Ned's Shooting Thread

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,605 Senior Member
    Interesting. I love my CZ-75, but can actually shoot better with a Beretta 92 or a (9mm) 1911.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    9mm 1911s seem to be great shooters.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Redhawks are very heavy and have a much harder trigger pull. Good guns and built like a Tank. Some things can be done to slick them up, but they only have one spring to work on the trigger pull. You can cut a coil or two off or buy a spring kit of various weights to try until you get a lighter pull and reliable ignition.

I believe the Super Redhawks lend themselves to slicking up with more than the one spring. I like the looks of a Redhawk much better than the 'Stretched' frame look on the Supers.

S&W N frames have always been easier to shoot and hit with for me.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    104RFAST said:
    I'v been to the range more in the last 18 months than the last 30 years combined.
    The new indoor range just 10 minutes from my house is just too convenient to pass up.
    However, I now suffer from pain and stiffness in my right hand and have reduced the frequency of visits. Nothing big, 90% 9mm 10% 45/10mm. I'm sure my age is becoming
    an issue, anybody experience this?

Yeah. I have issues when I shoot a light .357 Mag. or .any .44 Mag. pistol without a shooting glove. I have a PAST shooter's glove, and it makes shooting a lot of rounds more comfortable. Check what is available locally to you. They don't cost much, and sure cushion the recoil!

If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,606 Senior Member
    Could be the grip shape and gun balance of the S&W is a better fit.
    Shot some leverlution  in that Redhawk today-----they shot real high as compared to the follow up 165 gr hornady .44 spl.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    I think Leverlution brass is shorter so they can seat them bullets. Reloaders have to separate their brass.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief said:
    I think Leverlution brass is shorter so they can seat them bullets. Reloaders have to separate their brass.

Yes it is shorter by .02------mine was 1.25 inch and some other .44 mag was 1.27.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,936 Senior Member
    .02 will make that much of a difference at handgun ranges? Truth be told, I do not fiddle with case length in any of my reloads unless they exceed the maximum length and then I usually trim to just under max length and fiddle with powder charge, bullets, and bullet seating. Should I be paying more attention to this for my rifle loads in particular, I have never shot over 200 yds?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Probably not if you are happy with your shooting and chamber pressure stays in limits.

I don't reload and would not have noticed the case length difference if Chief had not brought it up.
    The water has cleared the road back in the forest; so I made an attempt to get to the end of the road.  No dice, around the curve there are 6 or so trees down blocking bicycle access. 

I set up in a new spot and managed to kill 2 water filled jugs of water-----then picked up trash on the way out.
    Took a trip to the forest today after it got above freezing.

There has been someone out there with some kind of small vehicle that can climb over downed trees. Must have big tires, must be some kind of 4 wheeler as it drove through the tunnel in the top of a big oak across the road. I'd like to see it in action.

Saw an otter acting funny, I thought it was in a trap with a long tether. I walked up to where it was and it swam away, no trap I guess.

I shot 10 mm and had a Winchester silver tip refuse to fire, I tried it 3 times, no dice. 
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,922 Senior Member
    NN said:

There has been someone out there with some kind of small vehicle that can climb over downed trees. Must have big tires, must be some kind of 4 wheeler as it drove through the tunnel in the top of a big oak across the road. I'd like to see it in action.

Saw an otter acting funny, I thought it was in a trap with a long tether. I walked up to where it was and it swam away, no trap I guess.

I shot 10 mm and had a Winchester silver tip refuse to fire, I tried it 3 times, no dice. 
    Jeep maybe??

edited February 1 #795
    I used to shoot Silvertips .44 Special from my 6 1/2"  624 at "Paper Trees" they would go all the way through.

I have a few left from a long time ago. They still sell them?

NN said:

Jeep maybe??

I don't think the space in the tree top is big enough for a jeep.
    Big Chief said:
    I used to shoot Silvertips .44 Special from my 6 1/2"  624 at "Paper Trees" they would go all the way through.

