Nevada Antelope Mount is Done

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 7,341 Senior Member
...and it looks mighty fine. The taxidermist shot and sent a couple of pics from inside of his shop, which resides just outside of Reno. I paid a little more than I normally would for a shoulder mount on the recommendation of a trusted friend: a guy who just so happened to shoot the #1 NV desert big horn sheep of the 2014 season (which also ended up being the #2 all-time Nevada desert big horn). He had a full body mount of his 185 6/8" sheep done by this taxidermist and said that he absolutely trusts him. When I got emails from said taxidermist requesting pictures and specific details of my antelope's appearance, I knew I was in good hands. From a distance, it looks like he did a great job.

Antelope%20mount%20-%20front_zpsvehxausg.jpg

Antelope%20mount%20-%20side_zpsvpsfv2sq.jpg
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,750 Senior Member
    Great mount! Find a place of honor for that.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,841 Senior Member
    :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    :worthy:

Beautiful, but you SUCK so bad!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,909 Senior Member
    :cool2:That looks very nice from where I am sitting.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,597 Senior Member
    Pretty mount!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,539 Senior Member
    Very nice. Goats make for such great shoulder mounts.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,047 Senior Member
    Nicely done...can't beat someone who knows what they're doing....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,341 Senior Member
    Thanks, guys. It's another great memory for a hunt that really exceeded my expectations. I may get frustrated with how long it takes to draw a tag in Nevada, but there's no denying that having only 22 other tag holders in your entire unit when you do draw, in this case, makes for a helluva hunt.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »

They really do. I'll be honest: I've wanted one shoulder mounted ever since I saw how beautiful yours turned out. In fact, I even wanted a straight-on pose like you have. The only reason I went with a sneak is that taxidermist just about demanded that he get a chance to show the bold, black cheek patches on my particular cape. Otherwise, I find that in nature, they usually stare at you straight ahead, just like yours looks.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Nicely done...can't beat someone who knows what they're doing....
    Amen to that. I've been the victim of poor taxidermy in the past, and there's just no recovering once the work is already done. Do your homework and get some references before you ship off your one-of-a-kind critter.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,517 Senior Member
    Great mount :up::up:

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,966 Senior Member
    Very nice
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,657 Senior Member
    Wow That looks fantastic
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Wow That looks fantastic

It certainly does!

Excellent trophy to remember the hunt by, Luis.

.............but you are gonna need another room to house the trophies you bring back from 'Down Under'...............if and when you finally get here...............:roll: :deadhorse: :tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,681 Senior Member
    Nice mount!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,481 Senior Member
    Looks great!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »

Goats are nice but sheep are beautiful!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    orchidman wrote: »
    It certainly does!

Excellent trophy to remember the hunt by, Luis.

.............but you are gonna need another room to house the trophies you bring back from 'Down Under'...............if and when you finally get here...............:roll: :deadhorse: :tooth:
    I'll have to see what I'm able to bring back when I get out there. I think my wife is about to pummel me if I get any more mounts that require a vaulted ceiling! :tooth:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,597 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I want to hunt speed goats. I don't give a RIP about hunting Africa. Not all that interested in elk. But I want to hunt aunty-lopes.

It's muy fun.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,539 Senior Member
    I want to hunt speed goats. I don't give a RIP about hunting Africa. Not all that interested in elk. But I want to hunt aunty-lopes.

It's been said by some that hunting antelope is the most fun you can have with your pants on. Oh wait, I said that.

It also assumes you will wear pants while hunting them.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Africa is amazing, if for no other reason than the variety of critters there are to hunt. Factor in the fact that if you usually see big numbers of game and it gets even better. Hell, I would go back there just to predator hunt - it was that good.

Elk, are very tough most of the time. Low success rates in extremely tough country. I can see where it might not stir someone's pot to chase them.

Goats are a different story, especially during rifle season, and even more different when you factor in each state's season. Nevada's late-August buck season is right in the heart of the rut. In most units, it's going to be an extremely easy hunt, with quality (specifically, how long you are wiling to wait for what you're after) being the lone mitigating factor in a short hunt vs. a long one. At that time of year, you can still have bucks hanging on public land way late into the season, especially in a low tag-allocation unit. I found that picking an individual buck out and being the only guy after him is a doable game to play. That is highly different from the description JerryBobCo and Linefinder the way you will hunt and see bucks in Colorado. Their rifle season doesn't start until early October, after the rut is done. You need to get on them quickly because once the gunfire starts, they get spooky quickly and have no incentive to hang around. Linefinder said he greatly prefers a little pressure during the hunt purely to keep them moving and accessible. He also told me that it gets exceptionally tough if you don't score in the first weekend, as by that point the sight of a truck will have them running well before you are even remotely within stalking or shooting range. All in all, your mileage and hunting style may vary.
    I don't wear pants hunting deer, why would it be different with antegoats?

I want to be able to see one, then put the sneak on it.
    That DOESN'T happen here in Missouri during deer season. Our deer hunting, is more like deer surprising. Which I'm cool with, it's how it's done here. When you can't see much further than 50 yards, you don't have a lot of options.

Stalking goats can be done one of several ways, none of which I have actually used since I damned near drove up to mine before getting on foot for all of about 4 steps and taking a shot. The method that I tested sans weapon after my hunt concluded really isn't much of a stalk at all: it's the zig-zag approach. Unpressured goats don't seem to mind a guy walking parallel to them until he gets without about 200 yards. I found a lone buck and began to walk toward him at an extremely subtle angle, but mostly parallel, starting about 450 yards out. I was checking on him out of the corner of my eye, and while he was watching me, he really wasn't concerned. Once I got about 200 yards past him, I would turn and make another cut past him, closing the gap ever slightly along my path. I repeated this until I got a little inside of 200 yards. The buck finally decided to trot away a bit, maybe 25 yards, but then realized that there was no way in hell I could ever catch him and went back to just watching me. I managed to get even closer during the next pass and, at that point, I quit, realizing that he would've been quite dead at the range he was sitting. I'll tuck that one away for future use.

The other way is the good, old fashion, traditional stalk: use the terrain and undulations in the earth to overcome the lack of brush and trees in most of antelope country. MileHighShooter supposedly did an excellent job of this one several years ago when he did a long, low crawl and plugged a goat using the nap of the earth.

I have heard of variations on both of the above. Some archery hunters like to use decoys, others simply use take a white handkerchief to get a curious goat to stay still as they approach them. then you have the dudes taking their lives into their own hands using one of those decoy hats to get really close.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    Nice Goat Six-Gun, what's the horn length? Looks like he has good prongs & mass as well. Congrats!
    I gotta tape it again. It was 15" in the field, but I hear these horns are notorious for losing size during dry time. As soon as it gets here I'm going to tape it again. The mass that carried through to the tips was probably the biggest eye-draw when I picked this one out.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I gotta tape it again. It was 15" in the field, but I hear these horns are notorious for losing size during dry time. As soon as it gets here I'm going to tape it again. The mass that carried through to the tips was probably the biggest eye-draw when I picked this one out.

I saw that too, he's real heavy above the prong. I guessed him around 15"+. Again, nice antelope!
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,161 Senior Member
    Fantastic

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    You have done well Luis, congratulations...........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • jwv2001jwv2001 Member Posts: 125 Member
    Where in Nevada were you hunting?
    .....if evil men were not now and then slain it would not be a good world for weaponless dreamers. --Kipling
    Thanks again, fellas. This mount is now hanging proudly on my basement wall, just outside of my workshop/reloading room.

jwv2001 - my hunting unit was just outside of the Nevada Test and Training Range, right on its northwest corner.