Home Main Category Clubhouse

laptop hard drive question - computer guys

2»

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Boot DVD / CD

D

Well if he dosen't have a back up of the OS I doubt he would have a boot disk.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Well if he dosen't have a back up of the OS I doubt he would have a boot disk.

Correct -- he already said that he didn't have any backup of the OS. Few computers have a separate OS backup DVD/CD these days, you just get a loaded OS and a certificate.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    However, most people have more than one computer, also, if you load Windows XP onto a new HDD, it will give you enough utilities to get onto the Internet, you can make a boot memory stick on another computer.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,953 Senior Member
    ilove22s wrote: »
    If you really want to do the work yourself there no reason not to. But its not something you can do in a day. Also, if you do decide to do it you may as well learn how the whole unit works and figure out what does what. Sounds good to me. It's something I'm interested in learning more about. Just never have had a reason to try. Thought this might be the opportunity to do that and learn a little.

While youre at it, you may want to look into if the HD can be swapped with a SSHD. That maybe worth doing and at least you can learn something new(er). Also, maybe adding more RAM? I'll look into that. Obviously, I don't really understand what that means. More to learn about...

Software wise, you will want to look into what OS version is the more stable or one where you won't be the beta tester.

I guess my hope was to contact HP and see if I can get a disc with everything on it that my laptop came with new, since it did not come with a disc. It came pre loaded. And I never did create a backup disc or anything. I tried to once, but it told me that disc I was trying to use wasn't big enogh. Also tried putting in on a thumb drive, but that also wasn't big enough. I do have iCloud, but I don't think I ever backed up my system on it. I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the replies. I am reading the comments and looking into the items mentioned a little at a time when I have time to. Thanks guys.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    If you get onto another computer with Internet access, go to HP website then you can enter your service tag, and download the software your computer came with and burn it onto a DVD, this is a bootable disc and all you need is a USB memory stick with utilities to allow you to load the DVD......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    If you get onto another computer with Internet access, go to HP website then you can enter your service tag, and download the software your computer came with and burn it onto a DVD, this is a bootable disc and all you need is a USB memory stick with utilities to allow you to load the DVD......

Awesome. Sounds easy enough. I'll do that. Thanks.