Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Obama allows US hostage families to pay ransoms

shushshush Senior MemberPosts: 6,259 Senior Member
This could be a very slippery slope to start down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33260645

"The White House has announced changes to how the government handles hostage situations that involve US citizens.

President Barack Obama has directed the US government not to threaten the hostages' families with prosecution if they attempt to pay captors' ransom.

Mr Obama has drawn criticism for the long-standing policy of prohibiting concessions to militant groups.

The shift raises questions about whether it makes US citizens more lucrative targets for hostage-takers."

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    The shift raises questions about whether it makes US citizens more lucrative targets for hostage-takers."

Yea, ya think?

Last time I checked, it was called "treason".
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,105 Senior Member
    He just put a great big target on every U.S. citizen overseas, and an even bigger one on the backs of U.S. service members.

Now, if the ransom money is laced with extremely virulent anthrax spores or other such biowarfare stuff, then I'd be all for it. They will kill the hostages anyway, and using something like anthrax on the money would show how the money is spread and spent. Sort of a Win-Lose-Win. Thinking of a gift that keeps on giving, as it were.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,467 Senior Member
    I think it potentially does make kidnapping more profitable. OTOH, what it actually does is for the government to not prosecute families who are persuaded to pay ransom, taking the government out of individual rights. Not that they were ever actually prosecuted in reality.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Not that they were ever actually prosecuted in reality.

"In Britain, government officials say no one has ever been prosecuted for this but it would be a matter for the police and Crown Prosecution Service to decide."

Is there a need to advertise it?
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,467 Senior Member
    I think maybe the law against it can encourage communication between LE agencies and the families which COULD lead to arrests. Basically, it's an unenforcable law. I don't know if there are state laws against it here in the US, but the executive order mainly addressed overseas kidnapping for ransom. I would think shipping companies paid out huge ransoms to Somali pirates, but I don't know if any of these companies were out of the US.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I've got mixed emotions about this.

I don't think that the government should prosecute anyone who pays ransom for a purely family/personal matter. If they can raise the money and get their loved one back, it would be okay for me.

But I also see the sliding slope -- it may encourage more kidnappings.

Making an announcement about this is silly, regardless. I don't think the US has ever prosecuted someone who did ransom a terrorist kidnap person anyway, right? Better to just be quiet about it and let things go. I don't understand the idea of Obama making it a big publicity point, even to his personal benefit.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Maybe we could persuade them to kidnap old bat ears- - - - -it would be interesting to see how much Moochelle would ,pay to get him back- - - - -if any!
    Jerry
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,348 Senior Member
    In our past, if you kidnapped a US citizen, you were hunted down and killed. Currently our leaders do nothing and wait for the kidnappers to chop peoples heads off. Allowing families to negotiate is more than nothing, even if I do not think it is the right thing
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Maybe we could persuade them to kidnap old bat ears- - - - -it would be interesting to see how much Moochelle would ,pay to get him back- - - - -if any!
    Jerry

Not sure, but Obammy traded 5 confirmed Terrorist from GITMO for a Deserter. His priorities are backassward.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,996 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I don't think that the government should prosecute anyone who pays ransom for a purely family/personal matter. If they can raise the money and get their loved one back, it would be okay for me.

Here's the grand oversimplification:

Your kid goes through a hippy phase with the Peace Corps and gets napped while off in some toilet corner of the world. You being the Scion of Industry that you are, shell out 25 million dollars (or whatever) for his return and get him back - with the blessing of the U.S. government. All is right with the world, correct?

Well, it WOULD be if that 25 mil was going to fund their Girl Scout troops. Pretty sure that the adage of "it takes money to make money" would apply, and that cash would end up used to buy things like faster boats for piracy or other means of making their next kidnapping more efficient. So how long till the next kid ends up on TV in an orange jumpsuit and a blindfold? Or just simply blown up because Al-Koolaid had a surplus from kidnapping this month and decided to invest in SEMTEX instead?

