Saw a rare trapdoor today

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 10,067 Senior Member
It was a 20 ga. shotgun, a "Forager's Gun" from post 1881, which was on the breechblock. I thought it was nothing much until I looked it up. Seems like they were issued to troops west of the Mississippi for table-food for the troops. This one was in fair shape, metal was fine on the outside, I didn't see it inside. Stock was only fair, had been minor repair. The gun had been restored, reportedly with original parts. It looked fine to me. The owner didn't go into detail about repairs and I thought he had a parts gun that had been repaired, but wow!

Value was listed as $2300, I think. (given the condition, max was $3K). Only around 1300 made, on orders from Sherman after the war. You can see some odd things in a LGS.
Not too many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,009 Senior Member
    NICE! I love my trapdoors! Amazing how good they still shoot! I've talked to old timers who hunted using .410 shells in them.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Know I've run my mouth about this before, but......
    When I was a kid growing up my Grandad who reared me had an 1872 trapdoor hidden in the loft. It was one that his Dad (my Ggrandad, Capt. John Blackstone Pouncey, 44th Ga. Vols.) had taken off a Union soldier who was guarding the polling place at Spring Hill, Alabama when the "Great Barbour County Election Riot" took place in November 1874. My Grandad hid it because he considered it stolen US government property, and didn't want it found if his whiskey still location was compromised. He died while I was at sea in the Navy, and the trapdoor was stolen before I could get home. Sure wish I had it now! Given my background and the present state of affairs here in the Deep South, I might have to leave and move to Americana, Brazil! Sure would like to have it to take with me!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,067 Senior Member
    I'd like to have a Trapdoor in 45-70 to shoot. They're supposed to be very accurate and are pretty light-weight for the time. I remember when you could get them for $175 in great condition back when $175 was for me a weeks pay. Couldn't afford one then and can't now.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06