Home Main Category General Firearms

Remington Sportsman M 58

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,861 Senior Member
can somebody tell me a little about this shotgun? One at LGS for $265.....pretty good shape.
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    My Google-fu turned up several forums with more praise than insult. If it's cheap and seems to function, it probably does. Have a gunsmith give it a once over and have fun.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,720 Senior Member
    Patterned some after one of the Brownings.

Balances perfect just ahead of the receiver.

3 shot as you know.

Gas piston can get fouled up, so some cleaning during a hunting season is needed.

I did wing shooting better than any other shotgun with mine.

Mine is a 3" 12 ga, it won't cycle with many low base light loads. The cure is to pull the mag/gas cylinder cap and insert a nail from
    the inside and bent so it cannot fall in or out. It will shoot anything then. Just take the nail out for heavier loads.

Shot foster slugs like a rifle to 50 yds.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    The rubber gasket piece between the barrel sleeve and the gas cylinder cap should be inspected for wear.

I got mine in the late 50's or early 60's and the rubber piece is still good.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!"- - - - -Run, do not walk away from that deal! Remington Model 58's are notorious for breaking the linkage between the operating rod and the bolt, and the supply of those parts dried up several years ago. It was a chronic weak point that was reinforced when the 1100 was designed, but 1100 parts don't interchange. I've tried to repair a couple of them with less that successful results.
    Jerry
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    "DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!"- - - - -Run, do not walk away from that deal! Remington Model 58's are notorious for breaking the linkage between the operating rod and the bolt, and the supply of those parts dried up several years ago. It was a chronic weak point that was reinforced when the 1100 was designed, but 1100 parts don't interchange. I've tried to repair a couple of them with less that successful results.
    Jerry

Well, there you have it.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry
    That did happen to me back in the late 60's or in the 70's
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    All you ever wanted to know about a Remington Sportsman 58, but didn't know where to look. Pay particular attention to the comment about the action bar(s).

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20Articles/remington_58_1100_1187_SG.html

Jerry
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    I had a Remington Sportsman 58 back in the early 70's....biggest pile of junk I ever owned. It spent more time at the gunsmith's than in the duck blind. Traded it off on an early Browning A5 magnum. Best thing I ever did. I still have the Browning, and that model 58 probably disintegrated.
    All the bad reports are interesting, except for that one failure fixed by Remington, mine has been a shooting machine.

Steel shot is the reason I do not use for ducks anymore.
  • will-jwill-j Member Posts: 50 Member
    Have one in 16ga. A friend gave it to me to clean for him as it wouldn't cycle. Took some time to get all the crud out so it would be reliable and then he passed away before I could get it back to him. His sons said to keep it when I tried to give to them. That was in '06 and I haven't fired a round thru it since.

Nice to know about the nail thing, though. Gotta try it.

WILL.
    :confused:
    [email protected]; I need my meds.
    THE WINDS OF TYRANNY ARE BLOWING FROM OUR OWN CAPITOL.
  • tbarnztbarnz Member Posts: 66 Member
    I have a 16 gauge. My father bought it before I was born and used it constantly. Doves, ducks, squirrels, deer and the occasional pest. He gave it to me in the mid-70's and I hunted with it for years after that. No issues whatsoever. Light, very little recoil and it might have failed to eject the empty shell once or twice.