I don' 't know, these were old
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,097 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Big Chief said:

I don' 't know, these were old
    I'm fairly sure they still sell them, but I don't need any right now.  I still have a full case of .40 Silvertips.  I don't use them for practice, only for carry.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    They still use them in factory loaded ammo or can be sold as component bullets for handloads. The 38s are very accurate in my revolvers.

IIRC the 45s for 45colt are .455 in diameter and good for filling up generous throats during ignition. The factory 45colt ammo Ive fired was a mild load. I keep some handy for use indoors.
    Went to the forest wearing a summer sun shirt today, very pleasant. 
    Took a 45 convertible Blackhawk along using the .45 acp cylinder.

The gun shot to POA, just had to find what that was; turned out to be a center bull hold.

Had one shot  with no indication where the bullet went. My mind had flash backs to when
    I blew up that Blackhawk. Best I could figure is that the log I shot was spongy rotten and just sucked up the hit.

I did check the barrel to see if it was clear and it was.

Those convertibles are fun. My Blackhawk with the .45 ACP cylinder is accurate contrary to what I heard over the years.

I like POA impact on my six shooters. Of course with different reloads I may have to make adjustments of sight picture. 
    It shot the same today; though no hidden bullet strikes.
    Good, you found a load that is predictable and that is a good thing.
    Today I shot some Green and white boxed Remington 230 gr HP .45 acp with a 625 using 1/3 clips to be sure that I would not have bullet pulling; as I often get noticeable pulling on
    5 & 6th rnds in a full moonclip. 

I think this ammo is adequate for SD use, although, it seem to be a tough bullet that does not expand rapidly.  Exit holes are not overly large as compared to other .45 HPs.

Often a water filled 1/2 gal milk jug does not hardly wiggle when shot, water just runs out.

Accuracy is as good as the shooter.
    I would buy more of this ammo if it was priced close to ball ammo.

Saw wood ducks today.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    edited February 16 #805
    Sounds like that particular bullet maybe needs more velocity to expand.

Wood ducks are cool little ducks. Their wings sure whistle when they are highballin' it down the rivers here.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

My early 625 (says model of 1988 on the bbl) doesn't pull bullets. They don't put much crimp on .45 ACPs because of how it head-spaces although I've seen some military ammo with a crimp you can see on the brass. There is no crimping groove on pistol bullets and it is "Slick". There may be a few exceptions to that.

When I reload .45 ACP I use a Lee Factory Crimp die.

My 3" 629 .44 magnum will pull bullets if I don't use a heavy crimp, but the same ammo from my 629 Classic with  6 1/2" bbl doesn't, go figure.

A 5 inch bbl seems ideal on a revolver, pretty much 4 or 6 is your choices. Granddads .38 special I have has a 5 inch bbl. Wish more were made with them. 

I found I had some Federal 165 gr .45 acp HYDRA SHOK low recoil ammo.

Took it out to see if I would notice less recoil, I did not; but, then I used
    a fairly heavy revolver and did not really notice the recoil.

Terminal effects on  water filled milk jugs was good but not special either.

The gal jug lost all the water on bullet impact, but, the jug just sat in place.

The 1/2 gal jug at least fell over.

The water  is down in the woods, though flooded areas still hold water.
    Shot ball .45acp today using 2 rnd clips, accurate; but, ho hum.

Water in the woods is down some more, nice weather, should start seeing snakes soon
    I expect.
    edited April 29 #809

I loaded 6 .40 S&W 180 gr rnds in the clip and shot them in the 10 mm, just to see how it would go. Not a good group, the first 3 rnds went well, then I got lazy and the group opened up.
    Still, a dead jug.
    I went out and shot a Redhawk .45aco/45 cold on Friday stoked with .45 acp-----------------
    I missed with all 6 shots.

I was about to burry it in the back yard; then, I remembered I had some notes on sight settings and found there was a full turn of elevation difference between .45 and 45 cold.

Tried it again today with .45, at 7 yds I got a POA hit, went back to 10 yds and  barely touched
    the spout of the upside-down jug. 

Backed up some more and cranked up the rear sight the needed full turn and the revolver is shooting as it should.