Home Main Category Clubhouse

Television programs you once enjoyed, and now realize are AntiGun...

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
I was watching "The Rifleman" and noticed how Anti Gun the show really is, Lucas McCain does not want his son Mark to learn how to shoot or even have any type of firearms, even for hunting... Or any old West type show and gun control Dodge city style, imposed by Sheriffs or Marshals......

One of my all time favorite medical shows was Quincy, noticed how Anti Gun it really is.......

Most Police shows from 1970 to the present, MOD SQUAD ??? What was I thinking???

I can't really understand how I ever watched and even enjoyed those Anti Gun Television shows...

Emergency did however, spark my desire to one day serve in EMS......
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,871 Senior Member
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    TV is entertainment if I enjoyed it who cares.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I'm not influenced much by what I see on TV, so I don't worry about it, if they tell a good story, with likeable characters. I do try to point out the errors in logic to anyone who seems to be taking the propaganda seriously.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I'm not influenced much by what I see on TV, so I don't worry about it, if they tell a good story, with likeable characters. I do try to point out the errors in logic to anyone who seems to be taking the propaganda seriously.

I pretty much agree.

I also don't think that the show were specifically anti-gun. I just think that guns weren't a political issue that they are nowadays, no big thing, just that the shows were less violent than today and therefore not as much gunplay.

I remember reading that Chips had a rule that the 2 cycle cops could never use their guns. But I think it was just that they wanted the show to be acceptable to a younger and broader audience, and the level of violence in TV shows in that era was a lot lower overall.

I asked this question a long time ago: Where in ANY modern-era TV show have you seen a citizen using a gun for "good"? The only instance I can remember, ever, was on "24" where Jack Bauer was helped by this family who owned a gun shop and gave him weapons and helped shoot the baddies.

Naturally, with many shows set in NYC, guns are verboten anyway. Countless Law&Disorder episodes had a gun stolen from some rich guy's closet and used to kill innocent children or some other awful thing. But the whole "gardening show -- Lawn Order" was anti-gun for sure.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,446 Senior Member
    I've been watching alot of the old westerm reruns since they've been showing them to DTV.

with re to the Rifleman and being anti gun, i would say yes and no. To me its about the time/era the show portrays and how McCain doesnt want his son have to KILL someone like he has had to do in his lifetime. He also dint want to give him a gun just because his sone watned one, but when he was ready for one.

McGyver was another anti gun show, but i liked to watch it anyway since there want much on at the time and i was always interested to see how McGyver would get out of the next situation with Duct Tape and whatever else he could find at hand. I always wanted to try the chewing gum wrapper trick on a blown fuse, but my common sense tells me to just use the replacement at hand.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,064 Senior Member
    I saw an episode of Paladin, Have Gun Will Travel, that today may be considered anti-gun. When a young man, east coast educated, became sheriff in a small western town and tried to ban all guns in town. Paladin tried to convince him it was a bad idea since the good citizens would be vulnerable to criminal type who ignore the law. Off course a gang of ruffians tried to take over the town and Paladin save the young sheriff and the town. When I think about it, we have the same arguments today about disarming citizens, so it was more pro-gun.
    I've seen the Rifleman episode you mentioned, and like most of the episodes, it was more of a life lesson for Mark and all the other youngsters that age watching the show.
    I can't stand any off the drivel on network TV these days. Nothing worth watching on ABC or NBC, and only watch Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, and a few comedies on CBS.
  • Gator MonroeGator Monroe Banned Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Mod Squad, Ironside, Time Tunnel, Lost in Space, Adam 12, ...
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Lost in space not so much, the had all manner of laser guns and everyone could carry them if they saw the need...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Rat Patrol, Combat, Wyatt Earp, Cherokee, Big Valley, Gunsmoke, Wanted Dead or Alive, Paladin..........no anti here....
    The Rifleman was a strange show, I can't see how his son could not have a rifle for hunting etc, even when Mark wanted a single shot .22 rifle his father got all bent out of shape about it.... It is not like Mark wanted to walk around town with a gun, it seemed like Lucas acted like a NYC dude, as far as guns...
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    The Rifleman was a strange show, I can't see how his son could not have a rifle for hunting etc, even when Mark wanted a single shot .22 rifle his father got all bent out of shape about it....

That will be down to the script writers, every time.
    I noticed for the first time, there are two types of rifles Chuck used in the show, one is the usual style lever gun with the extra large loop, and another with a set screw that adjusts to hit the trigger, so when Chuck worked the lever, it would also fire, giving a high rate of fire since he only has to work the lever.....
    Anyone else notice this ?
    Yes.

The one that bugs me the most is Josh Randall's sawed off Winchester. First, it's stupid for a gunfighter - too slow for the second shot, and second, it's a .44-40 and he carries a whole belt full of .45-70 ammo. If he actually did have a .45-70, which wasn't available until much later than the era the show is set in, it wouldn't hold but 3-4 rounds, at most.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,339 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Yes.

it wouldn't hold but 3-4 rounds, at most.

