Glocks vs 1911

Replies

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I have had a seizure, I shook like a dog passing a peach pit. But I took the fit a little to far, and over seized.

I'll cover your peach pit and raise you two armpits. You in?
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    I really don't care what y'all think is best.

I know that I can shoot a Glock, but not well. I know that I can shoot a 1911, USP and/or XD well. So I shoot the ones that work best for me.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    randymac wrote: »
    I figured my statement would ruffle some feathers, I am just telling what I have seen,like I said the Glock is a great Gun.
    The Glocks that I saw Jam were not my guns but they did jamb. This was many many years ago and they were 9mm's.
    They (Two different guns) did Jam when they were shot one handed. Maybe it was a bad load ? maybe the gun was dirty? " I am just telling what I saw " and I figured it would start a big debate or ruffle some feathers "All In Fun Guys"
    Any way I still like 1911's better than Glocks, & As I said it was my opinion. Every one has one. I thought this was
    " AMERICA "

m7dz6t.jpg
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Since this is all in (good discussion here,) I still have to admit I have never fired a 1911 but do not see the hype in them. They are huge, bulky and weigh as much as a brick (especially for CCW purposes. And the Glocks...... well they look like a cinder block with a handle on them. JMHO
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Since this is all in (good discussion here,) I still have to admit I have never fired a 1911 but do not see the hype in them. They are huge, bulky and weigh as much as a brick (especially for CCW purposes. And the Glocks...... well they look like a cinder block with a handle on them. JMHO

The 1911 may be heavier when it is a full size steel frame but by no means is it a brick. It is a full size weapon but no means huge. Bulky never, for their full size they are actually slimmer than double stacks and are much easier to conceal with a good holster. The 1911's are elegant in design and just fit the hand so well. Some people don't care for them but do yourself a favor and try firing one if you get a chance and I mean several mags to see why they have such a following.

As to Glocks they are fugly and not what I like to look at, they are dang fuctional. They do the job well and will do it with extreme reliability. Simple, price friendly, dang functional and ultra-reliable ... they have a right to not be the prettiest then.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    if all you worry about is a gun jaming, then you have more issues. imo, if youre going to use a gun for SD, then you better know how to use it properly and that included clearing malfunctions even in revolvers!

do you think our troops have 100% reliable guns? maybe where its nice and clean. but eventhen i doubt it. any gun can malfunction at any time even due to exteranl forces like ammo or user.

fwiw, i was at a range where the local SWAT was practicing using their ARs. They were shooting at various distance from 100 yds to 25yd. guess what i saw where they were firing? lots of loaded rounds on the ground. maybe dropped, or maybe clearing a jam or just practicing, but iac, they were there.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Yeah Im not trying to bash either Glock or the 1911. I have just never understood why there is that big of a following for the 1911. Im more of a rifle shooter than pistol, but still cant think of any rifle I would drool over like some talk about their 1911?????? Maybe Im just a weirdo...... lol. And I would have never thought that any .45ACP would weigh only 25 ounces. Thats surprising.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    I've got a Glock 19 and an STI 1911 in 9mm, and love them both. I have to give the STI the edge but it's bigger, resales for about 2x of the Glock's price, and I baby it.

Until I find a 3" M66, the Glock 19 will be what I reach for to shove in my belt or under the truck seat. However, if Ruger brings out an SR1911 Commander length for about the price the fullsize is going for now, I may jump to the 1911 platform.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member

Until I find a 3" M66

Good Luck, you might be more apt to find a widowed blonde nympho that owns a boat and liquor store and loved shotgunshooters. I have been looking for a 3" 66 for a long time. They are scarce. BBS found a nice 3" 65 a few years ago and won't part with it.
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    Yeah Im not trying to bash either Glock or the 1911. I have just never understood why there is that big of a following for the 1911. Im more of a rifle shooter than pistol, but still cant think of any rifle I would drool over like some talk about their 1911?????? Maybe Im just a weirdo...... lol. And I would have never thought that any .45ACP would weigh only 25 ounces. Thats surprising.

