Golly gee...this Grendel thing will be addictive...

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,102 Senior Member
An impromptu trip to the range to run through some RL-15 .308Win loads and took along the 6.5 Grendel after giving her a good cleaning (similar breaking cleaning as Zee uses)...

Bear in mind I have no hand rolled ammo yet nor any "quality" name brand ammo, either. I found some 123gr JSP Wolf Gold and some 120gr HPBT PPU ammo.

My first shots with the Wolf Gold...it wouldn't be repeated again this day...

20150628_2118562.jpg

This was more typical of the Wolf Gold:

20150628_2119012.jpg

The PPU surprised me a lot. It shot right at MOA at 100 yards, then gave me this little number...

2015-06-28%2021.08.02.jpg

The HPBT bullets in the ammo look Sierra SMK-ish and apparently track well to the target. They also average 100 fps faster than the Wolf Gold and chrono at a bit over 2500fps.

Now I am REALLY stoked to get some of those 130gr Berger AR Hybrid bullets loaded up.

Oh, and the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle likes 168gr Hornady HPBT over 44.6gr of RL15. Clocks right in the 2515 range.

2015-06-28%2021.00.322.jpg

I'll be zeroing this load and working preliminary DOPE data at 200 yards in preparation for my 600 yard shooting class at the end of July. The instructor is excited to see how the Ruger GSR works out.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Get to loading for that Grendel!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,662 Senior Member
    Jason, Alexander Arms stopped even carrying the 123 Wolf load because it is such a horrendous copper fouler. I found that to be the case in mine also. The 120 MPT load isn't nearly as bad about it.

So the accuracy dropping off after the first group doesn't surprise me in the least.

I'd be curious to know if you got quite a bit of copper fouling out when you cleaned it.

Oh, and FYI, the "wolf" IS Prvi Partizan ammo, just repackaged in a "wolf" box. And while they use large rifle primers, AA (made by Lapua), Lapua and Hornady brass all use small rifle primers, so you'll want to keep the wolf/ppu cases segregated from any other brand.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Jason, Alexander Arms stopped even carrying the 123 Wolf load because it is such a horrendous copper fouler. I found that to be the case in mine also. The 120 MPT load isn't nearly as bad about it.

So the accuracy dropping off after the first group doesn't surprise me in the least.

I'd be curious to know if you got quite a bit of copper fouling out when you cleaned it.

Oh, and FYI, the "wolf" IS Prvi Partizan ammo, just repackaged in a "wolf" box. And while they use large rifle primers, AA (made by Lapua), Lapua and Hornady brass all use small rifle primers, so you'll want to keep the wolf/ppu cases segregated from any other brand.

Thanks for the heads up about primer variations.

As to copper fouling, it wasn't bad. I've also only done two cleanings and only about 20 rounds before each...so nonreal basis for comparison yet. But, the Black Hole Weaponry barrel is polygonal rifled and purports to foul less as a result. We'll see.

My polygonal rifled Glock 30 did copper foul far less than any cut rifled 45 pistol I had.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers