Whats the difference between a .280 and a .270?.........

robert38-55robert38-55 Senior MemberPosts: 3,621 Senior Member
Someone told me a while back that a .280 and a .270 were about the same, but over the years, the .270 has/had a better record!..
What do Ya'll folks think?... My son and I both own a .270 and Love that caliber.
"It is what it is":usa:

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,725 Senior Member
    Wait for it, wait for it....:fan:

In the real the real world not much difference at all. Just better bullet selection in the .280 rem/7mm Express. But in the interweb, the difference between a true dangerous game gun and a barely adequate prairie dog round.....:tooth:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    [h=2]Whats the difference between a .280 and a .270?.........[/h]007.jpg

And a better/broader selection of high BC bullets.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,759 Senior Member
    The .280 is actually a 7mm at .284. The .280 started out as the 7mm Remington Express, and was finally renamed the .280 Remington. It is based on the .30-06 case, like the .270 Winchester, which is really .277. Bullet selection for the .280 is much superior in comparison to the .270, but the .270 bullet selection is improving.

The .280 is a fine and versatile cartridge capable of taking anything in North America.
    The .270 bounces off coyotes, and really infuriates groundhogs shot with it. Groundhogs asked have said it hurts like being snapped with a big rubber band and stings a bit.
    :tooth: :tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,041 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    The .280 is actually a 7mm at .284. The .280 started out as the 7mm Remington Express, and was finally renamed the .280 Remington. It is based on the .30-06 case, like the .270 Winchester, which is really .277. Bullet selection for the .280 is much superior in comparison to the .270, but the .270 bullet selection is improving.

The .280 is a fine and versatile cartridge capable of taking anything in North America.
    The .270 bounces off coyotes, and really infuriates groundhogs shot with it. Groundhogs asked have said it hurts like being snapped with a big rubber band and stings a bit.

I thought the .270 was based on the 30-03 rather than the 06. Not a whole lot of difference, but some.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L wrote: »
    I thought the .270 was based on the 30-03 rather than the 06. Not a whole lot of difference, but some.

That is true about the .30-03, but the .30-03 only survived for three years, and was replaced by the .30-06. Only real difference between the -03 and the -06 case is that the -03 had a very long neck.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,478 Senior Member

Don't believe this, Robert. Everyone knows that groundhogs can't talk.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,701 Senior Member
    The only comparison I could find on the net says the 280 is like being kicked in the goolies by a 250lb wrestler wearing steel capped boots taking a 3 step running start as opposed to the 270 which is like being kicked in the same place by an 8lb baby girl wearing marshmallows for boots.

I guess a kicking is a kicking............

( Sorry Buford, I lost the link )
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Don't believe this, Robert. Everyone knows that groundhogs can't talk.

Likely the funniest post of what will be a long thread.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,895 Senior Member
    Be real men get a 30-06 and stop playing with lesser rifles :deadhorse:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Only queers and sissies (and women) use the .270.

So you have to be more queer and a bigger sissie to use a wanna be .270, or rather 7mm-08?

I've shot em both the .270 and 7m-08 and a .280 and with the right powder and load the .270 will out perform the 7-08, especially with the 150 grain bullet. It's about like comparing the difference in a .30-06 and a .308 when it comes to the heavier bullets for caliber.

The .280 is one of my favorites. And yes, you can get bullets for a .280 as heavy as 175 grain at least. Of course, it's going to be about 200 or 300 FPS slower than a 150 grain .270. So, I personally have no need for any bigger bullets for my .270. Those 130, 140, and 150 grain bullets have been killing about every deer that has ever walked out in front of it for almost 50 years.

And even in my .280 I've never had any desire for a heavier bullet than 150 grains. Even a 160 grain slows it down to the point that even the higher BC of the 160 won't make up for its lack of velocity. I'll save the heavier bullets for my 7 mag.

And there's not enough difference in the .270 and .280 to be worth flinging all this dung over.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,725 Senior Member
    But that's what we do here isn't it?

If if not all should buy the following:
    22 rifle
    22 handgun
    shotgun 12 ga
    rifle 308 or 30-06
    centerfire revolver 357 mag
    Done, all other guns are worthless to talk about.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    Sounds like cpj is jealous. Everybody knows that a 270 is the BEST deer load around.
    cpj wrote: »
    Only queers and sissies (and women) use the .270.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD

Uh! Uh! Not correct. The .280 started out as the .280 Remington. But they mostly chambered the 742 and 760 Remington rifles with it and the Semi Auto and Pump actions could have problems extracting cases on hotter loads. So they kept the pressures low. Then about 1978 or 1979 (it may have been earlier, not sure) somebody at Remington decided that since the .280 was being offered in more and more bolt guns that they should make a hotter factory ammo offering. So they made higher pressure rounds under the name 7mm Remington Express. That's what confused some people and I guess Remington got all anal retentive over the thought of more law suits and they dropped the 7mm Remington Express name, and went back to calling everything that would fit and shoot in a .280 chambered rifle a .280 Remington.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Someone told me a while back that a .280 and a .270 were about the same, but over the years, the .270 has/had a better record!..
    What do Ya'll folks think?... My son and I both own a .270 and Love that caliber.

.270Win had better marketing, me thinks and that relates to broader use and sales "success". The .280Rem was renamed and called 7mm Express and later back .280Rem. Confusion mixed with sales to customers is a no no.

