never let me have grenades.
    Just a .38 revolver loaded with signaling ammo and that was tied into my survival vest.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    NN said:
    I got some of those cargo things----------put stuff in the cargo pocket and cannot get it out fast.

Had utility uniform trousers, all the cargo pocket was good for in garrison was it caught on things and the pocket ripped.

I heard the cargo pocket was good for carrying grenades they never let me have grenades.
    Just a .38 revolver loaded with signaling ammo and that was tied into my survival vest.
    Man what a shame! Iffin they woulda let you carry grenades you coulda dropped a few on Ho Chi Min.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake we did carry bombs and rockets; but, the only time I went into North Vietnam it was a night photo mission; that is not counting the time my pilot had his head up his - - -  and went joy riding.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,097 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Snake we did carry bombs and rockets; but, the only time I went into North Vietnam it was a night photo mission; that is not counting the time my pilot had his head up his - - -  and went joy riding.
    Yeah, every now and then one of those sierra hotel pilots show up...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Gila said:
    NN said:
    Yeah, every now and then one of those sierra hotel pilots show up...

Generally that guy was an excellent stick and safe; I flew a bunch of missions at night down in the weeds with him. Just had to watch all of them.
    Been shooting a Redhawk .44 mag with .44 special---------I think I'd rather shoot a S&W.
    Like Chief's .44 special.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    I don't know Ca Ca about redhawks but if they're half as smooth as a S&W, they're good. I like the looks of these Bull Dog 44 Specials that have been around forever, but when I do finally bite the bullet and get me a 44 it will be a Magnum Smith.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    I'v been to the range more in the last 18 months than the last 30 years combined.
    The new indoor range just 10 minutes from my house is just too convenient to pass up.
    However, I now suffer from pain and stiffness in my right hand and have reduced the frequency of visits. Nothing big, 90% 9mm 10% 45/10mm. I'm sure my age is becoming
    an issue, anybody experience this?

edited December 2018 #780
    The Redhawk is harder to blow up... ;)
    But more seriously, I'm curious why you'd prefer the S&W. Better ergonomics?

zorba said:
    The Redhawk is harder to blow up... ;)
    But more seriously, I'm curious why you'd prefer the S&W. Better ergonomics?

Must be. I shoot better with a 629 or the 610 that is built on a 629 except for the size of the holes.