Home Main Category Clubhouse

Daughter update!

tubabucknuttubabucknut BannedPosts: 3,520 Senior Member
Got several good updates this week.
First was Pulmonary. Good lung tissue growth. This is greatly reducing the need for supplemental oxygen. It also helps lessen the hyper tension.

Cardio. The ASD(hole in her hear) is showing continued signs of closing on its own. This is helped by the improvement in her hypertension. The ASD is not needed as much as a pressure relief valve. Surgery may no longer be required. Time will tell.

Eyes. We just got back today from a trip to the Duke Eye Care Center. While her eyes themselves are not growing, her head is responding well to the use of conformers. The need for very invasive surgery later in life is very minimal. Her surgeon is very happy with her ocular orbit growth, as well as the openings of her eyes themselves.

Lauren is unlikely to be decannulated this year. She will likely need the trach through the winter, and will be decannulated in the spring. There is still a chance for this year. She has until Sept. The ENT(ear nose and throat) will not decannulate through the winter.

From a neuro standpoint. Her Neurologist is trying to optimize a drug for some seizure activity she is experiencing from the brain damage. It is now pretty apparent the brain damage is more permanent rather than temporary. Lauren is still showing improvement, and learns daily. The pace is just incredibly slow. We continue to work with rehab, and several therapists to learn how to teach her to do new things.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,862 Senior Member
    Continuing prawers
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,183 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Continuing prawers
    :that:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,646 Senior Member
    Thanks for the positive update. Prayers continue :angel:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,069 Senior Member
    God bless.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    Continued :angel2::angel2:
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    avmech wrote: »
    Continued :angel2::angel2:

Yeah.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,293 Senior Member
    Keeping you and yours in our prayers....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Progress in the right direction in all fronts. A young brain will grow to work around the damage. Will keep the prayers going, your job is to every once in a while post updated pictures of her beautiful smile!

:that:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,401 Senior Member
    Keeping the prayers going for yall
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Thanks all. I know the prayers from you all have helped. I know that many continue to pray for Lauren and us, so I knew you would want the update.

Wambli we keep those thoughts in our mind constantly. The very reason we make two hour drives to Duke is to preserve the chance of vision down the road. The local ocular plastic surgeon wanted to excise her eyes and be done with it. Lauren has two viable optic nerves. If we can keep those healthy, she will see one day. Thanks for the thought and encouragement.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    :angel2:
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Prayers sent.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    :angel2::angel2:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 740 Senior Member
    Prayers continue and thank you for the updates! :angel2:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    :angel2::angel2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,086 Senior Member
    Still Praying:angel2:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11