To some in this mob, you definitely are a weirdo. LOL
    I agree with you, some want to hang me for my attitude but I look at most every gun as a tool like a circular saw.
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    ericb wrote: »
    Good Luck, you might be more apt to find a widowed blonde nympho that owns a boat and liquor store and loved shotgunshooters. I have been looking for a 3" 66 for a long time. They are scarce. BBS found a nice 3" 65 a few years ago and won't part with it.

Got one of those...one of my all time favorite revolvers...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member

Glocks are just ugly ducklings and are hard to prop up.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    Everytime I see that KA-BAR and badge I think ... I gotta get me one a them ... :rotflmao:
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I love rifles too but there is just something about 1911's. The little one below is the one that weights in at 25 oz. I put two slugs with the Kimber Custom with the nice grips COM into an IDPA silhouette target at 110 yards in a three gun match (bream was there) for fun because of a bunch of whiners were saying it was too far for shooting iron/red dot sighted ARs. And with the Wilson I rang a 200 meter ram on my second shot (my wife witnessed that one). They just feel right in my hands...

1911s.jpg

Oh, and I drool over mine all the time. The Glock? Well not so much. These are pretty, the Glock is just a hammer :tooth:

This is why you're my brother from another mother.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    This is why you're my brother from another mother.

Yep.......that is a SEXY picture!
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    Larry, you can be his brother as long as I get to be the inheriting son.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    BPsniper wrote: »

Why? He don't have Glocks and you don't like Colts... :)
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Why? He don't have Glocks and you don't like Colts... :)

I'm betting it's a couple long guns that are the apples of BOTH their eyes ...
    - George Orwell
    Well, there is that...

NRA Endowment Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Comparing the 1911 to the Glock is like comparing Jessica Alba to Rosie O'Donnell. MK?
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »

Cornered that position years ago, I mean after those 2 in front of me!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Comparing the 1911 to the Glock is like comparing Jessica Alba to Rosie O'Donnell. MK?

The same equipment just a different frame.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Junior said he wants to talk to you...BrandonKorea-July2009.jpg
    Hey, he's deployed. I'm right here. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Right.....Dad?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    Hey bro, what's "Farther's Day?" Is that the day we honor those who are farther from us?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Ned's Notes #2
    Hey bro, what's "Farther's Day?" Is that the day we honor those who are farther from us?
    I would write a note here; but that, the subject is so well covered.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    True but he did get me a cool pair of Oakleys for Farthers Day. I must have missed your card...son...

Darn postal service! Never can rely on it. There was a $1,000 check in there for you. Oh well, maybe next year. It's the thought, right?
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    . I have just never understood why there is that big of a following for the 1911. Im more of a rifle shooter than pistol, but still cant think of any rifle I would drool over like some talk about their 1911?????? Maybe Im just a weirdo...... lol. And I would have never thought that any .45ACP would weigh only 25 ounces. Thats surprising.
    .... .......Ummmmmmmm because the 1911 is a Light Sabre..............an elegent weapon from a more civilized age.....Ever played with a Holland & Holland...or a Swede.or a pre War Model 70........all worthy of drool.......And lightweight 45s have been around a day or two.........Star had the PD back in 75 that was only 25oz...Colt had the Commander at 25oz or so in the 50's............................
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    :rotflmao::spittingcoffee:.............Nice............Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth Member Posts: 136 Member
    I have read this entire thread and haven't a clue what anybody is talking about, assuming you're on topic of the OP. If this is a typical, amusing hijacking, then I follow. I can shoot a Glock very well, it just comes naturally to me. I don't have much experience with the 1911, but I'd like to give it a shot. Both should be able to adequately do the job for which they were designed. I would't mind a small mention in a will.
    Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Wambli as long as the Wilson Combat, the S&W 610 and the 44 semiauto are mine all is fine, just the 3 guns, I am not greedy and I rather get them while you are with us, first because you will be missed and that way I can say thank you in a proper manner.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".