If Obama actually has a clue (and I'm having my doubts), the message is pretty clear that the nation isn't going to do much acting to stop these clowns.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    If Obama actually has a clue (and I'm having my doubts), the message is pretty clear that the nation isn't going to do much acting to stop these clowns.
    :that::agree: This is the bottom line. Is there anything that idiot won't stoop to?

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I guess kidnapping will become more popular. Craig's List and Pay Pal will get your loved ones home. I wonder if Oblivit gets a kickback. Just when we get to the bottom we discover more stairs going down. Recovery will take a while I'm afraid. :deadhorse: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,787 Senior Member
    This could be a very slippery slope to start down.

We have been in a headlong downward slide since January, 2009. I only hope that there is enough slope left that some grown-up can start applying the brakes in January, 2017.
    bisley wrote: »
    We have been in a headlong downward slide since January, 2009. I only hope that there is enough slope left that some grown-up can start applying the brakes in January, 2017.

Gonna need more than brakes - need retro rockets and a drogue 'chute!

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,348 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Nope, it is impossible to fix...

We have:
    1-Trillions of new debt that is basically impossible to pay back courtesy of the current administration and their bail-outs and economic "boost" spending.
    2-More than 1/2 of the population living off the government either directly with government jobs, providing services as subcontractors/suppliers, or outright on welfare in any of it's flavors
    3-A government structure that grows unchecked with no accountability, based on PR and Marketing with slogans like "War on Drugs" and "War or Terrorism" which are costing us BILLIONS with at best a statistically insignificant pay back.
    3-A majority population that feels no reason to accept any necessary change and is on the average too stupid (which is the segment that is growing unchecked) and uninformed to even ask for it because they do not understand OR FEEL the impact our current course will have on them and their progeny.
    4-Government Royalty that now exclusively works on getting elected or re-elected and unified in both parties on the purpose of self preservation and control of the masses

And so on... Nope there is NO fixing any of this anymore... We have crossed the point of no return and we didn't even feel it...

Quite frankly I'm about one or two elections away from outright giving in and just concentrating on me and my progeny's survival in the new two class system that this country will have in just a few short years. The clues are everywhere, Ex. in NYC you CAN'T get a carry permit, UNLESS you have money and are connected. Sean Hannity has one, no problem... Get it?

Brother, I sure hope that you are mistaken on this. However, I believe you may be more correct than not.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,236 Senior Member
    Nope, it is impossible to fix...

And so on... Nope there is NO fixing any of this anymore... We have crossed the point of no return and we didn't even feel it...

Cal Thomas said this fifteen years ago. Sadly he is correct.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member

Quite frankly I'm about one or two elections away from outright giving in and just concentrating on me and my progeny's survival in the new two class system that this country will have in just a few short years. The clues are everywhere, Ex. in NYC you CAN'T get a carry permit, UNLESS you have money and are connected. Sean Hannity has one, no problem... Get it?
    Yup.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    pjames777 wrote: »
    Cal Thomas said this fifteen years ago. Sadly he is correct.

True. The sad part is that most Americans don't know that. They're too busy feeding their families and trying to making a living. If extra-terrestrials landed on the White lawn, many wouldn't give it a thought. Sad!
    N320AW wrote: »
    ...... If extra-terrestrials landed on the White lawn, many wouldn't give it a thought. Sad!

They have.

One took office.
    If there was more of this,

10505480_10203662495472271_6898392000691167217_n_zpsjpktsq2b.jpg

then there'd be less of that hostage takin' stuff going on.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Think of the collateral damage.

Think of the camels.
    Think of the collateral damage.

Think of the camels.

I hate Camels. They are unfiltered....................:tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    I hate Camels. They are unfiltered....................:tooth:

Smoke me, you bad boy;

TgsSexyCamel1216.jpg

:whip2:
    Smoke me, you bad boy;

TgsSexyCamel1216.jpg

:whip2:

My reply was interrupted by the daily unannounced power outage; had one of those every day since the 19th.

Anyway...............that particular situation looks like a job for Buffy. He has those special boots to silently climb barn stalls. :roll2:
    ― Douglas Adams