I can't shoot anymore

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    What do I do? I always considered myself a fair shot as a teenager and into my twenties, but I'm slipping now.
    cpj wrote: »
    Is it later enough?

First take your underpants off your head.

Then you just need to redevelop the right knack.

You should have no trouble finding it, I imagine it would still be with the left one, when your good lady put them both in the top draw.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    Don't stress we all have bad days at the range. Refocus on the fundamentals and you skills will return. The 22 idea is a good one and just have find at the range too.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Get rid of the Squealers in the pen (any GF too :jester:) and other distractions. Get focused again.

I have had range days where I erroneously thought everything would shoot so good it would just be boring getting great groups because I was extra careful reloading with premium components and double checking my guns, checking all the scope mounts/screws you name it............only to have it be a not so good day on the range, nothing to write home about.

Other times for no apparent reason I couldn't miss anything I was shootin at. More I think about it, distractions aside, it was mostly just me and how I was paying attention to the basics. Just never know, but take everything you can eliminate outta the equation and concentrate on what you are doing.

Because if said factory ammo or reloads have worked well in the past, with the same gun, same distance, shooting from the same place, you should be able repeat it fairly regular, providing nothing else has changed. It could be the weather being hotter or colder than the last time or a crowded range with people giving you the evil eye hoping you will hurry up and vacate your firing point so they can have it, causing you not to concentrate as much.

Preoccupied with wife/kids/work/health can all be distractions.

Hang in there, don't give up. You will be back to where you were and maybe better.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    It happens, life gets in the way, skills get rusty, but they'll come back, just have to knock the rust off and get back at it.

Correct. I don't go to the range as much as I should either, and I always note a dropoff in my shooting if I wait too long. Same as any other skill, you can get rusty.

I do however find that after a couple of magazines of good ol' whitebox .45 ammo, I'm okay again.

Seriously, do you think that you're having maybe some sort of medical problem with your up pulse and so on? Last time you had a regular checkup?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The WW II vets who ran the Boy Scout camp rifle range I attended back in the 1950's used the oldtime anagram "BRASS" when teaching us how to shoot.

B- - - -breathe- - - -Take a full breath, or several to get your body well-oxygenated. Let out half a breath and hold it.

R- - - -relax- - - -don't tense up

A - - - -aim- - - -get a good sight picture

S- - - -slack- - - -we were using military .22 trainers with 2-stage triggers. (Wish I had one now!)

S- - - -squeeze- - - -let the round be somewhat of a surprise when it fires.

If you start to tense up or you get hypoxic as you hold your breath, start the whole cycle over again. With a little practice, you should be able to squeeze off a pretty steady shot within 5-10 seconds of starting the sequence. We used the same basic drill when I was on the University of Tennessee ROTC smallbore target team in the mid-1960's.
    Jerry
    Teach, thanks for posting this. I do rifle instruction for the Scouts, and I think this will be an excellent training tool.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Teach, thanks for posting this. I do rifle instruction for the Scouts, and I think this will be an excellent training tool.

Yes I think it's a pretty standard checklist but lists some things we all forget. And the last one, I've heard some on here say they know exactly when the trigger will break. But I would wager it was a learned point. And they miss the point. When you're squeezing the trigger you want to forget about when it will happen because anticipation can lead to bad habits like flinching. Just let it happen naturally. Yeah, you'll learn on each of your rifles when it will break after several hundred rounds, but just let it happen naturally without anticipating it. Let it be a natural part of the shot. The key point they're telling you here is don't anticipate it. Let it happen even though after a couple hundred or maybe a thousand rounds or so you pretty well know by feel when it's going to happen on each of your rifles.

And you gotta remember, you use a check list like this when learning to shoot or when teaching someone to shoot, or if you start having problems like Buffy. And you do these things so you don't develop bad habits.
    You go telling a newby you know exactly when the shot will break and he/she will start to anticipate it. Just let em learn on their own but teach them not to anticipate.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I say it's a cross between buck fever and premature ej , all joking aside, you should get checked out by a cardiologist, just to be on the safe side.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I say it's a cross between buck fever and premature ej , all joking aside, you should get checked out by a cardiologist, just to be on the safe side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BwM9lnFmkI
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Come on Buffco my G & A friend and gun Buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................Please, Please Don't give up!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep trying and trying hard to shoot!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,605 Senior Member
    Get yerself a nice "Shooting Skirt", so you'll be cool, relaxed and comfortable!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I have mitral valve prolapse and regurgitation. Also have a high resting heart rate. I've been checked with EKG and wore a halter monitor for 24 hours.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Get a bow and arrow then
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Get a bow and arrow then

Always with the negative waves moriarty. :popcorn:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

zorba wrote: »
    Get yerself a nice "Shooting Skirt", so you'll be cool, relaxed and comfortable!

[IMG][/img]facepalm_zpsaatc8kux.jpg
    shush wrote: »
    Always with the negative waves moriarty. :popcorn:

[IMG][/img]negwaves_zpsptnmjw4h.jpg
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Don't stress we all have bad days at the range. Refocus on the fundamentals and you skills will return. The 22 idea is a good one and just have find at the range too.
    It's not just a bad day. Fact is I suck every day right now.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    facepalm_zpsaatc8kux.jpg
    Don't knock it if ya haven't tried it! :devil:

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    cpj wrote: »
    Is it later enough?
    No. But I knew it wouldn't last through the first page anyway. I just keep plugging away. The serious comments will trickle in.
    The WW II vets who ran the Boy Scout camp rifle range I attended back in the 1950's used the oldtime anagram "BRASS" when teaching us how to shoot.

