Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Sc governor nikki haley calls for removal of confederate flag from statehouse grounds

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
It is flying next to a Civil War monument on the state capital grounds. She wants it removed and put in a museum.

Not trying to relive the Civil War on here, but was that a smart move on her part or just political pandering to prevent unrest in her state? Is it feel good act to pacify those who complain about it saying it represents oppression to them?

I know it means a lot of things to a lot of people, unfortunately it is associated with hate groups who use it as a symbol of their cause.

It is also viewed as symbolic of past slavery defended by the Confederacy.

Viewed by many as part of their Southern Heritage.

Curious of opinions on this these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

Different ones used.

[IMG][/img]flags_zps3mqfgmt2.jpg
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    SC is my home state. SC was the first state to secede from the Union. My vehicle has a Confederate flag where the front plate would normally go. I'm proud of it.

The governors action is nothing but politics and to make most of the state Senators happy. Ridiculous! Politicians will always be just that!
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    political expediency, a politician is a politician
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Bend over for the liberals, and pray they use a little K-Y jelly. Don't count on it, though!
    Jerry
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    The link below is the "Stars an Bars" official flag of the of the Confederate States. The Crossed Bars was the battle flag of many states. Some people are proud of the flag and display it. Others find it offensive and racist. The Civil War was fought over 150 years ago. The Swastika was used by the Hindu's and the Jainism. During the 20s the Swastika was the flag adopted by the Nazi party almost 90 years ago. Are the Jewish people racist for being against the Swastika today? They were inslaved, tortured, and murdered in vast numbers. This is not to compare the two but how are they so different? The gay Rainbow flag is used to keep Christians away. The ISIS flag is used to justify killings and invasions. The only flag that I support is the American flag. Old flags are for history and the American flag is for the future if WE let it. OORAH! :usa: Later,

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861-1863%29.svg/270px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861-1863%29.svg.png
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
    Is this "X"

x_trucker_hats-r115027875fd64735837eaedbc00ec89b_v9wfy_8byvr_324.jpg

More of less offensive than this "X"?

confederate_battle_flag_03.png

Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,105 Senior Member
    Of the flags in Big Chief's post, flag #2 was the first national flag, and flag #5 was the standardized national flag. Flag #4 was square, and was the battle flag and also the jack flag of the Confederate navy. Flag #6 is the flag of the army of Tennessee, and is the one abused by the mouth breathing drooling **** fools like neo Nazis, skinheads, and such wastes of protoplasm.

As BC said, the battle flag is being flown next to a Civil War monument. So fly no flag over the monument at all and satisfy the left wing haters, for now. Flying a U.S. flag over a Confederate monument would have a lot in common with flying the swastika flag over the allied graves in Normandy, IMO.

Rank and file Confederate soldiers weren't fighting to preserve slavery; they were fighting to repel an invading force in their newly formed country.

I guess the next target for the liberal mouth breathing scum sucking **** will be the removal of any Confederate memorial monuments on any of the Civil War battlefields, leaving only the Union memorial monuments.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Joan Baez version.........................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CDli4k8y6k
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,088 Senior Member
    I changed my Facebook photo to a Confederate flag just to piss people off :tooth:
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
    Wsutlive/Billy Chuck (may he RIP) is probably rolling in his grave right now!
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Pandering to the libtards.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »

Rank and file Confederate soldiers weren't fighting to preserve slavery; they were fighting to repel an invading force in their newly formed country.

Right on brother! :up:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,531 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Of the flags in Big Chief's post, flag #2 was the first national flag, and flag #5 was the standardized national flag. Flag #4 was square, and was the battle flag and also the jack flag of the Confederate navy. Flag #6 is the flag of the army of Tennessee, and is the one abused by the mouth breathing drooling **** fools like neo Nazis, skinheads, and such wastes of protoplasm.

As BC said, the battle flag is being flown next to a Civil War monument. So fly no flag over the monument at all and satisfy the left wing haters, for now. Flying a U.S. flag over a Confederate monument would have a lot in common with flying the swastika flag over the allied graves in Normandy, IMO.

I guess the next target for the liberal mouth breathing scum sucking **** will be the removal of any Confederate memorial monuments on any of the Civil War battlefields, leaving only the Union memorial monuments.