I do have to concede, although I own and lover a Remington CDL in .280, that if .270 rifles were made fast twist and bullets were available in the 165gr to 175gr region, you'd have some very sweet BC bullets in the 6.8mm/.277 caliber family. But such is not the case.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    One more tidbit about the .280 is that it isn't quite the same case as a .270. It's about .050 longer from the rim to where the case starts to meet the shoulder, as was done to prevent someone chambering a .280 round in a .270 chambered rifle.
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    .270Win had better marketing, me thinks and that relates to broader use and sales "success". The .280Rem was renamed and called 7mm Express and later back .280Rem. Confusion mixed with sales to customers is a no no.

I do have to concede, although I own and lover a Remington CDL in .280, that if .270 rifles were made fast twist and bullets were available in the 165gr to 175gr region, you'd have some very sweet BC bullets in the 6.8mm/.277 caliber family. But such is not the case.

Such is now the case. Matrix is making both 165 and 175 grain Spitzer bullets for the .270 and there's some barrel makers beginning to make 1:9 and 1:8 twist barrels for it.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Such is now the case. Matrix is making both 165 and 175 grain Spitzer bullets for the .270 and there's some barrel makers beginning to make 1:9 and 1:8 twist barrels for it.

Interesting. I wish them well. It'll be hard to convince .270Win folks to do anything to better their situation when they are so accustomed to limp wristed decision making. :tooth:

Seriously, that will make the .277 bullet family world's better.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    One more tidbit about the .280 is that it isn't quite the same case as a .270. It's about .050 longer from the rim to where the case starts to meet the shoulder, as was done to prevent someone chambering a .280 round in a .270 chambered rifle.

Yeah, squeezing a bullet down 0.007" in a normal rifle wouldn't be a problem, normally. Shouldn't do it on a regular basis, but probably no damage from doing so. However, chambering the extremely powerful .280 Remington in a rifle chambered for .270 Winchester would probably end in the rifle disappearing in a cloud of steel confetti so fine that none could be recovered without a powerful magnet. The look on the shooters face would be priceless; left holding a rifle stock devoid of any part of action or barrel. Just Bang!, POOF!, and an extremely puzzled look on his face. :rotflmao:

Yeah, squeezing a bullet down 0.007" in a normal rifle wouldn't be a problem, normally. Shouldn't do it on a regular basis, but probably no damage from doing so. However, chambering the extremely powerful .280 Remington in a rifle chambered for .270 Winchester would probably end in the rifle disappearing in a cloud of steel confetti so fine that none could be recovered without a powerful magnet. The look on the shooters face would be priceless; left holding a rifle stock devoid of any part of action or barrel. Just Bang!, POOF!, and an extremely puzzled look on his face. :rotflmao:

I can't see anyone who shoots a .270 having the wrist strength to close a 280 in their gun...
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    As I posted once before, the actual dia. of 7mm is .2756, which is slightly smaller than a .277, 7.2mm is .2835.
    Having hunted for almost 65 years, at the ranges I shoot game (300yds or less) I cant see any difference between a .270, .280, & .30-06.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Uh! Uh! Not correct. The .280 started out as the .280 Remington. But they mostly chambered the 742 and 760 Remington rifles with it and the Semi Auto and Pump actions could have problems extracting cases on hotter loads. So they kept the pressures low.

Yeah, I didn't bother to look it up. The .280 has had more name problems than Liz Taylor has had husbands. The .280 Rem. holds about the same interest for me as the .270 Win...............and neither one is a .30-06, so........

But I find the 7mm-08 rather sexy. Short action, plenty of speed, lighter rifle. What's not to like? With my absolutely longest shot that I could safely make on the farm the .30-06 is more than plenty, and the 70 yard max range on the ridge is just fine for the 7mm-08. At that 70 yard max range I'm overgunned with a .30-30. But, whatever.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,943 Senior Member
    The .280 was invented by someone who perhaps drank a little too much Reisling.

The .270 was invented by someone who plunked an LSD tab into his bong water.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    jaywapti wrote: »
    As I posted once before, the actual dia. of 7mm is .2756, which is slightly smaller than a .277, 7.2mm is .2835.
    Having hunted for almost 65 years, at the ranges I shoot game (300yds or less) I cant see any difference between a .270, .280, & .30-06.

JAY

:uhm:

A .280Rem bullet is larger than a .270Win bullet.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,659 Senior Member
    One other difference is the SAAMI max pressure. 280's is 58,740 PSI and 270's is 65,000 PSI (per QL)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    :uhm:

A .280Rem bullet is larger than a .270Win bullet.

Yep your right.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Yep your right.

JAY

Unless I read it wrong, your post stated the opposite.
    That is true about the .30-03, but the .30-03 only survived for three years, and was replaced by the .30-06. Only real difference between the -03 and the -06 case is that the -03 had a very long neck.

And also, when you resize a 30-06 case to a .270 the neck grows somewhat.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,701 Senior Member
    And also, when you resize a 30-06 case to a .270 the neck grows somewhat.

That's because 270 owners always stick their neck out when their calibre of choice is disparaged............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    I can't see anyone who shoots a .270 having the wrist strength to close a 280 in their gun...

Ah, but is that a challenge to an arm wrestling match? :tooth: