I can't shoot anymore

13»

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,972 Senior Member
    I was trained with the BRASS method...however, nowadays, the trend is to fire during your natural respiratory pause...

There is not a rifle in my safe that "surprises" me when it goes off...

Bryant...fire a few rounds...when you get frustrated, quit shooting for the day...it will only get worse if you keep trying when you're not performing...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Bryant...fire a few rounds...when you get frustrated, quit shooting for the day...it will only get worse if you keep trying when you're not performing...

This. I have packed in a range trip more than once because I was having an off day.

Learn to unplug your brain for a while each day. When I have a repetitive part of my job that does not require my full attention I let my mind wander. I am constantly building stuff (mostly 4x4s or guns) in my head.
    Just anything that amuses you. It works for me anyway.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,622 Senior Member
    Sometimes, you just forget what you know.

I was a pretty fair baseball player, as a kid, but was prone to getting into a batting 'slump.' It happens when you stop having fun and start to feel the pressure of needing to produce. Kids baseball was a huge spectator sport in the early '60's, where I lived, and I played on a championship team. When I would get into a batting slump, I would lay awake nights, examining every tiny aspect of my batting fundamentals, and I would only get worse. Finally, my dad bought a bag of 'whiffle' golf balls and had me stand in the yard while he stood ten feet away and threw them to me as fast as he could and told me to swing at every one of them. I didn't have time to get in my stance or think about anything. It was a pure hand and eye coordination drill, and it fixed me, every time, because it was fun and it made me relax.

So, go shoot some clay pigeons with a shotgun, or play Army with a BB gun and the little plastic Army men. You are just in a slump, and you need to forget the mechanics for a while and just go back to where you were when all the little tips and tricks you learned were helping you, and re-learn what you know, and have some fun doing it.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,084 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Your dad and his dad, were wrong. Take time to hunt, shoot, fish. Working constantly sucks ass and will kill you.
    As my granddaddy told my Dad, and as my Dad told me.....

Son, you need to work to live. You don't need to live to work.

Both men hunted, fished, etc. Lots of wisdom there. Granddaddy was also the one who informed my Dad, who told my brother, "Son, a dull knife is a useful as a limp ...."

Lots of wisdom there.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • dlddld Member Posts: 377 Member
    Buffy print this and give to your wife

Buffy needs time off to relax and recharge his batteries or he will burn out and you will have to replace him.

If he gets said time off you can work him harder all the other days. It is a Win-Win situation for both of you.

Remember when you flog him leave no marks and no one will believe him:fan:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    dld wrote: »
    Buffy print this and give to your wife

Buffy needs time off to relax and recharge his batteries or he will burn out and you will have to replace him.

If he gets said time off you can work him harder all the other days. It is a Win-Win situation for both of you.

Remember when you flog him leave no marks and no one will believe him:fan:

Hell, that is the part he likes.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    Babysitting other people's brat kids and working for a bunch of incompetent, ungrateful donkeyholes for 30-something years gave me two heart attacks and nearly killed me. Nobody's tombstone ever read "I wish I had spent more time at work". I'm going to enjoy whatever time I've got left above ground, and the people who would be happy to work me to death can take an airborne fornication at a rotationally-motivated piece of pastry! You need to develop a similar attitude!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,498 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I didn't know you were Austrailan?
    If he was Australian, he would have said ewe's.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    BRASSFF

Get into position with the rifle shouldered, look down the sights, they should be somewhere near the POA, then....

B -- breath in

R -- release the breath

A -- aim, while you are releasing the air, your sights should be settling to your aimpoint

S -- STOP breathing, just pause when the sight covers the POA. If you are holding your breath through 3-4 heartbeats, start again. If that keeps happening, check NPA

S -- squeeze the trigger

F -- fire, should go off when expected. Not a total surprise, but not a trigger jerk, like you are flicking a light switch to get it to go RIGHT NOW. Just even pressure and for the most part the bang can be ignored.

F -- I add a second F to the Corps training that seems to work. Follow through. After the bang, you should be in near the same position and you should force yourself to be there. If you dont, your natural reaction is to pull off position when it goes bang, and when you get frustrated, you can come out of position before the bullet leaves the bbl.

Total time from B-F, 3-4 seconds

This all happens after you get a natural point of aim, NPA. If you are forcing the rifle to cover the target with your muscles, you are going to shoot poorly. It should already be sitting real close to POA.
    zorba wrote: »
    Hey Teach - a dumb, clueless, n00000000000b question: I tend to take a couple, but let the "last one" out normally, then take a half breath IN and hold.

Any difference? I can't think of one, but I'm asking.
    Letting it out will work better. You let your sights settle across the target and STOP when they are there. The thing you are trying to avoid is pushing or pulling the sight to be on target. The more muscle you put in, the more human error you inject. When you draw air in, you are using your chest muscles to pull. You have to stop, then return to a relaxed state where when letting air out you only need to stop.
    Once you get used to it, you can really feel it. Its like things are moving, the air goes out, sights line up, the air stops, squeeze, bang, recover. I am sure in your case that there is a move you do where there are X steps to follow and when you hit the last one it was like you zoned out and it worked because you have done it so may times. Same thing, just a different set of steps to follow and PRACTICE
13»