The Democrats know they have to extinguish any remnants of their "dixie-crat" history. Even IF the reason for the war wasn't slavery by majority, it was an aspect of the secession even if not the cause.

Making an end game for the "conservatives are racist" means erasing all attributes of democrats ties to slavery wherever it may be.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,505 Senior Member
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    political expediency, a politician is a politician
    Pretty much what I think, plus flying that flag is also to needle as many Yankees as can be.

And being a Yankee carpet bagger I know all about that issue.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Another Repunklickan commits suicide to please people who would never vote for her!!! That flag was put up and supported and defended by Democrats but becomes an issue whenever a Republican is elected who will then be browbeaten into self destruction by their enemies!!!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    The Democrats know they have to extinguish any remnants of their "dixie-crat" history. Even IF the reason for the war wasn't slavery by majority, it was an aspect of the secession even if not the cause.

Making an end game for the "conservatives are racist" means erasing all attributes of democrats ties to slavery wherever it may be.

Slavery was one aspect, but not the most important one that caused the split. We've been over this ground before. The taxes and tariffs charged at Southern ports by the Federal government, and other taxation issues that were levied ONLY against Southern states and ports was the real straw that broke the camel's back. And the South sending cotton to England to be turned into cloth and shipped back because it was cheaper than sending it to the industrial North and then shipping cloth back South caused the Northern industrialists to squeal like hogs wound up in an electric fence. Crooked economic policies pushed the South over the brink. South Carolina was first to secede because the ports at Charleston and other coastal cities were feeling the full brunt of those crooked policies. It's in the history of the times, but isn't taught anywhere as it isn't 'politically correct' to tell the truth being as it is inconvenient for the narrative of the victors. And the victors write the history books.

And I'll say this one more time. The Axis powers in WWII did more to force reconstruction in the South by Washington, D.C. than the Federal government had done since 1865. And that's a fact.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Closing the yankee hunting season in 1865 was a mistake, according to a lot of the folks I know.
    Jerry
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 559 Senior Member
    If u take it down you need too take the American flag down. If a confederate flag is racist an American flag should be too.all the slave ships sailed under an American flag and out of northern ports. The war was about states rights not slavery.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_I9Y76Yb20

Some folks just don't get it do they?
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    When this story broke that 9 of my brothers and sisters in Christ were murdered at a prayer meeting it broke my heart but the way their survive family members responded with love, unity and healing, healed my heart.God love 'em. I watched their pastor preach last Sunday. He shucked it on down to the cob and never blamed racism.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    When this story broke that 9 of my brothers and sisters in Christ were murdered at a prayer meeting it broke my heart but the way their survive family members responded with love, unity and healing, healed my heart.God love 'em. I watched their pastor preach last Sunday. He shucked it on down to the cob and never blamed racism.

Isn't that amazing after Ferguson and Baltimore , my :angel2::angel2: go out to them all.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Personally I'm more concerned with the creeping, gun grabbing, leftist agenda.
    And if my latest copy of American Hunter is to be believed then they're coming after hunting again.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 390 Member
    captured southern soldier asked why he fought "cuz y'all are down here". So they can take their slavery crap and shove it. The battle flag is on a monument to southern soldiers who died. It isn't on the state capitol building so is all just a smoke screen and pandering to the vocal few.
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 390 Member
    and just a note..sure seems strange that this Canadian born and raised seems to know more American history than the US press and politicians.
    Flashover wrote: »
    and just a note..sure seems strange that this Canadian born and raised seems to know more American history than the US press and politicians.

That's because American History hasn't been taught in U.S. schools since the late 1960s. The lies and and the willful removing of the history from the school books and replacing it with the lies was for political expedience. Pick up any high school level book used to teach American History and do a little fast scan reading, and you'll feel like you just got punched in the gut by the Hulk.
    This quote by one of Hitler's inner circle explains it very well:

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
    Joseph Goebbels

When the Muslims conquer a place, they plant their flag, tear down a church/cathedral and raise a mosque, and destroy anything of the conquered culture that can't be used to make war. That includes destroying books, libraries, competing religion, political factions, and anything that is a reminder of times before the conquest. The nanny state has been doing that since 1865. They have done well in this endeavor. They have dumbed down the cattle to be willing and useful idiots in their efforts to destroy the country. And they have enabled factions to be raised, given rights above normal citizens, and set them one upon the other to cause dissent. This is helpful in that the people end up seething over what the left hand of government is doing, and losing sight of the right hand that is gutting their freedom in the background.