3...1 in the chamber and 2 in the magazine...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,080 Senior Member
    Lucas McCaine killed more people than Hitler. Every show, it was another body or two.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    The A-Team.
    Watching the A-team, I was convinced not to buy a Ruger Mini-14 because George Peppard couldn't hit anything or anyone with it.
    Watching the A-team, I was convinced not to buy a Ruger Mini-14 because George Peppard couldn't hit anything or anyone with it.

They were firing over people's heads, they were not trying to kill anyone !

I bought a stainless steel Mini 14 Ranch Rifle, not the carbine used in the A-Team, at a local Police equipment store, and a parkerized Remington 1100, I was offered a smoking deal I could not pass up on both guns, they just wanted to be rid of both guns.

And yes, that Mini 14 was very accurate.
    I put a Mil scope on it, and shot very well with it, sold it at a tidy profit with a slather of magazines.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,510 Senior Member
    I was watching "The Rifleman" and noticed how Anti Gun the show really is,

I always figured a show calling a guy who rolls with a pistol caliber carbine a "rifleman" was automatically suspect anyway. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Well, you see his attitude towards his son learning how to shoot, or having his own gun,, and Mark is what 13 ?
    I don't think any of the father's here did that with their children.

In any case, my second question was if anyone had noticed the rifle with the set screw, so when Lucas worked the lever, it could fire without pulling the trigger.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I always figured a show calling a guy who rolls with a pistol caliber carbine a "rifleman" was automatically suspect anyway. . .

But "Carbineman" just wouldn't work....
    In any case, my second question was if anyone had noticed the rifle with the set screw, so when Lucas worked the lever, it could fire without pulling the trigger.

Most everyone here had that figured out when the show was on in prime time...
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Most everyone here had that figured out when the show was on in prime time...

Yea you could see that rifle quite a bit. I took my Winchester 9422 to a gunsmith and explained what I wanted done. He said you want me to modify this rifle so that it fires when the action is closed. I said yes he said NO. I found someone that will do it but I'm looking at large loop levers, they sure don't give those away. Not even sure the modification would be legal out here in Ca.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,080 Senior Member
    I saw this done with a CAS rifle. Also, as a kid back when, I saw a cap rifle designed after The Rifleman rifle. It had a nifty lever-thing on the rifle lever you could flip up to actuate the trigger, better than a set screw. It fit the trigger just fine.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L wrote: »
    I saw this done with a CAS rifle. Also, as a kid back when, I saw a cap rifle designed after The Rifleman rifle. It had a nifty lever-thing on the rifle lever you could flip up to actuate the trigger, better than a set screw. It fit the trigger just fine.

I had that little lever on a Browning BLR loved that rifle as a child. Would talk to the bad guys down the trail and then let loose with that Browning. Always had a pocket full of 22s when I was out and about. Disappeared when I enlisted in the military pretty sure little brother sold it. I cant find that little lever modification anywhere so I'm going to have to go with the set screw.
    I had that
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I never noticed A team being particularly anti gun. Hell they shot 40,000 rounds per episode and haven't hit anything yet. If that's anti gun, maybe so, but I figure that's a good case for needed practice.

Now McGyver was a different story. That guy made a lot of anti gun comments in his personal life.

Other than these the whole lot of the major networks is officially Anti gun. I don't watch anything except an occasional football game or golf tournament on the main streem media. I usually watch FOX News.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    He WAS a NYC dude!!! Born in Brokklyn, NY! First cousin to my FIL but he was a bit older than my FIL so he used to babysit him. Needless to say my FIL knew him well, told me he was a heck of a nice guy when he was a young man.

All the script and story line on those shows had nothing to do with the actors politics usually, unless the actor was also a producer or director. That was cast in stone by the powers that be and the actor followed suit if he wanted work.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    He WAS a NYC dude!!! Born in Brokklyn, NY! First cousin to my FIL but he was a bit older than my FIL so he used to babysit him. Needless to say my FIL knew him well, told me he was a heck of a nice guy when he was a young man.

I think his horse handlers had a few jokes at his expense. Whenever he did a galloping scene, they had him on the smallest horse they could find, with the stirrups adjusted way too high. He was by far the worst horseman of all the TV cowboys, with Matt Dillon a close second. Of course they were both 6'6" or more, so that could be a factor.
    It's hard to judge the true beliefs of some actors. They know that to get work, they have to tow the line. They can't be vocal about any conservative beliefs or they will be in a soup line. Some of the older, more successful ones, such as Jon Voigt and Bruce Willis let people know they have conservative beliefs but they are extremely successful and get work regardless. But some of those lower on the food chain have to comform to Hollywood liberalism to be on the work list. Then again, many of them are just totally air head Libtards.
    Gene L wrote: »

I had one of those until some jerk stole it. It was cool. It had the big loop lever too.