Home Main Category Personal Defense

Cars, a dangerous weapon

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
I know there is nothing that can be done about it, except be more aware.
I was crossing the street tonight, walking as fast as I could, which is pretty slow, small grey Honda blazes up to me as I am crossing and stops inches away from my legs....
I guess the driver figgured I should cross faster, no horn blowing, but recently I have noticed how certain folks seem to want to run over certain other folks, and CCW is no defense against stupid drivers.....
So I guess if you want to not get run over, cross faster !
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,393 Senior Member
    I've been noticing something almost exactly the opposite, and it's become one of my peeves.

Yes, the pedestrian has the right of way - I'm not arguing that - but the last few years I've noticed that lots of pedestrians are becoming passive/aggressive a-holes about it.

It's been my policy my entire life to hustle across intersections if there is a car waiting for me to get across, and I seem to remember this being a pretty common thing to do. Lately, I'm seeing lots - a majority even - of folks not merely not hurry, but practically dawdle as if it's their special privilege to hold you up. I get it if you're old, infirm, or pushing a baby carriage, but these are mostly young, healthy folks.

I dunno. . .maybe it's their cranky way of saying "I don't have a car, and this is my way of saying 'screw you for having yours'".
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I've been noticing something almost exactly the opposite, and it's become one of my peeves.

Yes, the pedestrian has the right of way - I'm not arguing that - but the last few years I've noticed that lots of pedestrians are becoming passive/aggressive a-holes about it.

It's been my policy my entire life to hustle across intersections if there is a car waiting for me to get across, and I seem to remember this being a pretty common thing to do. Lately, I'm seeing lots - a majority even - of folks not merely not hurry, but practically dawdle as if it's their special privilege to hold you up. I get it if you're old, infirm, or pushing a baby carriage, but these are mostly young, healthy folks.

I dunno. . .maybe it's their cranky way of saying "I don't have a car, and this is my way of saying 'screw you for having yours'".

I'm with you on this one. I was beginning to think it was just me. :)
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    It is like the tail gating mentality----intimidation on the highway and street.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    And some take the zig-zag way to cross diagonally taking twice as long. I understand old folks don't scoot very fast.

Sometimes though like in front of a Walmart it seems like they space out their crossings to where you are stuck for a few moments and then again other times drivers speed up just before I step into a X-Walk.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I get that some folks, teens will dawdle crossing the street, even glaring at the driver, etc, I have never done that, however, with the recent fall I just had, crossing the street quickly is not possible.
    Regardless of all that, a car is just a dangerous as a gun, and can kill people.
    That is why I posted this, to remind us of that.

Lately, I have noticed how certain minorities seem to want to run me over...

And even if I was intentionally, which I was not, dawdling while crossing the street, is NO EXCUSE to intentionally run someone over.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Must remember, be cautious when crossing the street.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    I am cautious, however, right now I am also very slow with this here game leg.

I'm seeing lots - a majority even - of folks not merely not hurry, but practically dawdle as if it's their special privilege to hold you up. I get it if you're old, infirm, or pushing a baby carriage, but these are mostly young, healthy folks.

That happens a lot out here. It doesn't seem to happen as much when I'm in Pa.
    The way I get mad dogged I would think they are looking for a Confederate flag or something on my truck.
    Dang Doc, cars nudging close to you in X-walks, falling down and hurting yourself and being circled by naked people on bicycles, what's next? :yikes:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,559 Senior Member

Entitlement.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Dang Doc, cars nudging close to you in X-walks, falling down and hurting yourself and being circled by naked people on bicycles, what's next? :yikes:

Move to Texas and write detective stories ? Joke, ha ha.......
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,188 Senior Member

We have the same thing happening down here. Even stepping off the curb right in front of you.
    What is even worse is watching them diddle dawdle waling up to the school bus that you may not go around
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Cross at the Green, not in between.
    I did, you are talking out of the wrong end again, the northbound end is supposed to do the talking not the southbound end.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    We have cycle paths on the pavement, pedestrians good luck.
    At least in London town, people are moar civilized, if they run you over, they will at least buy you a pint or two....
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    The ones that dawdle and glare don't realize that even though they have the right of way, and will win in a court of law, the laws of physics clearly state that they will lose versus the car, every time.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I did, you are talking out of the wrong end again, the northbound end is supposed to do the talking not the southbound end.