B- - - -breathe- - - -Take a full breath, or several to get your body well-oxygenated. Let out half a breath and hold it.

R- - - -relax- - - -don't tense up

A - - - -aim- - - -get a good sight picture

S- - - -slack- - - -we were using military .22 trainers with 2-stage triggers. (Wish I had one now!)

S- - - -squeeze- - - -let the round be somewhat of a surprise when it fires.

If you start to tense up or you get hypoxic as you hold your breath, start the whole cycle over again. With a little practice, you should be able to squeeze off a pretty steady shot within 5-10 seconds of starting the sequence. We used the same basic drill when I was on the University of Tennessee ROTC smallbore target team in the mid-1960's.
    Jerry
    Thanks for that.
    Hey Teach - a dumb, clueless, n00000000000b question: I tend to take a couple, but let the "last one" out normally, then take a half breath IN and hold.

Any difference? I can't think of one, but I'm asking.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Seriously, when was the last time you had a holiday Buffy. The kind of break where you were able to completely relax away from work etc?.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member

Premature ejection? Isn't this the sort of problem that guy who posted recently here had, with the gun "exploding" and hurting him and the lawsuit and all? You're saying that a little bit of Chinese lovemaking will do the job?

(Chinese lovemaking is the bad joke that Jake -- Jack Nicholson -- tells in the great movie Chinatown)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Hey Teach - a dumb, clueless, n00000000000b question: I tend to take a couple, but let the "last one" out normally, then take a half breath IN and hold.

Any difference? I can't think of one, but I'm asking.

Works either way- - - -the idea is that you aren't completely out of air, or holding a lungful with your diaphragm fully extended. At the "half-breath" point, you can hold comfortably for several seconds without getting hypoxic or stressed from holding a lungful of air.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    orchidman wrote: »
    Seriously, when was the last time you had a holiday Buffy. The kind of break where you were able to completely relax away from work etc?.
    Ha.

Ha-ha.

Hahahahahahaha.

It's been years.
    Ha.

Ha-ha.

Hahahahahahaha.

It's been years.

You put yer foot down and tell your wife you Will be attending next years SE Shoot period. Make whatever plans she needs now, but that is the way it is gonna be woman! Very nicely though :tooth:

I guess I should say approach her well.............Gingerly!
    Works either way- - - -the idea is that you aren't completely out of air, or holding a lungful with your diaphragm fully extended. At the "half-breath" point, you can hold comfortably for several seconds without getting hypoxic or stressed from holding a lungful of air.
    Jerry
    Yea - that's about what I thought, as we're trained to do that under certain circumstances dancing - but as I really know about the square root of eff-all in shooting as yet, I figured the only dumb question was one that wasn't asked.

Thank you.

• HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Yeah just need a good shooting gallery to play on. Relax and enjoy shooting for a change. As long as I am hitting I don't worry about my guns. Something was amiss though when I was running the Bayonet Charge. I couldn't hit anything with the scope. Fortunately I had offset irons to fall back on.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Ha.

Ha-ha.

Hahahahahahaha.

It's been years.

I feel for you my friend. From 1997 until 2010 I never took a day off work and holidays were what other people enjoyed. Going to the SE for the first time was the first break I had.........and attending the subsequent shoots (twice more) has been the only time I have had more than a couple of days away from work in the last 18 years. I have learnt to compensate by treating any time I have for things like range trips, hunting days, even working on charters as 'holidays'. You need to get some 'down' time..............even if its only for a few hours or a day.......

It takes a conscious decision to put out of your mind all the responsibilities that you have in your life and be able to enjoy some 'Me' time and believe me, it is hard............But even a day or a few hours where you go and enjoy something you like without feeling guilty about not dealing with responsibilities will recharge you.

If you can, learn to switch off and enjoy the moment. Next time you head to the range, clear your mind of all else and go enjoy some 'Me' time. Everything will still be there when you get back and you can deal with it then. It will help you with your shooting........esp if you can put aside any guilt feelings if you have them.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Shooting a .22 LR rifle has always been my favorite pastime. And that is because you can make it the most fun you can have and still keep your pants on! :up:
    Pitch the targets, they make you frustrated. Go to Wallyworld and buy one of those bulk packs of water balloons; theres something like 300 in the pack for not much $. Fill them to about 2" diameter with water and tie them off at the top. Spread them out over a wide area at different distances; I do 25 to 50 yards. Then set down at the bench.......................and breathe. Take in what there is to see. Look for birds, skwirrlz, bun rabs, anything. Just set there, clear your mind, and breathe. There's always something interesting to look at if you pay attention. You'll know when you're relaxed and ready to start shooting. Start with the closest balloons, and work outward. It's fun, it's relaxing, and you don't have a stoopid do nothing paper target mocking you. You know you're on target as each balloon bursts. Shoot for the sheer love of shooting and hitting those 'targets of opportunity' and watching them explode in a shower of water. Trigger time with a .22 can be a LOT of fun, and prepare you for the centerfires when you decide to take them out for a spin and shoot paper.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    Buffy, just relax and shoot. Your letting your brain screw with you. When you get behind the rifle that's all that matters, not anything else in the world but sending that bullet to its intended target. Forget the next shot or the last. Just that shot. Just shoot and don't worry
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.