Home Main Category General Firearms

I now own a... a... a .40 S&W...

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,733 Senior Member
Yes, I now own a cartridge that I openly criticize as "the answer that invented the question." HOWEVER, the capitalist in me saw a deal that I could not refuse and jumped on it.

I traded my NIB Glock 43 for a NIB Kahr PM40 with night sights, Crimson Trace laser sight, extra mag, and all associated paperwork. I'm not fond of Kahrs, and I'm not fond of the .40, but in trade value I profited several hundred dollars.

I guess the other guy REALLY wanted a Glock 43.

There may or may not be a range report, I may tuck it away as trade fodder. d65ab8057bce152f78f445739b98fe13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    The other guy has better taste.

:p
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    If you are just going to profit from owning a .40 short and weak then there is no need to feel shame.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    I don't want a Glock 43 or a Kahr PM40; but, the .40 S&W shoots right well for me.

The only drawback is that in my favorite .40 shooter, I have to use clips, as it is chambered for 10mm.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    Matt, I'm not sure about with the laser attached, but try dropping it in your pocket a few times, it doesn't take long for you to forget you have it on you, it's THAT handy and easy to carry.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member
    There may or may not be a range report, I may tuck it away as trade fodder.
    Oh go shoot the damn thing - you may be pleasantly surprised. It isn't like its a .270...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,249 Senior Member
    Turn and burn, Maverick. Turn and burn.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    Kahr...you'll love it. I think the laser is the devil's handiwork, but the basic platform is a good one. A true pocket gun.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I acquired my only .40 S&W in almost the exact same way. I traded an 'extra' XD45 for a Kahr K-40, straight up. I still have it, and it is a good shooter, but I would trade it to someone who knows what it is worth.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    So now you have a (K)car gun :driving: :tooth:

Sounds like a good deal you made there.

Whatever happened to the 1911 swap you were contemplating, I think it was a Ruger for a SA?

If you still have it, now you can trade the Kahr toward a SA and keep both?????
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Unlike a few folks on here, I like the .40 SW caliber and the Kahr platform is solid performer.

It will make excellent trade fodder and it would also do you well if kept.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Yes, I now own a cartridge that I openly criticize as "the answer that invented the question." HOWEVER, the capitalist in me saw a deal that I could not refuse and jumped on it.

I traded my NIB Glock 43 for a NIB Kahr PM40 with night sights, Crimson Trace laser sight, extra mag, and all associated paperwork. I'm not fond of Kahrs, and I'm not fond of the .40, but in trade value I profited several hundred dollars.

I guess the other guy REALLY wanted a Glock 43.

There may or may not be a range report, I may tuck it away as trade fodder. d65ab8057bce152f78f445739b98fe13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may not be a big pistol fan, but it's still a gun. If it's me, I'd take it out for a spin and see how I really like it, all else aside.

Me, I have trouble seeing anyone's aversion to a certain cartridge. They way I look at it, whether it be a 40 S&W or a .270 Win. I don't hold any animosity to any one cartridge. The way I see it, though the 40 is close to a 9, it's just a small increment larger. It may be just enough to be a slight improvement over a 9 that I fall in love with it. But I wouldn't know that until I tried it. But that's just me, and as always it's different strokes for different folks.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey snake, that makes sense..............when you go out to hunt with your .270, carry a .40 S&W for a backup to finish the job :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Don't be a hater on the laser - it doesn't hurt anything, and it has some utility for a pocket sized self-defense pistol. I've got three of them on subcompacts and the CT is a nice quality item that you can turn off till you need it. I leave mine on, because it doesn't bother me when using iron sights, and I believe that there is the distinct possibility that I might not have my glasses or that I might need to shoot from an odd position or from a dark room - it makes sense to me.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I may not be a big pistol fan, but it's still a gun. If it's me, I'd take it out for a spin and see how I really like it, all else aside.

Me, I have trouble seeing anyone's aversion to a certain cartridge. They way I look at it, whether it be a 40 S&W or a .270 Win. I don't hold any animosity to any one cartridge. The way I see it, though the 40 is close to a 9, it's just a small increment larger. It may be just enough to be a slight improvement over a 9 that I fall in love with it. But I wouldn't know that until I tried it. But that's just me, and as always it's different strokes for different folks.

How can you not be a big pistol fan ? Tell me, how how how ??
    Everything is geared up for handguns as sidearms for defensive porpoises, and since rifles are too cumbersome to stick down my pants, I will always be a big handgun fan and then an even bigger rifle fan for everything else.

Even as a LEO, that long gun or SMG was likely to be secured in the vehicle when I needed it most.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Kahr's are designed from the ground up for carry. 40 is semi substantially more powerful than the 9. My favorite part of the 40 is that it makes major and fits most anything that takes a 9. So when setting up or IPSC or IDPA with 4 slide/barrel combos and a rail I can choose between 6 classes to run with one platform to train with. Carry and shoot that thing!!! You'll never want anything else for what that does.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Hey snake, that makes sense..............when you go out to hunt with your .270, carry a .40 S&W for a backup to finish the job :jester:

Yes Chief, but I still have the same 20 rounds I bought for the finish gun in 1966. When they get hit with the powerful .270, providing you hit them right, they stay hit. No need for a finishing round. Just tag your deer and take it. My side arm is used for snakes and other vermin. :tooth::tooth::tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ShootrShootr New Member Posts: 25 New Member
    I got my XDm .40 in a similar way. They had it for sale in a gun shop for $150 below what it should have cost. I knew it had something wrong with it or that shop wouldn't have been selling it so cheap. I also knew I could get it fixed and it turned out to be for free. SA honored the warranty on it even though I wasn't the original owner. Real nice people to work with. I figured I could turn it over and make some cash but then a funny thing happened. I got my pistol back after sending it in for repairs and I discovered I liked it. It had none of the bad characteristics people say the .40 has. The recoil was very soft. Barrel flip was minimal and it fit my hand like a glove. Best of all it was accurate and second best it held 16 + 1 rounds. I always figured the .40 was a bad compromise between a 9mm and a .45. I found out it was a good compromise between the 9mm and the .45. I really like that pistol even if it is a bit big for CCW work. I can carry it concealed in the winter just fine but in the summer it gets tough. But I have other pistols that are easy to conceal in the summer. I can certainly see that a pistol built for a 9mm bullet could have a tough time with a .40 round. But the XDm seems to be plenty of gun to handle that round. I feel like I got the speed of a 9mm round and the weight of a .45 round. I like it.
    JeSuisCharlie
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    My condolences on getting a .40 S&W, but trading out of a Glock, for anything, is always a good idea.
    So a trading a Glock in .40 S&W for a HiPoint handgun in .40 S&W is a step up ?

Good thing I know better.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    So a trading a Glock in .40 S&W for a HiPoint handgun in .40 S&W is a step up ?

Good thing I know better.

Live and learn. Enjoy.
    I have, tools of the trade, tools for survival....
    Very true, I have burned into my feeble mind the need to keep my finger off the trigger until I need to shoot, it is like a big bright neon sign with a voice that reminds; keep that finger off the trigger until I need to shoot.