I was built by a committee
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member

Same for cyclists. People riding bicycles seem to have this immunity clause firmly embedded in their heads where brains ought to be. I always see them running stop signs and red lights, and they wonder why so many of them are mowed down or why motorists have such a dim view (in 2 ways) of them.

Couple weeks ago some supercyclist jerk zoomed across my path, running the stop sign cold (I didn't have a sign in my direction) and I came about 3 feet from running him down. Idiot.
    Or when they want be like a pedestrian on sidewalks and then jump into a street and then want to like a vehicle and they go back and forth to take advantage of drivers. Make up their darn minds and think safety would be the best way to pedal around.
    Most here missed the point of the OP, I was NOT referring to rotten pedestrians playing tricks or other bloody rot, only to someone in my hopefully temporarily gimpy condition that is only trying to safely cross the street in accordance with all applicable laws, and waiting to make sure no cars are visible in both directions.

My complaint is that in spite of how careful I am, cars either make turns so I don't see them, or they are racing at enormous speeds, some of these encounters have clearly been racist in nature.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Talking of cars and pedestrians.....................

Over here kids from a very early age are taught to 'Look right, look left then look right' before you step off the curb. ...............................I guess in the USA they are taught to 'look left, look right then look left' before stepping out..............................which is why American tourists in NZ who cross the road on foot always have a surprised look on their faces when the ambulance arrives at the scene...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    People do drive contrary on a one way street, so it is better to treat all crossings as potentially bidirectional for each lane.
    My complaint is that in spite of how careful I am, cars either make turns so I don't see them, or they are racing at enormous speeds, some of these encounters have clearly been racist in nature.

So?

I caught the "race implication" right off the bat. And completely ignored it. Don't be a crybaby like the others that wanna play that card. Suck it up. Move along. There will always be haters in every shape, color, and size.

Welcome to life. All non-hackers need not apply.
    Go pound sand.
    I can guarantee from the way you talk to me never having met me or without knowing my life, if I am a hacker or non hacker you paltry little swat.
    Go pound sand, I doubt you have the stones to talk like that to my face, see who is the crybaby between us both.

Even in a wheelchair with both arms in casts.

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

First, you obviously took greater offense than I intended. Which, explains the crying racist thing, I guess.

My implication was simply...........don't be one of them. Them that cry foul simply because of color. Whatever color that may be.

Man up. And move on. That..........was my intent.

As to the rest of your quote............riiiiiiiiiiiight.

;-)

If you're the man you claim to be. Don't be the baby your portraying. I ain't the bad guy. I'm on your side. What? A friend never talked harsh to you or what? Wow. Must be a sheltered life. I'm not trying to draw lines here. Just giving advise. And I got no problem giving it in person. No reason not to speak truth. And no reason to take offense.
    First of all, events prove what I have said here, crossing the street I have been subjected to attacks by motor vehicle, what else is it when people drive up on you and expect you to jump out of the way?
    Sheltered? In my teen years I was flying to other countries and staying with relatives, almost 10 years in EMS / fire rescue etc... You know nothing about me or my manhood or the lack thereof.
    A44E07DF-963E-4F18-AD8E-4787B8AC7A92_zps345txera.gif
    First of all, events prove what I have said here, crossing the street I have been subjected to attacks by motor vehicle, what else is it when people drive up on you and expect you to jump out of the way?
    Sheltered? In my teen years I was flying to other countries and staying with relatives, almost 10 years in EMS / fire rescue etc... You know nothing about me or my manhood or the lack thereof.

Did you ever think these attacks could be from your charming personality.
    Where does personality come into play simply crossing the street as quickly and as safely as anyone can?
    I am not doing anything but cross the street, no gestures or gang signs or strange clothing etc..
    However, perhaps you do that sort of thing, hence why you bring it up.