Mule deer hunt update

Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth MemberPosts: 136 Member
I got a whole week off of work this year for my deer hunt. I put a trail cam up and got some pictures of does, some javalina, something I couldn't tell what it was. But the picture that blew me away was of a mountain lion. It was in the river bottom not 10 min. from my house.

I didn't see any deer or much sign where my brother and I both tagged out last year, so I came in a bit closer to home to see what there was. Well is all I saw was 16 deer on a harvested cornfield, (5 bucks, one decent one). Since I left my range finder at home and most fields are 1/4 mile to the side and I know that that's 440 yards and I snuck into the field about 30 yards I figured on using my 400 yard dope that I dialed up the day before and didn't even come close. So I tried 300 with the same results. And 450.

At that point I called it quits so I didn't wound a deer and went back for my rangefinder. Turns out it was more like 610. Oops. I won't take a shot like that without knowing the range again. It's not fair to the deer.

Anyways, I was easing along the field edge where the deer had entered and saw a large bobcat just ahead of me that never did quite present a shot. It disappeared into the trees, so sauntered up to where it had gone in and promptly jumped three deer. A spike, a small 3x3, and a doe. A bunch of other deer went tearing off through the brush. I could have taken the spike at 75 yards but let him go, and the 3x3 never really gave me a shot.

While traipsing around during the heat of the day I got two coyotes, then went back home and picked up my oldest son (10 years old) to sit the corn field that evening. We had a forkie and a doe with a fawn come out and feed to within 200 yards of us, but I let him walk. I'm waiting for a big 3x3 or 4x4 until the last day and then will take whatever.

It's been a fun couple of days and I can't wait till tomorrow morning.

I would post pics if somebody would tell me how to post from the iPod to here.
Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    Make sure that LRF is with you with good batteries-good luck
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Best of luck man
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Good luck
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth Member Posts: 136 Member
    Didn't see a thing this morning.
    Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.