And I'll throw out this little nugget for anyone to trail if they feel so inclined.
    One of Hillary Clinton's great woman heroes whom she says she emulates is Margaret Sanger. No matter what color you are, that should scare the hell out of you, but especially if you aren't a WASP.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Isn't it a bit hypocritical that the northeastern libs choose to ignore who transported the slaves- - - - -New England mariners- - - - -after they bought their human cargo from the ancestors of our liar-in-chief? How about we tear down the American flag those slave ships sailed under as well? It's not PC, I guess, to tell the whole truth!
    Jerry
    Walmart/ Sears/K-mart will stop selling Confederate Flags/themed goods.

Pretty absurd PC knee-jerk reaction. I'll bet online/other stores will gladly gobble up their customers.

Now will they stop selling Afro-American and any other stuff with a foreign country logo on it? How about the LGBT Rainbow..........which offends SOME people?

This used to be a nation of choices, but no more if it doesn't fit into what is currently PC.

And the Union Jack.........it stands fer Oppression of the American Colonist :tooth:

I support a ban on the sale any images of Obammy because he causes racial tensions!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/politics/confederate-flag-walmart-south-carolina/
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,467 Senior Member
    I will go against the grain here and say it's time it should be removed from the State House grounds of SC. It was put there in 1962 for racial reasons, opposition to segregation, and until recently flew higher than the American flag. About the same time the GA flag was changed to the main field as a Confederate battle flag as defiance in the face of school desegregation. It was changed to a less defiant flag a few years ago. Everyone is now happy, especially history students.

For a LOT of SC citizens it represents racism and slavery. It is used wrongly at any Klan rally or any racist website. Several years ago, I was at a demolition derby with my niece/nephew in Ohio. One of the demo cars was flying the Confederate battle flag. Behind me in the stands, one of the attendees said, "Wo! That's the Klan flag!" approvingly. I told him it was NOT the Klan flag, but I don't think he believed it. To him, and to a lot of other people, it is the Klan flag. Which is unfortunate and wrong. But to many people especially up North where they do not have a history of anything else, it represents the Klan.

I've always felt that flags have a lot of power as symbols, which is of course true, and a learned thing. We respect the American flag because we are taught what it represents. To our enemies, it instills fear, like us seeing the ISIS flag on a flagpole in the US would instill fear and hatred. Which is as it should be. To approximately 35% of SC citizens, it (rightly or wrongly) represents racism and white supremacy.

I think Haley's decision is both political and the right thing to do. No Republican candidate has come out for letting the flag stay where it is. It's such a simple thing to do, and I don't see how its removal can offend anyone.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene is right about the Confederate flag beginning to be used in the 60's by the KKK and other groups due to desegregation, busing, etc. The swastika flag emerged full force about the same time.

Prior to the 60's the predominant flag of the KKK along with the flag of white background with cross was the U.S. flag. Here's a picture of a KKK rally in Washington, D.C. in 1925. Note the flags being waved.

20spic1_zpsurfq5b9n.jpg
    ― Douglas Adams
    So if they vote in the state capital to remove it will all the racial hatred/killings stop in SC?

So some pics of that little dirtball surface with him near a Stars and Bars is reason enough to take them all down.

Lets get rid of all private gun ownership too because he was in a pic holding a gun and that surely made him wanna attack black folks, represents hate groups and guns are a reminder that people get shot with them.

They all caved in and none wanna risk being called a racist and I guess this knee jerk reaction makes them all feel better inside and appeases those who blame that flag on all their social and economic ills.

Will there not be another incident like in Charleston again if they take down the Confederate flag flying next to a Civil War monument?

What is next, sledge hammers knocking down all Confederate Civil War Monuments/Memorials, banning them?

Political climate is such these days it allowed them to demand and get what they have been wanting for decades and few if any of the spineless politicians will dare to stand up to them.

Juan Williams said he was offended when he went to buy his kids a toy car model of The Dukes of Hazard and a Rebel flag was on the cars roof....................they gonna stop reruns of that show and toy sales next because some people think it represents and supports slavery?

I don't own/display a Stars and Bars, but all this PC nonsense makes me wanna go buy one, if nothing else to piss off the idiots who say it offends them!